PDA

View Full Version : has anyone bought any of the " Absolute" Stuff?

horror101
09-08-2010, 02:40 AM
I was wondering what anyone thinks of the Absolute DC novels? I was thinking of getting a Absolute Batman: Long Halloween but not really sure if there worth the money? I mean some one could buy a few graphic novels for the same price as one of those? Any thoughts?

ronin7
09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
I almost bought the Absolute Dark Knight Returns because it supposedly had another story, or some kind of extra back matter. But, it was too much. Besides, I have the regular edition trade and it's just as good.

I wouldn't recommend buying them unless you are willing to throw away hard money for a book that will be the same page count with only a few extras.

Mark Bertolini
09-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I have the two Absolute Authority books. They're friggin' gorgeous, but they're heavy bastards. But they look great on a bookshelf.

horror101
09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
I almost bought the Absolute Dark Knight Returns because it supposedly had another story, or some kind of extra back matter. But, it was too much. Besides, I have the regular edition trade and it's just as good.

I wouldn't recommend buying them unless you are willing to throw away hard money for a book that will be the same page count with only a few extras.

most of the ones i've seen had about 40 or so extra pages of content? But I'm still unsure?

horror101
09-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I have the two Absolute Authority books. They're friggin' gorgeous, but they're heavy bastards. But they look great on a bookshelf.

So on the ones you have is the extra content worth it? That's my main concern.

Mark Bertolini
09-08-2010, 11:19 AM
So on the ones you have is the extra content worth it? That's my main concern.

I think so. It really depends how much you like the stories, I guess. I like the fact that the books are oversized, it makes looking at Bryan Hitch and Frank Quitely's work that much better. Plus, the Absolute editions have removed the #$%^ swearing and put the actual words in, which I thought was kinda cool, but I'm easily amused.

Now, I do have to say I got both of these as gifts, and I already owned the individual trade paperbacks. But I would say they are worth it, provided you want to spend the extra cash.

horror101
09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I think so. It really depends how much you like the stories, I guess. I like the fact that the books are oversized, it makes looking at Bryan Hitch and Frank Quitely's work that much better. Plus, the Absolute editions have removed the #$%^ swearing and put the actual words in, which I thought was kinda cool, but I'm easily amused.

Now, I do have to say I got both of these as gifts, and I already owned the individual trade paperbacks. But I would say they are worth it, provided you want to spend the extra cash.

which ones do you have? I was thinking of gettin Hush or The long halloween? Also I've heard a few people say the paper quality isn't very good? is that true? Sorry for so many questions but I always try to get all the facts. LOL!

Mark Bertolini
09-08-2010, 12:29 PM
which ones do you have? I was thinking of gettin Hush or The long halloween? Also I've heard a few people say the paper quality isn't very good? is that true? Sorry for so many questions but I always try to get all the facts. LOL!

The only ones I own are the 2 Absolute Authority books, the first one is the 12-issue Warren Ellis run, and the second is the 12-issue Mark Millar run.

The paper is glossy, it's not very durable, that is true.

horror101
09-08-2010, 12:33 PM
The only ones I own are the 2 Absolute Authority books, the first one is the 12-issue Warren Ellis run, and the second is the 12-issue Mark Millar run.

The paper is glossy, it's not very durable, that is true.

ok that might make a difference to me. I read my TPBs often for inspiration not that i'm hard on them or anything but could make the difference? What I need is some one to give me one as a gift? LOL! ;)