PDA

View Full Version : Question for artists

NaveenM
12-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Hey guys. Can anyone recommend a good book (or perhaps DVD) on landscape drawing? It doesn't need to be about comic-style drawing -- just drawing landscapes in general.

Thanks!

Phatman
12-13-2010, 03:07 PM
With landscape art, observation is the key, no matter the medium or style. The best book I can recommend is a sketchbook by you. There are some texts on drawing or painting what you see and there are tricks to atmospheric effects on perspective in relation to color work, but, again, nothing that you can't observe and reproduce on paper with practice.

Rene A.
12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
A book I refer to every now and then is by Jack Hamm "Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and seascapes." ISBN 0-399-50806-6. It's simple and easy to get into.

Justice41
12-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Everything has perspective and vanishing points and all must follow the rules.
Simplest way to think about landscapes is that you diminish the details as you draw things farther back in the picture. Thinner lines less detail. Up close thicker lines more detail. If you draw houses or buildings just remember that those structures still have to follow the rules of perspective no matter where the structure sits.

NaveenM
12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys. I went with Drawing Landscapes in Pencil (http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Landscapes-Pencil-Practical-Books/dp/0823026469). But I'll look into the Jack Hamm book, Rene.