PDA

View Full Version : Hastings gets serious about comic books

Troy Wall
06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Huzzawhanow??? The retail chain Hastings has gotten quite serious with their comic book sales and have made some very considerable investments in becoming what is essentially America's first franchise comic book retailer.

This is pretty fuckin' cool if you ask me. What a step forward for traditional retailing in the face of all the digital doom hooplah.

Not posting this in the market place sub-forum in hopes more people will see this thread and discuss.

Story (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/21/hastings-the-first-national-comic-store-chain-in-us/)

Mark Bertolini
06-22-2010, 08:19 PM
I read about this today too. I'm in Canada, so it doesn't affect me, but a national chain of comic book stores is very cool.

RandallFlagg
06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
All right, I feel that I can weigh in on this one, being a huge comic fan, and a Hastings employee since May '06. I am very happy about this. We have a ton of space devoted to back issues (about 15 - 20 feet of space in our store, with lots of drawers full also), tons of stuff in the new arrivals and not just Marvel and DC either, and a lot of graphic novels.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. On one hand, it's great that comics will have a national retailer. On the other hand, if our comic department flops, it may discourage someone else from trying the same thing. So, I hope it works out.

Troy Wall
06-23-2010, 02:13 AM
All right, I feel that I can weigh in on this one, being a huge comic fan, and a Hastings employee since May '06. I am very happy about this. We have a ton of space devoted to back issues (about 15 - 20 feet of space in our store, with lots of drawers full also), tons of stuff in the new arrivals and not just Marvel and DC either, and a lot of graphic novels.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. On one hand, it's great that comics will have a national retailer. On the other hand, if our comic department flops, it may discourage someone else from trying the same thing. So, I hope it works out.

Your worries are 100% legit and I definitely share them. Lord, please let this work out!

Randall, where are you located? Dude, the part that really blows me away is the dedicated space to back issues. Do you know where Hastings purchases its back stock? Just very curious.

ronin7
06-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I also have my fingers crossed this works.

The Art Keeper
06-23-2010, 08:03 PM
I think it's an awesome move, their comics section is large and looks great. one big problem at my store, is not many marvel and dc back issues, and LOTS of old second tier publishers from the 90's. prob 95 percent of their comic back stock is not from the big three. I searched for old back issues of comics i used to collect and nothing. No hulk, no supes, not even kabuki... instead 20 copies of the same unsaleable valiant issue. i would offer that their comics buyer got taken to the cleaners.

they said they will be converting the current monthlies to back issues when they expire, and may even begin trading in comics from the customers. so yea, it's a great idea, i fully support the idea and hope they succeed, but based on what they have in stock right now it's the first step in a long march.omic

RandallFlagg
06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Your worries are 100% legit and I definitely share them. Lord, please let this work out!

Randall, where are you located? Dude, the part that really blows me away is the dedicated space to back issues. Do you know where Hastings purchases its back stock? Just very curious.
I'm in northern Oklahoma. I'm also really impressed with their back issue space. Unfortunately, like The Art Keeper said, they aren't that great. There are a few gems, like some really good issues of The Sandman, and I picked up a Sandman Mystery Theater #1, but a lot is really bad Valiant/terrible Image/random publisher crap. Like the 32 different variant covers of Shadowhawk #1. But we will be allowing customers to trade stuff in and whatnot.

As for where we get back issues, I'm not sure at the moment, but if you can wait until tomorrow, I can ask the store manager tomorrow to see if they know. So, if you have any more questions, make sure you ask them now, as I may know them and if not, can find out tomorrow.

Troy Wall
06-24-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm in northern Oklahoma. I'm also really impressed with their back issue space. Unfortunately, like The Art Keeper said, they aren't that great. There are a few gems, like some really good issues of The Sandman, and I picked up a Sandman Mystery Theater #1, but a lot is really bad Valiant/terrible Image/random publisher crap. Like the 32 different variant covers of Shadowhawk #1. But we will be allowing customers to trade stuff in and whatnot.

As for where we get back issues, I'm not sure at the moment, but if you can wait until tomorrow, I can ask the store manager tomorrow to see if they know. So, if you have any more questions, make sure you ask them now, as I may know them and if not, can find out tomorrow.

Randall, since it looks as though a lot of the Hastings stores might suffer from 90's speculator stock as their back issues, you should offer up your guidance to whoever is in charge of the comics department. Put them on the road to gaining stock that will actually generate revenue. And teach them what brand of books will rot inside their back issue bins for all eternity.

Bronze and older back issues GOOD. Most of 1990's BAD (small exceptions like Vertigo). Around 2000 up GOOD again. LOL.

I'd hate to see Hastings get a bad taste for comics through faulty attempts at selling bad stock.

Troy Wall
06-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Randall, I forgot to ask...can you snap a few photos of your store's comics department?

RandallFlagg
06-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Yeah, I've actually been trying to do just that. If I didn't transfer between 2 different Hastings stores due to college, I would be in charge of the department at one of them. I have been talking to the guy in charge of the one here, trying to help him in regards to what should go where, what back issues to display prominently, etc.

Unfortunately, the decision on what to order isn't in his hands. I'm sure he could suggest a lot of things, but ultimately it boils down to whatever they decide to send us and whatever our store manager tries to order. So most of that burden falls on corporate doing a good job.

And I will definitely get some pictures up tomorrow. I have to take my sister to work tomorrow, so I'll swing by and get some. And I have friends who live in Stillwater, about 60 miles away, and I'll try to get them to take some and send them to me so I can post them. Just to get everyone a pretty clear picture of what you'll be dealing with.

Troy Wall
06-24-2010, 03:46 AM
You're not that far away from me, but I looked at the store locations for Hastings and saw that Louisiana only has one. It's about two hours south of me in a town maybe 1/3 the size of where I live (Shreveport-Bossier). Kinda odd we don't have one, but I'm guessing the many Barnes & Noble / Books-A-Million outlets here probably wards away any prospective franchisers.

Arkansas shows a LOT of Hastings outlets. Wonder if it started in Arkansas like the great Wal-Mart did? :laugh:

Oh, and I think Mike225 lives in the town south of me that has a Hastings.

RandallFlagg
06-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Yeah, Hastings tends to stay out of bigger cities, other than Amarillo which is where Hastings originated. And they also stay away from places where Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million are.

It sucks that you don't have one. They're actually pretty cool. Much better movie deals than Blockbuster, awesome selection, and great book selection too. A lot of their stuff comes from used, which helps me find a lot of stuff that has been discontinued.

Troy Wall
06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
I betcha Hastings exclusives (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/24/idws-hastings-exclusive-covers-true-blood/) will become more and more frequent in the coming future, considering the significance of their Diamond account.

Troy Wall
06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah, Hastings tends to stay out of bigger cities, other than Amarillo which is where Hastings originated. And they also stay away from places where Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million are.

It sucks that you don't have one. They're actually pretty cool. Much better movie deals than Blockbuster, awesome selection, and great book selection too. A lot of their stuff comes from used, which helps me find a lot of stuff that has been discontinued.

It's cool, though...I plan on moving to the northwestern most part of Arkansas, right on the border of Oklahoma in the next two to three years. That area is littered with Hastings!

I really like that area. Much cooler weather and better scenery than where I'm at now. Better schools, less crime. MUCH LOWER SALES TAX! And I dig the bigger cities near the area like Tulsa.

I pretty much live in a gigantic toilet boil right now.

RandallFlagg
06-26-2010, 05:56 PM
pics soon. camera evil. :man:

Ian Ascher
06-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Ive never even heard of a Hastings. I thought it was a snake cake.

I want though...

Paul Sanderson
06-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Will keep my fingers crossed for this one.