PDA

View Full Version : Death of Spider-Man

Troy Wall
11-11-2010, 12:32 PM
From Marvel's Feb. 2011 Previews cover:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/thumbnail.php?file=/assets/images/articles/1289406988.jpg&w=300

We comic folk sure are a morbid lot, what with how characters are killed off and brought back to life only to be killed and resurrected once more.

It's been about five years since Spider-Man last "died" at the hands of a villain: Morlun beat the life out of him during the "Other" storyline, where upon Pete was reborn inside a cocoon of webbing. He emerged with a bevy of new powers including long, sharp "stingers" that would emerge from his forearms.

This was all wiped out in One More Day.

Troy Wall
11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
A new costume is donned in the new "Big Time" era which began with issue 648:

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/69476comic_storystory_full-4578841..jpg

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/14404storystory_full-7404437..jpg

Second pic looks like it would work really great as a Spider-Man 2099 suit.

Troy Wall
11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Roderick Kingsley, the original Hobgoblin created by Roger Stern and JR JR in 1982, finally makes his return. It's his first appearance since Stern revisited the character in 1997's "Hobgoblin Lives". The character was sent into retirement, literally, to a desert island where he was last seen sipping a mixed drink on the beach.

Ramos reworks the design:

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/69474comic_storystory_full-1556465..jpg

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/69478comic_storystory_full-4568404..jpg

Troy Wall
11-11-2010, 12:47 PM
New Venom again. Mac Gargan is going back to being Scorpion, I think.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1288359472.jpg

For all you fuckers who were outraged when the Sentry flew him into space and ripped him in two, he's back:

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/13870storystory_full-3880049..jpg

Probably not Kletus Cassidy.

Troy Wall
11-11-2010, 01:06 PM
In this issue, Peter realizes he's doomed to fight Venom / Carnage variants for all of eternity and grapples with the harsh vengeance of Norman Osborn's libido. "That asshole fucks--and impregnates--anything that moves", lamented Peter as thoughts of insecurity and inferiority swirled around his noggin.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/ShaggyB/ASM655.jpg

Osborn later went on the record as saying, "Spider-Man can't satisfy you with his little worm, but I can bust you up with this super sperm!"

In other news, editorial pulled back from the original reveal that Lilly Hollister's baby belongs to Norman Osborn. Gwen Stacey's twins, fathered by the unfathombly horny Osborn, breathed a huge sigh of relief.

"JMS had to say that the Goblin Serum in our blood magically aged us to our 20's in just five years so that we could fight Spider-Man physically", remarked the Stacey twins. "God knows what the writers would have done with the new baby in order to make it a threat."

To the Stacey twins' horror, the baby was revealed to instead belong to Harry Osborn, who also harbors the great and terrible Goblin Serum in his bloodstream. "Ah, fuck it, who cares?", quipped Gabrielle Stacy as he dropped his head in disgust. "If I'm a third-tier, D-list character who fans abhor, then this new Goblin love child isn't even fit to wipe my shoes!"

Mwynn
11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Why does Marvel hate Spiderman so much. They give way more love to Wolverine and Deadpool.

CHWolf
11-11-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm more looking forward to the spider of Death-Man.

But on as a sidenote, Super-Hero comics are basically "Soap Operas" for dudes.

Amnesia, mistaken identity, switched babies, death, resurrection, revelations of family relation... etc.

We're basically looking at General Hospital in leotards.

Edit: Hey whoa whoa whoa whoa... that Venom with the red eyes looks ripped from a design I saw on DeviantArt. The desc even said something like "I know Venom doesn't have eyes like this, but..." etc.

Allegory Comics
11-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Second pic looks like it would work really great as a Spider-Man 2099 suit.
I think they just did that costume as a variant cover for their Disney "Tron" promotion.

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.14404.marvel_unveils_tron_variant_cov ers

Troy Wall
11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Edit: Hey whoa whoa whoa whoa... that Venom with the red eyes looks ripped from a design I saw on DeviantArt. The desc even said something like "I know Venom doesn't have eyes like this, but..." etc.

Venom has looked like that for quite a few years now, though, red eyes and all. Since Mark Millar did his Marvel Knights Spider-Man run circa '05. Terry Dodson did the redesign.

Phatman
11-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I hate all of this. Here's an idea: write something new without rebooting the character. I know that would take some actual research and creativity, but if you want to create a new character that is "your" Spiderman, make up something and publish it. Quit screwing up the Spiderman.

Paul Sanderson
11-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I hate all of this. Here's an idea: write something new without rebooting the character. I know that would take some actual research and creativity, but if you want to create a new character that is "your" Spiderman, make up something and publish it. Quit screwing up the Spiderman.

Yes, but that would take a talent, creativity and ingenuity that Joe Q. (as the boss) does not possess.

Biofungus
11-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Spidey's new suit has neon mood lighting?

As for Carnage, I don't think anybody cared when Sentry ripped him in half. The only reason to bring him back is to see somebody fly him into space and rip him in fourths this time.

Mwynn
11-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, but that would take a talent, creativity and ingenuity that Joe Q. (as the boss) does not possess.
The poor decisions for this character have made a serious shit pile over the years. The art has been suspect as well as the stories. The choices that have been made for this character have been terrible. None of which were as bad as his making a deal with the devil. They may as well just bring back Uncle Ben now.

CHWolf
11-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Venom has looked like that for quite a few years now, though, red eyes and all. Since Mark Millar did his Marvel Knights Spider-Man run circa '05. Terry Dodson did the redesign.

Ahhhh, got it.

In that case I'd think the artist simply hadn't read Spider-Man in a very long time... like me! XD

Freaked me out for a second there, because I remember commenting on the image about how he *should* look like that. :carrot:

Deadfish07
11-11-2010, 10:22 PM
I actually liked the first issue of the Big Time era. Everyone (including the villains) are finally embracing the fact Spider-man is actually one of the genius level characters. Even Parker gets a new job in a think tank of a computer company, making a lot of money now.

The only thing I'm not buying is his new girlfriend. I get that Peter can't be with MJ, but this Carlie character is rather dull. I would have prefered if they hooked him up with the perky blond reporter or his angry roommate.

I have a hard time believing "Death of Spider-man" is much more than Spider-man has to disappear and be presumed dead for an arc.

Evan Henry
11-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Am I the only one getting sick of these constant gimmicks from Marvel? (And DC is starting to go this way)

Phatman
11-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Am I the only one getting sick of these constant gimmicks from Marvel? (And DC is starting to go this way)

No. Everybody is sick of them.

Troy Wall
11-11-2010, 11:48 PM
I would have prefered if they hooked him up with the perky blond reporter or his angry roommate.

Didn't Peter have sex with Michelle (roommate)?

zcotty
11-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Dear lord, man! Lets not lose all scraps of sanity!

:laugh:

CHWolf
11-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Who hasn't?

Lovecraft13
11-12-2010, 05:48 PM
It's a simple enough hook to grab me. Just in time for the new movie as well.

Biofungus
11-12-2010, 06:48 PM
It's a simple enough hook to grab me. Just in time for the new movie as well.
You sir, are a comic who-ure!

Buckyrig
11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
But on as a sidenote, Super-Hero comics are basically "Soap Operas" for dudes.

No, that's pro wrestling.

Anyway, by Death of Spider-Man, they mean to finally destroy the book or something? End the run, fold up the company. Go home and take a nap?

Lovecraft13
11-12-2010, 07:45 PM
You sir, are a comic who-ure!

No way, dude. I heard Peter Parker gets butt-AIDS and dies. That's hardcore.

CHWolf
11-12-2010, 09:01 PM
No, that's pro wrestling.

Nah, there's a megaton more death & resurrection, baby-swapping, amnesia, etc. in comic books.

They share much more with soap operas, in terms of clichés, than wrestling.

Not to say wrestling doesn't also share some - just to a much lesser degree. Granted, I only watched as a kid in the 80s, but I don't know if the WWF ever had a switched baby scandal.

...And has a wrestler ever "dicovered" that one of his arch enemies was actually his brother... or father... or cousin... or whatever...

Lovecraft13
11-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I heard Spider-Man will come back as a Black Lantern.

Troy Wall
11-12-2010, 10:53 PM
No way, dude. I heard Peter Parker gets butt-AIDS and dies. That's hardcore.

LOL

Biofungus
11-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Nah, there's a megaton more death & resurrection, baby-swapping, amnesia, etc. in comic books.

They share much more with soap operas, in terms of clichés, than wrestling.

Not to say wrestling doesn't also share some - just to a much lesser degree. Granted, I only watched as a kid in the 80s, but I don't know if the WWF ever had a switched baby scandal.

Google search: McMahon Hornswaggle
or; Mysterio baby Guerrero (I think that was it)

...And has a wrestler ever "dicovered" that one of his arch enemies was actually his brother... or father... or cousin... or whatever...

Just off the top of my head (as a non-watcher): Google search; Undertaker Kain

I challenge you to post these queries in the wrestling forum. I'll bet they can easily name a bunch more off the top of their heads.

Deadfish07
11-12-2010, 10:56 PM

That was the Chameleon disguised as Peter.

Troy Wall
11-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I heard Spider-Man will come back as a Black Lantern.

I heard he gets assassinated but then it's revealed that amidst all the chaos and gunfire, a brain washed girlfriend had actually used a time displacement ray gun to send Peter's essence back into time.

Wait, that was Captain America's recent death and resurrection...

Troy Wall
11-12-2010, 11:10 PM
That was the Chameleon disguised as Peter.

That's right. Damn, score one for the Chameleon. Now that's some real super villain shit right thur!

Moonrider
11-13-2010, 10:33 AM
That's right. Damn, score one for the Chameleon. Now that's some real super villain shit right thur!

I wonder, can The Chameleon impregnate... I mean, impersonate other characters' private parts?

Biofungus
11-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I wonder, can The Chameleon impregnate... I mean, impersonate other characters' private parts?
Why on earth would he want to impersonate anybody but say, John Holmes down there?

RandallFlagg
11-14-2010, 05:52 AM
Why on earth would he want to impersonate anybody but say, John Holmes down there?
Step 1: Impersonate someone REALLY small

Step 2: Cause tons of embarrassment for that person when you find a way to reveal your junk on tv.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!

Biofungus
11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Step 1: Impersonate someone REALLY small

Step 2: Cause tons of embarrassment for that person when you find a way to reveal your junk on tv.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!
But said person would still be a hit in Japan...

omega sentry
11-14-2010, 10:01 PM
I think they just did that costume as a variant cover for their Disney "Tron" promotion.

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.14404.marvel_unveils_tron_variant_cov ers

eeewwwwwwww.... I don't like it :man:

I'm still waiting for the resurrection of chewbacca

Troy Wall
11-16-2010, 11:30 AM
It ain't regular ol' Spidey, it's ULTIMATE Spidey!

Official Press Release

"Marvel is proud to announce Death of Spider-Man, the groundbreaking new story that forever changes the Ultimate Comics universe from superstar writers Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Millar. Kicking off with a prelude in Ultimate Spider-Man #153 and going into high-gear with Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates #1, this is the story that no comic fan can afford to miss when it all begins in February 2011 because, in the Ultimate Universe, There Are No Rules. This storyline continues in further issues of both Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates.

“As a group and as individuals we have made a conscious effort to create stories this year that no one has ever seen before,” said Bendis. “I am very, very proud to be a part of this storyline and very proud of Marvel for even attempting such a bold endeavor. Sit back and watch as we unveil a storyline unlike any other!!”

The most successful new imprint of the century, Ultimate Comics has continually pushed the limits of super hero comics and raised the bar for comic book storytelling, with Ultimate Spider-Man Vol.1 selling well over one million copies.

Millar added, “This is the biggest, boldest thing we've attempted in the ten years since we kicked this line off. This is the one thing that could be bigger than the CREATION of the Ultimate line and it's great to be a part of it. Being part of something like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and soon you’ll all get to read the story we’ve written for you, This should be up there with the very small number of events that really mattered. This is going to be big.”

This February, Death of Spider-Man marks the most ambitious Ultimate Comics story yet…and one that no fan will ever forget!"

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #153 & #154
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Pencils by SARA PICHELLI & DAVID LAFUENTE
Cover by SARA PICHELLI
Rated T+ …$3.99 each
ON-SALE IN FEBRUARY

ULTIMATE AVENGERS VS. NEW ULTIMATES #1 (of 6)
Written by MARK MILLAR
Pencils & Cover by LEINIL YU
Variant Covers by BRYAN HITCH & FRANK CHO
Rated T+ …$3.99
ON-SALE IN FEBRUARY

CHWolf
11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
No fan will ever forget the Clone Saga, too. :blink:

Phatman
11-16-2010, 01:20 PM
It ain't regular ol' Spidey, it's ULTIMATE Spidey!

The fact that you need to make a distinction proves Spiderman, as created, is dead anyway.

Knuckles
11-16-2010, 02:22 PM
The ultimate line has been crap since Ultimatium.

Biofungus
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
The most successful new imprint of the century

Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that it contained characters who were already popular for 40+ years, just in a more consolidated "what if" universe... :rolleyes:

galmando
11-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that it contained characters who were already popular for 40+ years, just in a more consolidated "what if" universe... :rolleyes:

didn't it have everything to do with that?

i mean, it had to be popular with someone to sell as well it did, right?