PDA

View Full Version : Just read Justice League #1

outlawmojo
08-31-2011, 03:01 PM
And I have to say I wasn't impressed. Jim Lee does a good job, but the story seems like the beginning of every elseworlds comic ever.

I will pick up #2 just to see what is going to happen, but I am not impressed.

ronin7
08-31-2011, 03:30 PM
What do you expect? It's by Geoff Johns, so naturally it will be crap.

Mwynn
08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
What do you expect? It's by Geoff Johns, so naturally it will be crap.

:yawn:

Lovecraft13
08-31-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm about to read the book, but I'm not expecting much. Regarding the entire reboot, you can't just reboot 51 books and kinda leave Batman alone. I mean, we already have a thousand current and previous Robins running around, right? Either do it all the way or not at all.

Allegory Comics
08-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Just back from the shop, and I got FLASHPOINT #5 (the lead-into the new DCnU) and JL #1.

I think FLASHPOINT was kind of "blah" all around. I enjoyed this last issue, though, seeing Superman come back and start taking names. Really, the only purpose of FLASHPOINT is to point us into the direction of the new universe. And it does that in this issue.

Then I read JUSTICE LEAGUE #1.

I liked it. I think it's an explosive start to the new universe. It sets up very quickly that these are NOT the same characters you thought you knew. Hal is very arrogant, and so is Superman, I think. He was only on one page, but from what I'm hearing this new Superman will be enjoying his powers. Not like the old Superman, who was more reserved and measured in his behavior.

And as much I hated the new costume when I first saw it, I've come to realize I just hated the way Perez drew it. With a better artist like Jim Lee (fuck you, he's still awesome) the costume looks much better. It's all in how it's drawn, I guess.

I'm really looking forward to reading ACTION COMICS next week to get Superman's new backstory and see how much has changed. Plus, I love Grant Morrison, and the art by Rags Morales looks really nice. I am not as much looking forward to the SUPERMAN title (Sept 28) because the art looks like some 1980s shit. But I'll be there, too.

Lovecraft13
08-31-2011, 06:55 PM
I personally thought Johns peaked before Blackest Night. From that miniseries on, I was never crazy for his work. I hoped Flashpoint would change my mind, but it didn't.

ronin7
08-31-2011, 07:54 PM
I personally thought Johns peaked before Blackest Night. From that miniseries on, I was never crazy for his work. I hoped Flashpoint would change my mind, but it didn't.

Yeah, about the time of Infinite Crisis, the luster wore off on Johns. He went from a perhaps John Byrne type into a poor Brian Bendis imitation.

Lovecraft13
08-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Finished JL#1. DC should have taken a year off publishing anything before relaunching their line. You can't have Superman saving the world one week, and begin anew this week with who's Superman? It's lame, and reads like a gimmick.

Allegory Comics
08-31-2011, 08:41 PM
I didn't get that feeling at all -- but I've been reading FLASHPOINT all along, so this all felt very natural to me. And new readers (at whom this is targetted) won't know or care what Superman did last week.

By the way, I read Superman comics last week as I have always done. They were nothing special. It was very boring and disappointing way to end the run, I thought.

N Hammer
08-31-2011, 09:20 PM
It was ok. I think should have had more characters in it. It's the Justice League not Brave and the Bold. I'll get the next issue.

I actually thought Superman looked good. I think I can get use to the knew costume.

Shep
08-31-2011, 09:59 PM
I thought it was a good start and the Superman page was pretty awesome!

CHWolf
08-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Heard Jim Lee talking about this on NPR.

What big change does he mention to garner interest from the listeners?

"Clark Kent now works for Lois Lane."

WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA.

mind. blown.

Evan Henry
09-05-2011, 05:04 AM

A few days ago, I would have agreed with you. But recently I've been getting caught up on his recent GL stuff and it is good. Like, it would be as good as the pre-Blackest Night stuff if Reis was still drawing the book. Brightest Day was sort of "Meh+" for me -- good, not great. Johns' writing is starting to recover from his post-BN decline, though.

Haven't read all of Flashpoint yet. I read the first two issues about a month ago and thought they were okay.

ronin7
09-05-2011, 10:25 AM
A few days ago, I would have agreed with you. But recently I've been getting caught up on his recent GL stuff and it is good. Like, it would be as good as the pre-Blackest Night stuff if Reis was still drawing the book. Brightest Day was sort of "Meh+" for me -- good, not great. Johns' writing is starting to recover from his post-BN decline, though.

Haven't read all of Flashpoint yet. I read the first two issues about a month ago and thought they were okay.

You do realize that Sinestro is the current GL which makes no sense what so ever?

Allegory Comics
09-05-2011, 11:09 AM
The GL book starts with Sinestro wearing a ring, but Hal will be the DCnU GL. He's already been seen in JL #1. Most likely, the GL book starts with Sinestro (who was originally a Lantern, remember), and within a few issues Hal takes over as Sinestro turns bad.

What's so crazy about a story featuring the fall of Sinestro and the rise of Hal?

ronin7
09-05-2011, 12:24 PM
The GL book starts with Sinestro wearing a ring, but Hal will be the DCnU GL. He's already been seen in JL #1. Most likely, the GL book starts with Sinestro (who was originally a Lantern, remember), and within a few issues Hal takes over as Sinestro turns bad.

What's so crazy about a story featuring the fall of Sinestro and the rise of Hal?

Been told a million times before, like Grant Morrison, Johns is just telling the same stories done by actual high caliber writers from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Nothing Morrison, or Johns have done in the past ten years has been new, fresh, or innovative.

Moonrider
09-05-2011, 12:54 PM
And as much I hated the new costume when I first saw it, I've come to realize I just hated the way Perez drew it. With a better artist like Jim Lee (fuck you, he's still awesome) the costume looks much better. It's all in how it's drawn, I guess.

I haven't read it, but I agree with this. The previews made me think that having Perez on board is a bad idea.

Been told a million times before, like Grant Morrison, Johns is just telling the same stories done by actual high caliber writers from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Nothing Morrison, or Johns have done in the past ten years has been new, fresh, or innovative.

You can say that about most comic writers these days.

JamieRoberts
09-05-2011, 04:18 PM
You really can't. Comic book writers are far, far superior now to their 60s and 70s equivalents, on the whole. They suffer from three negatives:

1) There have been tens of thousands of superhero comics published since the 70s. I challenge anyone to come up with a truly original story which doesn't result in the loss of a long term character's identity.

2) Publishers are demanding more emphasis on social relevance and less on fun.

3) Fans continue to support titles even when the quality drops, so publishers continue to expect as much and don't push creativity like they should.

ronin7
09-05-2011, 04:21 PM
You really can't. Comic book writers are far, far superior now to their 60s and 70s equivalents, on the whole. They suffer from three negatives:

1) There have been tens of thousands of superhero comics published since the 70s. I challenge anyone to come up with a truly original story which doesn't result in the loss of a long term character's identity.

2) Publishers are demanding more emphasis on social relevance and less on fun.

3) Fans continue to support titles even when the quality drops, so publishers continue to expect as much and don't push creativity like they should.

Denny O'Neil by himself can write better than most of the comic writers today. That is not opinion, it is pure fact.

JamieRoberts
09-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Denny O'Neil by himself can write better than most of the comic writers today. That is not opinion, it is pure fact.

It's opinion. Don't be obtuse. This is the kind of comment which hinders the growth of an artform.

Evan Henry
09-05-2011, 07:35 PM
You do realize that Sinestro is the current GL which makes no sense what so ever?

Makes about as much sense as the concept of the Green Lantern Corps does to begin with.

With every superhero comic there's a certain level of disbelief that must be suspended. Sinestro having a green ring again is well within my acceptable limit. Like Allegory said, this won't last forever, and if some cool stories come out of it, I have no problem with it.

I've been reading Johns' stuff long enough to know that he's got a plan. Most likely, it'll make sense in the end and everything will be awesome. Johns isn't perfect, but he's the closest DC has right now.

Also, I do think O'Neil could out-write most modern writers. I'm not thick enough to say that that's a fact, though. :laugh:

ronin7
09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
It's opinion. Don't be obtuse. This is the kind of comment which hinders the growth of an artform.

The growth of an artform hindered by what? The fact that Alan Moore is a brainless, sexist imbecile who tries to act like he has intelligence and wit? I guess we all should be inspired to be buffoons who have such limited views of morality, decency, and a huge self-indulgence.

JamieRoberts
09-05-2011, 08:35 PM
The growth of an artform hindered by what? The fact that Alan Moore is a brainless, sexist imbecile who tries to act like he has intelligence and wit? I guess we all should be inspired to be buffoons who have such limited views of morality, decency, and a huge self-indulgence.

That's one hell of an assumption you just made. You really think my idea of comics only goes as far as Alan Moore? Jesus, no. (He talks a lot of crap but has talent, even if he seems content to write can fiction these days.) Still, my point was that looking back at a creator of a bygone era and stating (as fact, no less) that they are better than the current crop as casually as all of that only serves to feed the misapprehension that comic book fans don't like change. Why do you think this much-publicized DC reboot hasn't *actually* messed with the characters very much? Because 'we' don't want it to.

I want to see the artform progress, innovate and flourish and I think most fans would if they could just get over their bloody nostalgia.

CHWolf
09-05-2011, 09:55 PM

Where can I check out one of your scripts?

Anyone can like or dislike things, but this is getting into territory where I kind of feel like I'd like to know what exactly you're standing on to go that far into judging someone else's work.

It's the diff. between "Liefeld can't draw" and "Liefeld is a sexist monster rapist dick who has no intellect and thinks clouds are made of bird farts."

Plus, calling comic creators "sexist" is like calling a Bear a woods-shitter. Unequal treatment of female characters unfortunately permiates the frontier of "comics" and has since its beginnings.

Moonrider
09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
You really can't. Comic book writers are far, far superior now to their 60s and 70s equivalents, on the whole.

Well what I meant was, if originality is the problem in comics these days then the blame shouldn't be exclusive to Morrison and Johns. What about Brian Bendis? Or any other writer/creator in the business today, for that matter. And no, I don't agree that originality is the main problem either. Anything derivative can be seen as an original if shown to fresh, unspoiled eyes. A tale as classic as Robin Hood can be retold many times with different approach every time and people will still read or watch it.

eDKeener
09-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I picked up JL #1 this weekend, and I actually kind of liked it. I liked that the characters were different. Not necessarily new, but were definitely different. I didn't mind that it only introduced us to Hal and Bruce, with a peek at Clark at the end. You have to start somewhere introducing the new status quo or it would just be...oh here's a threat! here's some heroes to fight the threat! Go. Which I think would have been a bigger failure than slowly introducing all the characters and letting us have a moment to "meet" them again. There were some great lines in the book, even if some were a little over the top (Hal always referring to himself as Green Lantern) but it makes sense when you think that these guys have never met. And would you seriously spill your secret identity to a guy that you weren't sure even existed 10 minutes after you met him.

Lee's art was good on the book. I just hope he can keep up with the monthly schedule.

I'll be buying the next issue and most likely at least the first arc, just so I can "meet" all the new takes on the characters.

ronin7
09-07-2011, 03:46 PM
That's one hell of an assumption you just made. You really think my idea of comics only goes as far as Alan Moore? Jesus, no. (He talks a lot of crap but has talent, even if he seems content to write can fiction these days.) Still, my point was that looking back at a creator of a bygone era and stating (as fact, no less) that they are better than the current crop as casually as all of that only serves to feed the misapprehension that comic book fans don't like change. Why do you think this much-publicized DC reboot hasn't *actually* messed with the characters very much? Because 'we' don't want it to.

I want to see the artform progress, innovate and flourish and I think most fans would if they could just get over their bloody nostalgia.

No, I like change, what I don't like is every creator under the sun imitating Alan Moore and Grant Morrison. They had their decade of prominence even if I think their work is childish, egotistical, and reeks of stupidity. Which they do. Orson Scott Card for example is more innovative than Morrison and Moore. David Eddings and his wife are more innovative. Hell, I could name Brian Jacques and Terry Pratchett who have better and fresher takes on ideas and even create new ones that have been rarely seen.

Moore and Morrison just keep writing the same stories again and again that their predecessors wrote, and use shock and awe to make them seem kewl.

PC812
09-13-2011, 08:25 AM
I read the first issue and it was okay but a bit too slow. I really hoped there would be more going on, though. I think a book called Justice League #1 should feature all the members of the JL, even if they don't all join together just yet. Maybe some global crisis and showing each of the heroes reacting to it would have been good.

If I was a first-time reader, I'm not so sure what happens in this issue would convince me to buy the second.

Duane Korslund
10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
It was...ok...not great by any means...I spent the weekend reading up on some of the new titles...I read : JLA, Action, Detective, Flash, and Green Lantern...I really wasnt terribly impressed with any of them (especially flash...really didnt like that JLA was probably the best of em IMHO). They're mediocre, and honestly I'd expect more from some of the top names in comics, but then I do understand...It's all been done so why try to come up with anything fresh and new right? Looks like DC is taking a page from Hollywoods lackadaisical autobiography.

ronin7
10-03-2011, 12:48 PM
It was...ok...not great by any means...I spent the weekend reading up on some of the new titles...I read : JLA, Action, Detective, Flash, and Green Lantern...I really wasnt terribly impressed with any of them (especially flash...really didnt like that JLA was probably the best of em IMHO). They're mediocre, and honestly I'd expect more from some of the top names in comics, but then I do understand...It's all been done so why try to come up with anything fresh and new right? Looks like DC is taking a page from Hollywoods lackadaisical autobiography.

There's plenty of ways, creators just don't care anymore. They think if they write/draw it. People should automatically buy it. If Clint Eastwood and Stephan Spielberg had that mentality they wouldn't be so wealthy and well-renowned!

Biofungus
11-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Jim Lee's Darkseid. Meh.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/14/jim-lees-darkseid/