PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Mark Bertolini
11-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I've found my monthly reading list has been pared down a little recently. I read a lot of tpbs, but there are a few books I read monthly.

Scalped
Daredevil (although I'm not crazy about the Black Panther spin)
Invincible Iron Man
Irredeemable
Incorruptible

That's about it right now.

You?

Paul Sanderson
11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I tend to read the trades that the library (where I work) buys. All sorts of different things. I don't buy much these days anymore. I don't think comics are good enough, for the most part, to earn my hard earned cash.

ronin7
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Irreedemable, Avengers, and whatever I haven't yet read in trade.

Phatman
11-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I tend to read the trades that the library (where I work) buys. All sorts of different things. I don't buy much these days anymore. I don't think comics are good enough, for the most part, to earn my hard earned cash.

How do you know if you never see them? I get the expense part of the equation, but there's more quality work out there than you think.

Mark Bertolini
11-09-2010, 12:23 PM
How do you know if you never see them? I get the expense part of the equation, but there's more quality work out there than you think.

I agree with this, and I've been saying it for a while, in the last 5-10 years, there's been such a leap in quality in comics. Comics just seem smarter to me now, overall. Maybe it's just me, but when I look at the stuff I was reading 15 years ago, and compare it to what I'm reading now, there's such a difference in the level of quality and intelligence.

Phatman
11-09-2010, 01:00 PM
When I look at the artwork and quality of the product from even 10 years ago, I don't know how you can just say "everything today sucks". It's an ignorant statement; not just an opinion. Maybe the changes aren't what you are used to or meet your personal expectations of what good comics should be. If so, maybe the medium has evolved past your limited tastes to a different level. In other words, maybe comics grew up or matured and you haven't.

Anybody with this opinion should pull out some comics from the '70's, '80's or '90's and take a good, hard look at what is there.

Is the quality of writing better, the same or not as good across the board?

Is the quality of the artwork better, the same or not as good across the board?

Is the finished product better, the same or not as good across the board?

If you can make a case on any of these three questions, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, quit complaining about how things aren't as great as the good 'ol days of whatever era you grew up with. You sound like a myopic fanboy.

Mark Bertolini
11-09-2010, 03:15 PM
When I look at the artwork and quality of the product from even 10 years ago, I don't know how you can just say "everything today sucks". It's an ignorant statement; not just an opinion. Maybe the changes aren't what you are used to or meet your personal expectations of what good comics should be. If so, maybe the medium has evolved past your limited tastes to a different level. In other words, maybe comics grew up or matured and you haven't.

Anybody with this opinion should pull out some comics from the '70's, '80's or '90's and take a good, hard look at what is there.

Is the quality of writing better, the same or not as good across the board?

Is the quality of the artwork better, the same or not as good across the board?

Is the finished product better, the same or not as good across the board?

If you can make a case on any of these three questions, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, quit complaining about how things aren't as great as the good 'ol days of whatever era you grew up with. You sound like a myopic fanboy.

Quoted for truth.

smitten
01-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Books I currently follow religiously and eagerly anticipate every new issue/installment are Fables, Invincible (http://1foe.com/invincible) and Bakuman (http://1foe.com/bakuman/). Used to be hooked on The Walking Dead, until I realized that series works much better in paperback format.