PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's pissing me off again...

Biofungus
06-16-2011, 07:53 PM
No, really. I don't mind this 'fear itself' crossover (and some of the individual titles have rather interesting and unique takes on the theme), but what is annoying me is that while all this is going on, they decide, "hey, let's throw a couple of other mini-series out there that are also world shattering at the same time!"

Like "Iron Age", and the multi-part X-men thingie (leading up to the relaunch), and I'm sure a few others.

All they're doing is ensuring that these little "side projects" lose sales. They should wait until after the crossover, after people have budgeted for the extra books, and then when the crossover is done and people have some 'leftover' in their comic budget, then throw out the side projects.

Evan Henry
06-16-2011, 08:03 PM
I thought maybe the foot-shooting would stop once Quesada was out, but it seems like Axel Alonso is perfectly willing to just keep firing away at that bloody stump. At this point, I'm actually convinced that this is all Bendis's fault. I used to like his writing, but him being allowed to practically run Marvel from the top down is, IMO, why Marvel is in this mess and has been in it since 2006 at least. Quesada was no help either, but there doesn't seem to be any change in direction for Marvel since Alonso took over, and that is immensely disappointing to me.

It WILL bite them in the ass eventually. And you know what'll happen then?

NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME!

ronin7
06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Bendis has NO control over Fear Itself, Iron Age, or Schism. Those ideas were hatched by the writers of said books themselves. Fraction and Brubaker came up with Fear Itself, Robbie Williams came up with Iron Age, and Jason Aaron came up with Schism.

Evan Henry
06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Bendis has NO control over Fear Itself, Iron Age, or Schism. Those ideas were hatched by the writers of said books themselves. Fraction and Brubaker came up with Fear Itself, Robbie Williams came up with Iron Age, and Jason Aaron came up with Schism.

I realize that. I'm just saying that him having carte blanche over the entire Marvel Universe with crap like House of M and Secret Invasion is bad for the company and did nothing to help the overall state of the universe. It basically got Marvel into the great-big-fucking-cosmic-crisis-every-six-months-that-changes-nothing-and-just-fucks-everything-else-up-something-fierce cycle that has been going steady since Avengers Assemble.

ronin7
06-17-2011, 09:03 PM
I realize that. I'm just saying that him having carte blanche over the entire Marvel Universe with crap like House of M and Secret Invasion is bad for the company and did nothing to help the overall state of the universe. It basically got Marvel into the great-big-fucking-cosmic-crisis-every-six-months-that-changes-nothing-and-just-fucks-everything-else-up-something-fierce cycle that has been going steady since Avengers Assemble.

House Of M was just designed to clean up Morrison's shitty New X-Men run, it wasn't until Civil War came out of nowhere from Millar that Bendis designed Secret Invasion. But, can Bendis be blamed when none of the writers wanted to wipe the Civil War taint from Iron Man, Cap, etc?

Besides, Johns has done far more damage to the DCU with Infinite Crisis, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and Flashpoint.

Evan Henry
06-17-2011, 11:05 PM
House Of M was just designed to clean up Morrison's shitty New X-Men run, it wasn't until Civil War came out of nowhere from Millar that Bendis designed Secret Invasion. But, can Bendis be blamed when none of the writers wanted to wipe the Civil War taint from Iron Man, Cap, etc?

Directly? No. But, face it, Bendis practically ran the big picture at Marvel Comics from Secret Invasion up until post-Siege, and all these so-called attempts to "correct" other things that have happened only end up failing miserably and making everything twenty times worse off than it was before.

I'd disagree about Johns' storylines actually "damaging" the DCU. Convoluted stories with pointless endings? Arguably (though Blackest Night is still the best miniseries event ever, IMO), but Bendis has caused more damage to the characters themselves and their continuity than anything Johns has done.

ronin7
06-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Directly? No. But, face it, Bendis practically ran the big picture at Marvel Comics from Secret Invasion up until post-Siege, and all these so-called attempts to "correct" other things that have happened only end up failing miserably and making everything twenty times worse off than it was before.

I'd disagree about Johns' storylines actually "damaging" the DCU. Convoluted stories with pointless endings? Arguably (though Blackest Night is still the best miniseries event ever, IMO), but Bendis has caused more damage to the characters themselves and their continuity than anything Johns has done.

Yeah, alienating the core fanbase, strip mining the Silver Age, and constantly destroying popular books to launch shitty books. Doesn't sound like Johns at all...

Johns has made DC so impenetrable that even what little is left of the core readers don't have a fucking clue what is going on, and stopped giving a damn about Superman, Batman, and all the other books.

Compared to Bendis who launched the successful Dark, Mighty, New Avengers and had the most successful run on the Avengers out of the past three decades.

Evan Henry
06-20-2011, 10:46 PM
I like most of Johns' stuff, so I'm biased, I guess. DC really isn't anywhere near as "impenetrable" as people like to think. It's no more impenetrable than Marvel, at any rate. Johns seems to be able to actually tell decent stories without turning the whole universe on its head (Sinestro Corps, Rebirth, Titans, Lightning Saga, etc.) while Bendis seems to operate on constant gimmicks (Dark Reign, Secret Invasion, Avengers Disassembled, etc.). I'm not saying that Johns hasn't done gimmicks (Brightest Day, for one. Blackest Night, arguably) but the way I see it Bendis uses them as a crutch to cover up his poor dialogue. (Watch the Spider-Woman motion comic and you'll see how those one-liners he throws in utterly fail to actually leave a person's mouth naturally).

I like some of what Bendis has done, and I'm by no means anti-Marvel. I liked Civil War, and Siege was alright. The core House of M miniseries was pretty good. But the constant gimmicks and mass crossovers piss me the hell off. And if DC continues going in this direction I'll probably be dropping a lot of titles.

Mwynn
06-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Johns has made DC so impenetrable that even what little is left of the core readers don't have a fucking clue what is going on, and stopped giving a damn about Superman, Batman, and all the other books.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?

ronin7
06-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?

The evidence is in Johns writing. Hal Jordon was clearly shown as racist, pig headed, and a moron in the Silver Age and Pre-Johns/Didio Era. Once Johns came aboard, all of Hal's flaws melt away. The book becomes goofy with cartoonish Tarantino violence, and bad dialogue mixed with the lamest plot devices ever produced.

Sure, Bendis isn't the best plotter in the world, but House Of M and Avengers Disassembled had more going for it than the clusterfucks Johns has produced.