PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Real Cityscapes...

Gav Heryng
04-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi, guys. Does anyone have any tips on drawing real cityscapes, in particular aerial views of a real existing city? The project I'm working on at the moment has two aerial views of the same city from different angles but it's so complex it's killing me to draw it. The best reference I've got is an aerial shot from Google Earth, so I've got the layout of the city fine, but getting all the buildings in seems impossible and it's just a flat low-res photo.

Anybody got any experience with drawing real cities and how to make easier without compromising the quality of the art?

Cheers

Gav

galmando
04-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi, guys. Does anyone have any tips on drawing real cityscapes, in particular aerial views of a real existing city? The project I'm working on at the moment has two aerial views of the same city from different angles but it's so complex it's killing me to draw it. The best reference I've got is an aerial shot from Google Earth, so I've got the layout of the city fine, but getting all the buildings in seems impossible and it's just a flat low-res photo.

Anybody got any experience with drawing real cities and how to make easier without compromising the quality of the art?

Cheers

Gav

yeah, learn to draw and get some talent you hack

Phatman
04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Gav:

Have you tried using Google Sketch-up? I've built several cityscapes from their models and just some basic buildings that I built myself as a reference. You can change the angles and points of view as needed. It's a nice tool to keep things consistent.

Dominic
04-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Perspective, perspective, perspective.
Study two and three point perspective like your life depends on it.
Get David Chelsea's books on perspective for comics and use the grids on his DVD.
Reference photos are important, but read up on architecture as well. Rendering a believable city is about more than just drawing boxes with windows....the details have to ring true. To do this, you're going to need to know something about how buildings are constructed.
And I'll second the recommendation for Sketchup. If you really want to cheat (to save time, or meet a deadline) you can load a model in Sketchup, shift your perspective to where you want it, and have the program render just the outlines of the structures.

Newt
04-13-2011, 12:42 PM
What is the purpose of it? Is it background for an action illustration, or are you creating a tourist map, or what? How important is it that viewers be able to accurately identify each building?

I'd suggest that for most purposes only major landmark buildings need to be accurate; just draw some houses in a housing area, warehouses in a warehouse district, etc. Nobody should be miffed that you drew 123 Commerce Street with two awnings instead of three, or you showed three split-levels instead of five single homes on Main between Shiv Alley and Shank Lane or whatever. Think about the amount of time people are realistically going to look at this image and adjust the amount of effort you're going to put into it accordingly. Looking right is better than being right.

Scribbly
04-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Cheers
Gav
If you have these photo references from Earth, you can use them as
reference for your drawing, enhancing what you consider should be enhanced.
Buildings are just square blocks with different endings.

Gav Heryng
05-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm still struggling with it. I was surprised I had suchg a huge weakness in my skill level. Spent too much time focusing on figures, I suppose.

Gav

Biofungus
06-09-2011, 02:10 PM
You're far from the only one, Gav.

I can draw a cityscape from a photo and it still doesn't look right.