PDA

View Full Version : Advice for making large scale ellipses

Biofungus
01-11-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm talking about ellipses that are way too big for a template. Something that may take up a third or more of a full sized comic page. I know there are several tricks for doing a circle on a large scale, but any for an elliptical shape?

Newt
01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.mathopenref.com/constellipse1.html

Biofungus
01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
This is gonna sound very nerdy, but I actually remember this from Math class (not the strings part, but the 'set up'). Thanks Newt!

Justice41
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Ok this may sound stupid, Scan in the ellipse template you have Scan at hi rez like 400 dpi. enlarge or reduce the scan and save the files separately. Print out a few of the sizes that seem like the one you need. The hardest part is transferring the template to your board. Do it freehand from a lightbox. You need a good set of french curves. Use the french curves to make the sketchy lines solid. Done.
Every sillier, I used to just hold the template close to my face until what i was looking at was right on the artwork then still holding the template try to sketch the ellipse as best as I could then used french curves to make it solid. Whateveh works.