PDA

View Full Version : Superman: Earth One.

KidIntense
10-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes, there is an earth One, and that is a retelling of Superman's tale of how he got to Metropolis at 21 years old, and how he became SUperman, and it is for the Twilight fans, and it is a very popular graphic novel, and This will be good. :har:

The Dag
10-29-2010, 02:01 AM
lol

CHWolf
10-29-2010, 03:00 AM
I agreed with all but five words of that. :banana:

Allegory Comics
10-29-2010, 11:04 AM
I haven't read it yet. I hope I can it soon ... but $20?! I dunno.

I wish they hadn't thrown own allusions to TWILIGHT. I think nobody would have made that connection if they hadn't mentioned it themselves. Instead, I think it's going to stain this book with bad press and be ignored completely by people (like me) who hate the Twilight franchise.

The only reason I'm buying it is because I'm a huge Superman fan, and I am trying to look past these lame Twilight connotations. But if the story totally reeks of it, I will be very disappointed.

Biofungus
10-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this like an elseworlds kind of story? I thought the main earth was "Earth Prime", not "Earth One".

Paul Sanderson
10-29-2010, 07:43 PM
I think you're right. Either way, it's Elseworlds.

Knuckles
10-29-2010, 07:47 PM
It is an Elseworlds, but it is to draw in a younger crowd.

Even with the Twlight reference, I still want to read it.

Paul Sanderson
10-29-2010, 07:49 PM
That and JMS writing makes me want to avoid it.

KidIntense
11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Maybe I should get this graphic novel, and I hope it will be alot of fun.

Biofungus
11-08-2010, 11:43 PM
You know, I'm thinking maybe DC ripped off Kid Intense this time. I mean, KI is basically a teen superman...

Paul Sanderson
11-09-2010, 01:48 AM
KI should sue the bastards :laugh:

KidIntense
11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Are you guys saying Superman Earth One is a ripoff to Kid Intense?

Allegory Comics
11-09-2010, 10:14 PM
I don't wanna get anyone in any trouble, Vincent ... but I was at a con a few months ago and saw JMS looking at Kid Intense on the T.R.I.B.E. web site. A few weeks later he announced SUPERMAN EARTH ONE.

I'm just sayin'.

Maybe you just inspire greatness.

KidIntense
11-10-2010, 12:19 AM
So it is based on my character Kid Intense then. I got you, man.

JasonM
11-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Pretty obvious it's a rip off. I wouldn't stand for it.

Doctor Shock
11-10-2010, 02:33 PM
So it is based on my character Kid Intense then. I got you, man.
Somebody SAAAVVVEEE MEEEE!

KidIntense
11-10-2010, 06:02 PM
I guess Superman Earth One is a ripoff of Kid Intense. By the way, why was JMS rading my comic book and decided to make a Superman origin out of it?

Biofungus
11-10-2010, 08:02 PM

You bastard :laugh:

KidIntense
11-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Just read the novel, and I think it is out of sight!!!!

The Dag
11-12-2010, 03:12 AM
Just read the novel, and I think it is out of sight!!!!

lol

Mark Bertolini
11-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I liked the part where Earth One Superman used a giant vacuum to fight a wind monster.

onizuka43
11-13-2010, 12:13 AM
When I see Superman that thing I don't think is "hey this guy needs another origin."

Action Comics 1
Man of Steel
Birthright
Secret Origins
Earth One

This is only a couple of the ones I came up with off the top of my head.

Though I read it and it was all right, nothing that spectacular. Really had a hard time getting behind Clark as a character, the villain was weak, Shane Davis' artwork is always been kind of hit or miss with me and this wasn't much different. Totally isn't for everyone.

Allegory Comics
11-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Well, all of these "different" origins you listed are pretty much the SAME origin -- baby from Krypton, sent to earth, raised by the Kents, went to Metropolis, became Superman. Only the little details have changed to appeal to new generations.

After all, MAN OF STEEL was released 50 years after the previous origin in Action Comics ... and BIRTHRIGHT was about 20 years after that (and never fully cannonized). SECRET ORIGINS is just recently released to align with new DCU continuity post Infinite Crisis, and EARTH ONE is like al Elseworld alternative universe not connected to current continuity.

If you want to complain about EARTH ONE being an origin, you'd have to also complain about all of the thousands of Elseworld books (Speeding Bullets, Red Son, The Nail, etc.) that tell a new origin too. But people never include those in their complaint because they recognize them as alternate universe origins ... and so is EARTH ONE. No different.

So it isn't really as bad as you make it sound.

Like people who complain that every Superman movie has to re-tell his origin -- but in 30 years we've had 5 movies and only ONE told the origin story.

onizuka43
11-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Well, all of these "different" origins you listed are pretty much the SAME origin -- baby from Krypton, sent to earth, raised by the Kents, went to Metropolis, became Superman. Only the little details have changed to appeal to new generations.

After all, MAN OF STEEL was released 50 years after the previous origin in Action Comics ... and BIRTHRIGHT was about 20 years after that (and never fully cannonized). SECRET ORIGINS is just recently released to align with new DCU continuity post Infinite Crisis, and EARTH ONE is like al Elseworld alternative universe not connected to current continuity.

If you want to complain about EARTH ONE being an origin, you'd have to also complain about all of the thousands of Elseworld books (Speeding Bullets, Red Son, The Nail, etc.) that tell a new origin too. But people never include those in their complaint because they recognize them as alternate universe origins ... and so is EARTH ONE. No different.

So it isn't really as bad as you make it sound.

Like people who complain that every Superman movie has to re-tell his origin -- but in 30 years we've had 5 movies and only ONE told the origin story.
Those were just the ones off the top of my head, but if you look back the basic Clark Kent lands on Earth and then goes to Metropolis for the first time story is probably retold about once every five years or so. I mean just sitting here I forgot Superman for all Seasons on the list.

The reason I didn't bring up the Elseworld tales is because in the end they are drastically different than the original source material usually. The Nail is more a JLA story anyway, and they give us something new.

In the end I'm a fan of the blue boyscout, have been since he died, and would rather see new stuff done with the property than going back to the well to talk about the early days, but that's just me.

KidIntense
11-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I think this Superman origin should make it as a movie.

Moonrider
11-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Those were just the ones off the top of my head, but if you look back the basic Clark Kent lands on Earth and then goes to Metropolis for the first time story is probably retold about once every five years or so. I mean just sitting here I forgot Superman for all Seasons on the list.

The reason I didn't bring up the Elseworld tales is because in the end they are drastically different than the original source material usually. The Nail is more a JLA story anyway, and they give us something new.

In the end I'm a fan of the blue boyscout, have been since he died, and would rather see new stuff done with the property than going back to the well to talk about the early days, but that's just me.

The thing is, Superman is basically more like a cartoon character than an actual character. He doesn't age, he never have to worry about jobs, careers, financial problems, marriage problems, etc. He must fill this role as the most perfect person in the universe because that's his appeal. He can't be a Spider-man type of character, because you don't really want to read Superman whine in thought bubbles every issue. Outside of his already established mythos, it's kind of hard to make new stuff happening for him. He really doesn't have much personality to draw any plot points from. Some of you would probably disagree, but that's just how I see it. Here's a guy that's been around for ages, and the only thing noticeable in his whole history is his origin.

KidIntense
11-14-2010, 12:05 AM
You said it, Moonrider. Superman is so the best!!!!!

Moonrider
11-14-2010, 09:56 PM
You said it, Moonrider. Superman is so the best!!!!!

That's... not exactly what I was trying to say... I think the character can be a lot better and more interesting if Clark Kent has more relatable problems as the average working man.

KidIntense
11-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood you, man. But Superman has too many rigins. Why can't he just stick to the original origin?

ronin7
11-15-2010, 10:17 AM
The only one who got Superman right was John Byrne.

Paul Sanderson
11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
The only one who got Superman right was John Byrne.

Agreed. I am firmer in this opinion as the years go by and more and more Superman crap is foisted upon us.

KidIntense
11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I think we need to get the John Byrne Superman origin back for sure.

RandallFlagg
11-16-2010, 02:03 AM
All right, I haven't read a Superman solo comic in quite a while, and I haven't got this yet either. I've been reading Superman/Batman and that's about it. So I'm hoping someone can tell me if they got the "OMFG, it's SUPERMAN!!!!!!" moments in there.

I ask because it seems no one has done that right in a long time. I don't care how many times you've seen an alien battle, a guy rescuing a space shuttle, or a knock-down drag-out super fight, you'll still be in awe of Superman. It just seems like comics have made it seem like people aren't that impressed by super heroes in person. He's freaking Superman! He saves you when your car loses control and you almost go off a cliff, you're not just going to say, "Thanks Superman! I'd have been a goner for sure!" You're far more likely to say, "Holy sh*t, you just caught my car! Oh my God! You're Superman! You're freaking Superman! Oh my God! etc."

Just wondering, especially as this is supposed to be him just starting out, so there's no way that superheroes are commonplace yet.

KidIntense
11-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Still, SUperman is the coolest superhero in the world, and don't you forget this.

KidIntense
11-17-2010, 05:50 PM
I can't wait for the second part of Superman: Earth One. I think it will be a blast!!!!

Paul Sanderson
11-17-2010, 06:01 PM
All right, I haven't read a Superman solo comic in quite a while, and I haven't got this yet either. I've been reading Superman/Batman and that's about it. So I'm hoping someone can tell me if they got the "OMFG, it's SUPERMAN!!!!!!" moments in there.

I ask because it seems no one has done that right in a long time. I don't care how many times you've seen an alien battle, a guy rescuing a space shuttle, or a knock-down drag-out super fight, you'll still be in awe of Superman. It just seems like comics have made it seem like people aren't that impressed by super heroes in person. He's freaking Superman! He saves you when your car loses control and you almost go off a cliff, you're not just going to say, "Thanks Superman! I'd have been a goner for sure!" You're far more likely to say, "Holy sh*t, you just caught my car! Oh my God! You're Superman! You're freaking Superman! Oh my God! etc."

Just wondering, especially as this is supposed to be him just starting out, so there's no way that superheroes are commonplace yet.

I haven't had this feeling since John Byrne, to be honest. I have no idea if this new story has any such moments, though.

KidIntense
11-17-2010, 07:09 PM
I can't blame you, Paul.