PDA

View Full Version : Earth X Old skool debate.

Aidy
08-27-2010, 04:37 AM
Most of my friends are fools. Most read comics that i give them but dont really have a grasp of the actual history of the characters or can distinguish between saturday morning cartoons and the actual comics themselves...some have read comics online and some have even bought trades....this has lead to a problem...
One started to buy the single issues of the Earth X, Universe X and Paradise X comics by Jim Kreuger, Alex Ross and John Paul Leon....as this isnt strichtly canon I havent read most of it I read the first book and thought it was a vanity project that I didnt think was anywhere near as good as say Marvels or Kingdom Come. But he's lent them out and for years now we've been locked in an debate where they meantion a characther and a thing that happened to him, and I say no that must have only happened in Earth X. One has even gone so far as to say that captain America doesnt work as he is but only as the Earth X version...If only Kirby and Simon had know this at the time!!!! If only Karl had been able to tell them they are wasting their time
I wonder...I think Earth x is a let down the interior art isnt by Ross himself ( so why bother in the first place) and the characthers are in many ways a very poor version of the marvel universe's version....
so any thoughts on the Earth X series did you like it? did you think it blows? Are you totally uninterested....?

HaphazardJoy
08-27-2010, 04:48 AM
I've always eyed em with curiousity, but never read I'm afraid to say. I generally love alternate reality and what if sort of stories, but I've just never got to these.

Mark Bertolini
08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I liked Earth X, but mostly for Leon's art. I'm a sucker for that guy's work.

RonaldMontgomery
08-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I loved Earth X. Universe X a little less so. Paradise X not very much except for the ending.

I think the biggest problem with the narrative was the three pages of history dump and set-up each issue had. Dear Lord, that stopped you dead in your tracks. It was cool that it was set up as a conversation between two characters (Uuatu and Aaron Stack in Earth X), but story was sacrificed to create an exhaustive -- and impressive -- explanation of how this entire Marvel universe fit together.
I loved the series though. The new Red Skull was genius -- the evil of apathy as opposed to demagoguery. Cap and Peter Parker were great. Reed's story and his sacrifice to bring back Sue was moving. There were a lot of neat ideas and twists on characters. Oh, and slaying death with the Ultimate Nullifier...wow.

MattJackson
08-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I gotta say, I'm also a big Earth X fan.

It might have been when it came out, but I dug the bleak, apocalyptic nature of it (What? I was a teenager). As I got older, I really loved how they tied all the disparate threads of the Marvel U together to make a compelling argument about why things are the way they are. In fact, in my head, the Marvel Earth will always be a Celestial Womb.

That said, Universe X made my brain hurt. I read it once, a few years ago and I was almost lost in the references being thrown around. And I'm no slouch when it comes to Marvel trivia! Since then I've been reading all the random back issues I can to give myself a better base for that story. I'll let you know what happens when I check it out again.

As for Paradise X... needless to say, I didn't even want to attempt after the debacle that was Universe X. Maybe in a few years, after I read the entirety of the Marvel's back catalog.

I'm surprised your friend liked it at all. That's not casual fan stuff.

Moonrider
08-27-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm surprised he has any friends at all.

:p

Aidy
08-31-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm surprised he has any friends at all.

:p

Trust me I've treid to shake 'em off a few times....
i dont for one second think they understand all the references. I may have to actually buy them just to put this whole Earth X thing to bed.

HaphazardJoy
08-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Trust me I've treid to shake 'em off a few times....
i dont for one second think they understand all the references. I may have to actually buy them just to put this whole Earth X thing to bed.

If you do, you can, you know, always ship them over to me when you're done bro.

Aidy
09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
If you do, you can, you know, always ship them over to me when you're done bro.

I may just do that... I havent actually got the room to buy any more stuff...my flat is ready to burst.

HaphazardJoy
09-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I may just do that... I havent actually got the room to buy any more stuff...my flat is ready to burst.

Hahahah, I hear that. I need some cash or a handy friend so I can get floor to ceiling bookshelves, I have several shelves, but they're all packed two-rows deep.

Aidy
09-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Hahahah, I hear that. I need some cash or a handy friend so I can get floor to ceiling bookshelves, I have several shelves, but they're all packed two-rows deep.

I've actually started building my own shelves which saves a bomb in the long run....you can save almost two thirds on the cost of shelving if you build your own cabinets. Plus your other half will think your talented.

Mark Bertolini
09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
You know, after reading this thread, I went back and re-read Earth X...and what a piece of crap. It's no better than I remember. The storyline changes focus so often, I had no idea what was happening at the end.

I love the Leon artwork, but the story was just balls.