PDA

View Full Version : Belt Me?

CHWolf
08-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I was sitting around the other day, eating cheetoes and watching cartoons in my underwear (insert "cartoons in my underwear" joke) when I realized that almost every single hero or villain could benefit from a Utility Belt.

So what of it? Is this simply a design choice, or is there something I don't know about why Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, et al seem to see no reason to carry items other than weapons with them at all times?

All the times Supes has been surprised with a chunk of Kryptonite over the years, maybe he should start carrying a rolled up lead vest on his person.

Hell, a backpack of spraypaint cans would've done wonders against Green Lantern's yellow weakness back in the day...

Aaron Wilder
08-30-2010, 11:17 PM
You'd have to ask this question - what would they need to carry with them in the first place? It's not like Spidey needs a wallet or car keys. Superman doesn't really need to carry $10 in his sock. So what use would a utility belt really have for most heroes?

CHWolf
08-30-2010, 11:23 PM
For Spidey - maybe a bunch of extra web carts (I think they did this with Scarlet Spider, but that doesn't count for obvious reasons) or perhaps a pocket blowtorch for when Venom comes around... Any number of things.

As for Supes, he does indeed need very little help. What about a belt full of first aid materials? It does him no harm to carry extra weight, and I'm sure faux comic book science can invent one that doesn't drag when he zips around. Why not carry a few things to help out an injured civilian when the battle's done? Just a thought.

MBirkhofer
08-31-2010, 12:33 AM
it looks bad.

Seriously.
No pockets on super hero uniforms at all.
Every single one needs a backpack. In reality it would be completely stupid to "fight crime" without flares, knives, first aid, shark repellent, handcuffs/ties, etc.
But 90's pouches just looks awful pretty much all the time.
You can only get away with it, with a military/commando type character.

Black Canary, the bad guy set a bomb in the bank! Oh, well. too bad I dont have any pliers to disarm it in my fishnets.

ronin7
08-31-2010, 07:15 AM
CHwolf, you are thinking too much about it, man. It's comics. We deal with the fantastical elements with only superfical realism.

CHWolf
08-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Just a thought to mull over. :)

Basically stemming from the fact that the "Utility Belt" almost always makes people think of Batman... but pretty much any other type of clothing/accessory would probably bring multiple characters to mind.

Plus, you never know. Might make an interesting story. "Earl Schmelter, Hero Belter".

XD Kidding, kidding.

Biofungus
08-31-2010, 07:56 PM
You'd have to ask this question - what would they need to carry with them in the first place?

Condoms and money for hookers and booze. And a GPS for when they wake up and don't know where the hell they are.

CHWolf
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
...A couple doses of RU-486...

MBirkhofer
09-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Flyers totally need harnesses also.

Being carried by your armpits is painful.

Being carried like a little girl is kindof gay.
http://www.mbirkhofer.com/screenshots/Invicible-Flight.thumbnail.jpg
http://www.mbirkhofer.com/screenshots/Invincible-Flight-2.thumbnail.jpg

Leaving riding on top like a sled or surfboard the only option.

http://www.mbirkhofer.com/screenshots/jonn0099ju4ru.jpg

Aaron Wilder
09-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Condoms and money for hookers and booze. And a GPS for when they wake up and don't know where the hell they are.

Everyone knows they don't use condoms and kill the hookers afterward. Besides, it's the hooker's booze they're drinking in the first place.

I would like to see more heroes with cell phones. EVERYBODY has those.

Buckyrig
09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
A utility belt would hinder Spider-Man's movement. Not severely, but with all the acrobatics, it would matter.