PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that doesn't like Batman?

Callen493
09-28-2010, 07:09 PM
I was reading some old JLA comics recently and in every issue Batman was an infallible, jerky, "bad-ass," that everyone was afraid of. He never did any wrong. It was really annoying. And I have seen he is portrayed that way in a lot of comics. All of this makes me hate the way Batman is portrayed in the comics.

It is not the character I hate though. I liked him enough to watch six batman movies, a few tv shows, and to at least show interest in the comics. However what we see in other media and what we get in comics is a different character.

True I haven't read many Batman comics but from what I have read he is annoying. He is never wrong, he can beat anyone, he scares everyone. He is just too perfect. Even his flaws aren't flaws anymore. His paranoia, his loner attitude, and his obsession are all just parts of his legend now that make him even more hardcore.

Am I the only one annoyed by that? Or is anyone else sick of Super-Batman?

Flairbrusher
09-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes. You're the only one.

CHWolf
09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
I've never hated Batman, just never cared about him as a character. Probably as you say because... you know he's always going to win. Even if he gets his back broken or is killed, he'll be back soon enough and everyone will forget that he can be defeated essentially by kicking him in the back. (Would be a weak point, don't care what anyone says.)

That said, I always found his rogue's gallery interesting - like anyone else, I'd imagine.

You can pretty much take even the lamest Batman villain and turn him/her around into a vicious threat with a little bit of elbow grease.

DarkKni9hT
09-28-2010, 08:47 PM
QFT.

Batman is one of the originals who got the entire genre started. If you don't "like" him, you'd better fukkin' well appreciate him.

Allegory Comics
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Even his flaws aren't flaws anymore. His paranoia, his loner attitude, and his obsession are all just parts of his legend now that make him even more hardcore.
That's called depth and character and it makes it easier for reader to identify and empathize with a character.

Unless you'd prefer two-dimensional characters who are more about flashy action and visuals and less about story driven plots. Maybe that's just the kind of reader you are. Me? I like a little depth.

That's the problem with today's storytelling media, like comics, movies, tv and video games. People don't care about character or plot development anymore. As long as it looks good and has lots of exciting and over-the-top imagery (guns, sex, explosions, fast cars, blood). Who cares if it has a story or good characters.

As a writer, I am insulted by this trend, as it suggests writers are not important to the process. And sadly, sales receipts only reinforce and perpetuate this dumbing down of stories.

Then we get crap like Machete and The Expendables.

Biofungus
09-28-2010, 09:36 PM
But that's part of the problem with Batman writing. It's become a crutch. There's no creativity in how Batman "solves the problem". The writers come up with complicated, creative motivations for the *villains* then Batman simply solves it (often sans explanation), just because we expect him to.

Paul Sanderson
09-28-2010, 09:44 PM

That's called depth and character and it makes it easier for reader to identify and empathize with a character.

Unless you'd prefer two-dimensional characters who are more about flashy action and visuals and less about story driven plots. Maybe that's just the kind of reader you are. Me? I like a little depth.

That's the problem with today's storytelling media, like comics, movies, tv and video games. People don't care about character or plot development anymore. As long as it looks good and has lots of exciting and over-the-top imagery (guns, sex, explosions, fast cars, blood). Who cares if it has a story or good characters.

As a writer, I am insulted by this trend, as it suggests writers are not important to the process. And sadly, sales receipts only reinforce and perpetuate this dumbing down of stories.

Couldn't agree more.

Raven
09-30-2010, 10:56 PM

I like the fact your two examples are the only two movies this summer that didn't pander to pussies.

CHWolf
09-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Since when is "obsessive super-hero only cares about defeating criminals and discards all other facets of his personality" considered depth?

Allegory Comics
09-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I like the fact your two examples are the only two movies this summer that didn't require a brain.
Fixed that for you.

Bishop
09-30-2010, 11:45 PM

The most infuriating thing about this to me, at least as far as Expendables is concerned, is that Stallone CAN write. He just chooses not to. He has written some really good scripts in his career, but lately he just wants to throw a bunch of blood and guts on the screen and slap some tough-guy dialog on top of it.

Buckyrig
09-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Wow. It's like all those threads complaining about Superman. :laugh:

It's real simple. If you don't like Batman, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. :nyah:

Or you know, read something else.

psst...you should really start a thread about how you hate Lobo.

Also, sodomy.

CHWolf
10-01-2010, 12:25 AM
What about posts complaining about posts complaining about something? :D

(And yes, I'm complaining about someone complaining about someone complaining about something.)

Paul Sanderson
10-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Fixed that for you.

The most infuriating thing about this to me, at least as far as Expendables is concerned, is that Stallone CAN write. He just chooses not to. He has written some really good scripts in his career, but lately he just wants to throw a bunch of blood and guts on the screen and slap some tough-guy dialog on top of it.

Couldn't agree more.

Allegory Comics
10-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Just to be clear about this -- I'm not against sex and violence and action films, or flashy cheesecake comics. I quite like them. I just don't know why so many of them feel story isn't important to the process. Why can't it have all of those cool visuals AND a decent story?

These are storytelling mediums, and when you take story out of them, what's left?

ronin7
10-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I was reading some old JLA comics recently and in every issue Batman was an infallible, jerky, "bad-ass," that everyone was afraid of. He never did any wrong. It was really annoying. And I have seen he is portrayed that way in a lot of comics. All of this makes me hate the way Batman is portrayed in the comics.

It is not the character I hate though. I liked him enough to watch six batman movies, a few tv shows, and to at least show interest in the comics. However what we see in other media and what we get in comics is a different character.

True I haven't read many Batman comics but from what I have read he is annoying. He is never wrong, he can beat anyone, he scares everyone. He is just too perfect. Even his flaws aren't flaws anymore. His paranoia, his loner attitude, and his obsession are all just parts of his legend now that make him even more hardcore.

Am I the only one annoyed by that? Or is anyone else sick of Super-Batman?

Obviously, you never read the early Batman BEFORE Morrison invented BATGOD. He constantly fucked up under the pen of Denny O'Neil, Frank Miller in Year One, Mike Barr's Year Two, and also Marv Wolfman's pen. Not every writer writes the BATGOD. I suggest you hunt down Batman: Venom, Batman: Shaman, Batman: Blind Justice, Batman: Year One, and Batman Year Two. All of which show a more human, fallable Batman.

Paul Sanderson
10-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I love the writing of O'Neil and Barr on Batman from days gone by. Shame they're no longer used with the character :(

ronin7
10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I love the writing of O'Neil and Barr on Batman from days gone by. Shame they're no longer used with the character :(

O'Neil is definitely the cream of the crop of Batwriters. There hasn't been a writer like him in a while.