PDA

View Full Version : What Image titles are you reading?

eDKeener
08-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I know Rob read The Infinite, not picking that one because I'm just not interested in the story, but what other Image books are you reading?

Right now I'm reading:

Mice Templar
The Walking Dead
Invincible
Green Wake
Morning Glories
Skullkickers

ronin7
08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Still reading Invincible. Less interested in anything else from Image.

eDKeener
08-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Why's that? Just curious.

ronin7
08-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Why's that? Just curious.

The first several issues of Savage Dragon I read not too long ago were good, but Larsen spends too much time bitching about the Big Two when Image isn't that different. The only run on Spawn I liked was Bendis/Niles run. Walking Dead was too dark for me. Nothing else has caught my interest yet.

eDKeener
08-05-2011, 05:10 PM
That's cool...what do you normally read?

ronin7
08-05-2011, 08:37 PM
That's cool...what do you normally read?

DMZ

Local

Ultimate Human

Walt Simonson's run on Fantastic Four (it is inferior to Byrne's run)

Walt Simonson's run on The Mighty Thor (Not sure how I feel on it yet. I haven't read the second volume yet.)

Pretty much any comic that could expand my writing ability. I tend to stay away from Morrison, Casey, and Moore's work like they are contaminated with the plague.

Gonzogoose
08-06-2011, 02:18 AM
When I can:

The Walking Dead
Invincible
Morning Glories

That's really it these days. I tried Haunt for a while, fell behind and really had no desire to catch up. Wasn't bad, just not something I have to read.

I've heard good things about Chew and Proof, but never really tried them.

Got into the Artifacts stuff from Top Cow for a bit, fell behind and haven't been able to catch up yet.

I miss Noble Causes. Was never a fan of Spawn or Savage Dragon. And not much else they put out really appeals to me.

ronin7
08-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Finished Invincible Ultimate Collection 6. Great stories, I hope Eve doesn't abort her and Mark's baby. Waiting for the next volume.

eDKeener
08-08-2011, 01:45 PM
DMZ

Local

Ultimate Human

Walt Simonson's run on Fantastic Four (it is inferior to Byrne's run)

Walt Simonson's run on The Mighty Thor (Not sure how I feel on it yet. I haven't read the second volume yet.)

Pretty much any comic that could expand my writing ability. I tend to stay away from Morrison, Casey, and Moore's work like they are contaminated with the plague.

That's cool. I've read some of DMZ.

eDKeener
08-08-2011, 01:48 PM
When I can:

The Walking Dead
Invincible
Morning Glories

That's really it these days. I tried Haunt for a while, fell behind and really had no desire to catch up. Wasn't bad, just not something I have to read.

I've heard good things about Chew and Proof, but never really tried them.

Got into the Artifacts stuff from Top Cow for a bit, fell behind and haven't been able to catch up yet.

I miss Noble Causes. Was never a fan of Spawn or Savage Dragon. And not much else they put out really appeals to me.

Chew and Proof are both excellent in my opinion. Proof just went on hiatus with the end of the Endangered Mini, so picking up the trades would be worth it now. :D

Chew is so off the wall that it's great. It's a little corny, and little silly, and a little dramatic all in one. It's offbeat, but the story is really good, and the Rob's art is unlike anything out there. Just don't go in with hyperrealistic expectation, and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Loved everything Jay has done. Noble Causes was great, as was Dynamo 5 that he wrote. Highly recommend picking up D5 if you liked Noble Causes.

ronin7
08-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Chew and Proof are both excellent in my opinion. Proof just went on hiatus with the end of the Endangered Mini, so picking up the trades would be worth it now. :D

Chew is so off the wall that it's great. It's a little corny, and little silly, and a little dramatic all in one. It's offbeat, but the story is really good, and the Rob's art is unlike anything out there. Just don't go in with hyperrealistic expectation, and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Loved everything Jay has done. Noble Causes was great, as was Dynamo 5 that he wrote. Highly recommend picking up D5 if you liked Noble Causes.

I've been meaning to read D5 and Noble Causes. I have read that people don't take to the books because they are too on the nose Fantastic Four pastiches.

eDKeener
08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that statement. Noble Causes is a for all intents and purposes a superhero soap opera. Jay wrote to focus more on the Noble family and what happens when they aren't being superheros, more than it being a superhero comic book. Take the non-powered Liz, have her marry in to the family, and see what happens. That's basically the premise behind it. I really enjoyed it, because it was a different look at the superhero genre.

D5 is basically take the worlds greatest super hero. Find out that he was unfaithful to his wife and that he had many children around the world, and in one case off world. He dies, his wife goes out, finds 5 of the children (ranging in age from high school to college age) and they each get one of Captain Dynamo's powers. Now make them a team, and defend the city that Captain Dynamo had called home.

Those are basic breakdowns of what the stories are about. I'm a big fan of Jay's writing, and I found both of those stories when superhero comics in general were starting to wear on me with the recycled stories.

ronin7
08-08-2011, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that statement. Noble Causes is a for all intents and purposes a superhero soap opera. Jay wrote to focus more on the Noble family and what happens when they aren't being superheros, more than it being a superhero comic book. Take the non-powered Liz, have her marry in to the family, and see what happens. That's basically the premise behind it. I really enjoyed it, because it was a different look at the superhero genre.

D5 is basically take the worlds greatest super hero. Find out that he was unfaithful to his wife and that he had many children around the world, and in one case off world. He dies, his wife goes out, finds 5 of the children (ranging in age from high school to college age) and they each get one of Captain Dynamo's powers. Now make them a team, and defend the city that Captain Dynamo had called home.

Those are basic breakdowns of what the stories are about. I'm a big fan of Jay's writing, and I found both of those stories when superhero comics in general were starting to wear on me with the recycled stories.

Sounds very, very interesting. I think I will bump those books up the list.

eDKeener
09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Let me know what you think, if you check them out. :happy:

ronin7
09-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Let me know what you think, if you check them out. :happy:

Liked Dynamo 5 very much, Noble Causes not so much. I've giving it one more trade to impress me.

Biofungus
09-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Image? They still making comics? Huh, go figure...

ronin7
09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, Robert Kirkman's Skybound has cracked the international barrier in Japan. I guess he now has distribution deals to have his comics translated overseas.

eDKeener
09-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Liked Dynamo 5 very much, Noble Causes not so much. I've giving it one more trade to impress me.

That cool, that you liked D5. I really enjoyed it. Noble Causes took a little bit for me to get in to also. I think the ongoing was better than the limited series leading up to the ongoing, but it's cool that you checked it out.

eDKeener
09-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Image? They still making comics? Huh, go figure...

I actually like Image books. They have been putting out some good stuff lately, and all sorts of genres.

JamieRoberts
09-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Butcher Baker, the Righteous Maker. It's not clever but it is big, visually arresting and revels in being a comic, which is rare in these days of movie deals and cinematic art.

Mic. Gee
09-21-2011, 08:16 PM
If I were reading Image Comics I would be reading...

Savage Dragon. For some reason when Erik decides to just write a comic it comes out awful. When he's writing and drawing, his writing is much better. I stopped reading after issue 75, because Erik turned the entire comic into an entire tribute to 1970s Jack Kirby's comics. Nothing wrong with that...but I got bored and wondered off.

Elephantmen. Letterer Richard Starkings showed me that he could write some interesting comics. The writing is the only thing that has been consistent over the years but I do occasionally see good art on Elephantmen, although it's not always the European comics influenced comic art that I became accustomed to.

Anything that Ron Marz is writing for Top Cow. I'm surprised more isn't being said about him. He's one of the very few writers who have actually improved over the years. He's no Neil Gaiman, but he's turning out really decent , likable work through Top Cow. I look more forward to a Ron Marz comic than a Frank Miller comic. One continues to disappoint, the other keeps exceeding my expectations.

I'm really behind on all of these titles. Some I haven't read in a few years, or in the Savage Dragon's case, SEVERAL years but I do want to get back into them at some point.

Evan Henry
09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
I've heard good things about Orc Stain, but haven't checked it out yet.

eDKeener
09-22-2011, 11:14 AM
I've heard good things about Marz' stuff at the TopCow U. I've read bits and pieces and enjoyed it.

I've also heard good things about Orc Stain, but the art didn't appeal to me. But the people that I know that have read it seemed to enjoy it.

I need to pick up Jay Faerber's Near Death that just started this week. I like his writing and the art style on the book.