PDA

View Full Version : Axel Alonso named new EIC

HaphazardJoy
01-04-2011, 01:52 PM
http://marvel.com/news/story/14932/marvel_entertainment_promotes_axel_alonso_to_edito r-in-chief

Axel's taking the EIC chair, Quesada is focusing on Marvel's presence in other media. I think I'm liking this news.

Mark Bertolini
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm liking it as well. The guy who helped usher in Preacher in this type of role? Gives me some hope for the future.

Paul Sanderson
01-04-2011, 06:58 PM
He's gotta be better than that fool Joe Q.

Doctor Shock
01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
No he doesn't.

Phatman
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM

I'm surprised that it took you three posts to complain about Quesada. His results don't lie>>>Marvel is number one and thriving thanks to him. Axel has a tough act to follow.

Paul Sanderson
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
They were number 1 before Joe Q. was there. The numbers simply haven't changed, and sales across the board continue to go down. I see nothing special in what the man did. I see plenty of bad things, though.

No he doesn't.

Nobody can be as bad as Joe Q., though we have to wait and see if Axel does anything worthwhile.

Doctor Shock
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Nobody can be as bad as Joe Q.Give him a chance.

Paul Sanderson
01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm giving him a chance to prove me wrong. I suspect he will, as Joe Q. was the Dubya of the comic world.

HaphazardJoy
01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm giving him a chance to prove me wrong. I suspect he will, as Joe Q. was the Dubya of the comic world.

Joe did fantastic with expanding Marvel as a brand, something I happen to know you appreciate, the films at least. Being primarily an X-franchise fan, I'll also say that he treated a lot of the titles with respect, and was even instrumental in a couple of the best in-continuity books of the past decade (NYX especially). A LOT of decisions he made had me groaning and rolling my eyes, most egregiously Spider-man related, but he wasn't nearly as bad as Dubya.

ronin7
01-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Comic sales are naturally in the toilet not because of publishers lack of trying, but because of A) the cost of comics and B) worries about the economy. Prior to the harsh economic times, Joe led Marvel to near Shooter era sales with Civil War, New Avengers, and irrc House Of M. That's something that had not happened in a long time. I believe Axel will come in and inject his own sense of pacing and forward thinking to the brand. And once we get out of this harsh economic times. Marvel will be back to the fore front of sales again.

HaphazardJoy
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
I agree but disagree Ronin. The future of the medium is still in doubt as far as I'm concerned. With the way prices have had to go up, it's harder and harder to make the case for $4 print comics when there's online and tpb volumes. I LIKE my comics, I still buy them from a local shop, but let me tell you, I just spent $60 for the last three weeks worth of pulls and my wallet felt it. Most people aren't as attached to the real deal. That being said, Joe has ensured that Marvel as a brand will continue to thrive, even if the traditional comic book doesn't.

Paul Sanderson
01-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Sales continue to go down across the board due to several factors:

a) cost (as Haphazard says).
b) lack of awareness factor (ie. comics not available in wide enough locations).
c) comic companies catering to a dwindling/ageing fan-base, rather than getting new and younger readers into comics (which partly ties into point b).

Joe Q. did nothing to rectify any of the above points, and comic sales are still suffering as a result across the board. What Joe Q. did do was entrench the lame-ass, gimmicky epic storylines (which Dan DiDio, the DC idiot, champions also), introduce stupid stories such as Peter Parker making a deal with Satan (eg. Mephisto) to resurrect Aunt May but lose him Mary Jane, increase the publishing slate to truly banal levels and thereby diminishing the quality slate and bring such lousy talent as JMS and others to the company. Umm...no thanks.

Good riddance I say. My best wishes go to Axel Alonso. He has a helluva lot of work to do to try and fix things.

Fresco
01-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Looking at the Big Picture --one word comes to mind... CONTEXT.

Its easy to sweat the small stuff today when Marvel is doing well. Really well considering the current state of the economy. In spite of the doom and gloom of the past decade... they not only stayed afloat, they flourished.

Yep, Context: When Joe came on board, he was handed a sinking ship by relative unknowns, in a rapidly imploding and uncertain industry. He somehow managed to snatch it out of the Jaws of Death. Surrounded himself with amazing people to delegate the necessary day to day minutia to; kept his finger on the pulse somehow; and got some kickass art done in the process too.

Anyone recall that harsh reality of looming bankruptcy? If Marvel crashed and burned, the entire Industry would have perished. Like it or not, Marvel is the keystone... pull it out, everything else comes crumbling down. Joe was the guy at the wheel, and masterfully navigated those choppy waters best he knew how.

Its easy to armchair quarterback today when its not so scary. It's another thing entirely to stand on the field and have everyone racing towards you, trying to knock your ass down with each and every play. He not only connected with enough plays to win the game every week... he won when it counted the most... losing was simply not an option.

We're all still here to talk about it years later, because Marvel is still in the game. We all owe Joe a heap of respect and gratitude.

'nuff said!

:)

Mark Bertolini
01-06-2011, 12:54 AM
All I know is that when I look at my bookshelf, I see more Marvel titles than anything else. That's pretty much all down to Joe Q, since prior to him coming on board, I couldn't be bothered with just about anything Marvel published.

Biofungus
01-06-2011, 05:17 AM
And let's be honest, if it wasn't for the Marvel Knights imprint which eventually lead to the Ultimates universe, there probably wouldn't be much in the way of Marvel Movies. It's the more realistic grittiness of the Ultimate U. that got Hollywood all abuzz.

I think part of it though, is why Joe had Jemas early on. He needed a fall guy when part of the revitalization effort failed. But because of this, it allowed him (early on at least) to focus on what did work. Later on it seems he started to lose touch a bit, or tried to go too extreme (lost some balance and perspective). He let the Marvel U. run amok.

And man, did he seem to have it in for Spidey or what? :p

Eugene Selassie
01-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Anyone recall that harsh reality of looming bankruptcy? If Marvel crashed and burned, the entire Industry would have perished. Like it or not, Marvel is the keystone... pull it out, everything else comes crumbling down. Joe was the guy at the wheel, and masterfully navigated those choppy waters best he knew how.

This has probably been one of the most misrepresented things in the history of comics.

Marvel was out of bankruptcy near the end of the Harras regime, something conveniently forgotten. Joe Q didn't "save the company" as is always touted.

Another thing, the heroes return titles were selling near the same level as New Avengers was. In fact Busiek/Perez' Avengers run was selling over 100K for quite a while and didn't dip below that until a guest artist came on board.

Also a slew of new characters and b-listers got quite a bit of spotlight under Harras' watch (Thunderbolts, Alpha Flight v2, Ka-Zar, Heroes for Hire, Deadpool...)

The ONLY reason Harras was let go was because of neglecting to capitalize on the X-men movie with easy accessible X-men comics.

I love how people always want to throw Bob under the bus.

Kep!
01-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Comic sales are naturally in the toilet not because of publishers lack of trying, but because of A) the cost of comics and B) worries about the economy. Prior to the harsh economic times, Joe led Marvel to near Shooter era sales with Civil War, New Avengers, and irrc House Of M. That's something that had not happened in a long time. I believe Axel will come in and inject his own sense of pacing and forward thinking to the brand. And once we get out of this harsh economic times. Marvel will be back to the fore front of sales again.
This is not even 25% of the reason. Comics were born of the depression and while $4 for 22 pages is asinine, it's sympton not a cause. The REAL catalyst is video games and cell phones. Cable TV also plays a huge roll. All of these so-called necessities that have taken 101% of the American disposal cash allowance. Comics aren't just hurt they are fully supplanted.

Kep!
01-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Alonso is a great guy. I met him years ago when Marvel was open to solicitations for its Epic line. He suggested I submit, so I sent him a bunch of scripts from an original comic I was writing. He passed , but not before saying many good things about them, then asked me to submit a story using Iron Man or Captain America (or maybe it was both -- I can't remember). Idiotically, I passed because I know next to nothing about the characters and have no interest in them, and thus didn't feel I could do them justice. Whatever I sent him using those characters would be crap, I feared, would be crap and would turn him off from me forever.

I was a moron back then. I did stuff like that all the time -- got scared and folded. When I was a freshman in college, I solicited a comic start up and an independent prose publisher; both asked for my fulls to review. Never sent them in. Six or so years ago, my then-girlfriend called the Howard Stern show and pimped me to Ba Ba Booey as being the next great Superman writer (bless her hyperbole); Booey told her to send my script directly to Howard. I chickened out.

Sheer stupidity. Alonso, those publishers, Booey. Those guys wouldn't even remember me now.

See? I'm doing it again.

Just kidding. I'm working on breaking into prose now. If I ever try my hand at comics again, I'll give them a call.

_Richard
Ditto. Axel was instrumental to putting me on the right path back when I was a naive 33. I can think of few people I would rather see in the job!

Biofungus
01-16-2011, 02:37 AM
This is not even 25% of the reason. Comics were born of the depression and while $4 for 22 pages is asinine, it's sympton not a cause. The REAL catalyst is video games and cell phones. Cable TV also plays a huge roll. All of these so-called necessities that have taken 101% of the American disposal cash allowance. Comics aren't just hurt they are fully supplanted.
DC recently lowered their prices to $2.99 again. I'm hoping Marvel follows suit soon.

Paul Sanderson
01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
This has probably been one of the most misrepresented things in the history of comics.

Marvel was out of bankruptcy near the end of the Harras regime, something conveniently forgotten. Joe Q didn't "save the company" as is always touted.

Another thing, the heroes return titles were selling near the same level as New Avengers was. In fact Busiek/Perez' Avengers run was selling over 100K for quite a while and didn't dip below that until a guest artist came on board.

Also a slew of new characters and b-listers got quite a bit of spotlight under Harras' watch (Thunderbolts, Alpha Flight v2, Ka-Zar, Heroes for Hire, Deadpool...)

The ONLY reason Harras was let go was because of neglecting to capitalize on the X-men movie with easy accessible X-men comics.

I love how people always want to throw Bob under the bus.

Well said, Eugene.

Yes, I hope Marvel follows suit, too, Bio.

Raven
01-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Well said, Eugene.

Yes, I hope Marvel follows suit, too, Bio.

They aren't allowed.

Scribbly
01-23-2011, 02:50 PM
http://marvel.com/news/story/14932/marvel_entertainment_promotes_axel_alonso_to_edito r-in-chief

Axel's taking the EIC chair, Quesada is focusing on Marvel's presence in other media. I think I'm liking this news.
I am very happy for these news, he's very talented and he will bring good time as Marvel's EIC as he always does.
Congratulations.

Just to have a peak to where, applying for these silly ads asking for Editors at DC or Marvel may eventualy lead.

"Alonso worked as a journalist and magazine editor for years before he entered the comic book industry.
One day, he saw an ad in The New York Times for DC Comics editors and thought it would be fun to interview, never thinking he would actually be offered a job, though he ended up being hired by the publisher."

Paul Sanderson
01-23-2011, 05:27 PM
They aren't allowed.

I don't think that will matter if the price drop were to catch on and the fans were to demand it.