PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back Into Collecting...

WriterX
07-30-2010, 10:22 AM
So after a couple year hiatus, I am finally able to start collecting comics again. I'm sticking to DC (unless there is something so amazing by someone else, that I just must have it). I was looking for some suggestions on which titles I should add to my monthly pick up. Right now I am thinking Flash, Green Lantern (or Green Lantern Corp not sure yet), and possibly Green Arrow or Superman.

The one Marvel title I was thinking about grabbing was Thor, but I'm not sure.

I figured this would be a good spot to ask. Where would be a good spot to jump in to kind of catch up on whats been happening, or where would it be easiest to jump in? I missed the whole Blackest Night thing, so I'll have to either grab or read the back issues.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Also, what would be a good title to grab for my 7 year old? He seems like he is starting to get more and more into my comics, but I'd like something that can be his alone.

MBirkhofer
07-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Collecting or reading?

Some good DC titles,
Booster gold
JL:Generations Lost
Powergirl (1-14 was fantastic. new writer/art team not quite as good.)
Red Robin
Batman and Robin

If its been awhile, you might need to do some catchup.
52, Batman:RIP, The DC with Batwoman #500 iirc?
The Question

All Star Superman

Not sure what the good "kid" titles are for DC. The Brave and the Bold?
I know Marvel has PowerPack titles. Which are amazing. Thor and the warriors four is the most recent. As well as Marvel Adventures.

WriterX
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Reading and Collecting. I had to get rid of ALL of my comics when my family moved back east (long story). My goal after my son was born was to have a great collection that I could pass down to him someday. However, I love reading them for myself. I have always loved the Flash, and Green Lantern. As well as Superman and Batman. JLA/JSA has been good at times. I used to be big into Marvel, but kind of quit once Wolverine started showing up on the cover of every monthly issue they put out.

I read most of 52, not sure on the others you listed. I like to collect, however I don't want to collect just based on how much the issue may be worth someday, it's gotta be something I like.

A guy I know told me the first issue of Green Arrow was really good, that's why I was thinking about grabbing that.

I'm heading to the comic shop later tonight, and am trying to whittle my choices down now, so I don't spend hours there later.

Mark Bertolini
07-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Reading and Collecting. I had to get rid of ALL of my comics when my family moved back east (long story). My goal after my son was born was to have a great collection that I could pass down to him someday. However, I love reading them for myself. I have always loved the Flash, and Green Lantern. As well as Superman and Batman. JLA/JSA has been good at times. I used to be big into Marvel, but kind of quit once Wolverine started showing up on the cover of every monthly issue they put out.

I read most of 52, not sure on the others you listed. I like to collect, however I don't want to collect just based on how much the issue may be worth someday, it's gotta be something I like.

A guy I know told me the first issue of Green Arrow was really good, that's why I was thinking about grabbing that.

I'm heading to the comic shop later tonight, and am trying to whittle my choices down now, so I don't spend hours there later.

There's nothing wrong with spending hours in a comic shop...

ronin7
07-30-2010, 03:31 PM
I haven't read Thor since JMS left, so I can't tell you if it's any good. I have read some of the DC comics in the past few years. Johns Teen Titans run is good. So was his first arc on the revamped JSA called the Next Age. I haven't read his next three arcs. Brad Meltzer's JLA was also good. Otherwise, I can't recommend anything.

WriterX
07-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Well I ended up getting The Flash, Green Lantern Corps, Green Arrow, and Superman (I think JMS is going to do awesome with this arc).

I read Green Arrow #2 and wow...I wasn't expecting what happened at the end. It was an amazing issue. Never really got into Green Arrow to much, but the guy that's writing it seems pretty good.

Now I just gotta figure out what's with that poster like image in the middle of the books....

Also, what's this whole "Heroic Age" thing? :carrot:

ronin7
07-31-2010, 05:56 AM
Well I ended up getting The Flash, Green Lantern Corps, Green Arrow, and Superman (I think JMS is going to do awesome with this arc).

I read Green Arrow #2 and wow...I wasn't expecting what happened at the end. It was an amazing issue. Never really got into Green Arrow to much, but the guy that's writing it seems pretty good.

Now I just gotta figure out what's with that poster like image in the middle of the books....

Also, what's this whole "Heroic Age" thing? :carrot:

It's Marvel turning their Avengers books from the gloom and doom from recent years. To more heroic times. Though, if you listen to the Bendis detractors, they will have you thinking that nothing has changed, Bendis sucks, blah, blah, blah.

Knuckles
07-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I would read Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. I think that has been the best stuff since the Sinestro war.

And somebody else suggested it, but I would definitely read All-star Superman.

WriterX
08-01-2010, 12:45 AM
I'd like to get back into Batman, but I stopped right around the time Hush ended. So I've missed the whole he has a son thing.

I'm really liking this JMS run on Superman as well. The Flash was awesome, as always. His rogues gallery has always been my favorite.