PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Digital/Print Simultaneous Releases

Troy Wall
06-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Twenty years from now if a fellow fan asks you, "Pop quiz, nerd hot shot: What was the first mainstream comic released digitally the same day its counterpart in print hit the shelves?" You'll reply, "Ha! Too easy! It was the Invincible Iron Man Annual #1 (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26538), released on the iPad via Marvel's comic app and of course comic book speciality stores on June 30th, 2010!"

It's a pretty big deal when you think about it.

L Jamal
06-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Why? Do you remember the first Direct Market exclusive mainstream book?

I think the significance is lessened by the fact that they are releasing it in 3 parts, so it will be at least $3 for the entire issue digitally.

Troy Wall
06-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I dunno, I guess I've just bought into all the hype I read from comics journalists/bloggers about how five years from now all comics will be digital. Every time I read a column the writer espouses the end is nigh...

L Jamal
06-05-2010, 05:08 PM
LOL!
I look at it like this.
That $4 comic will cost me $2.60 with my discount (35%).
My discount may be larger than some, but I know a lot of places that offer 10% discounts on all new comics. That makes the $4 book, $3.60. I know a few places that offer 25% discounts which makes $4 books, $3.
The best price for these 3 downloads will be $3 and some are saying each will be $2, so that will be $6 for the whole issue. I can't imagine paying $600 for a device that would make my comics more expensive.

Troy Wall
06-05-2010, 08:18 PM
LOL!
I look at it like this.
That $4 comic will cost me $2.60 with my discount (35%).
My discount may be larger than some, but I know a lot of places that offer 10% discounts on all new comics. That makes the $4 book, $3.60. I know a few places that offer 25% discounts which makes $4 books, $3.
The best price for these 3 downloads will be $3 and some are saying each will be $2, so that will be $6 for the whole issue. I can't imagine paying $600 for a device that would make my comics more expensive.

Yeah, I've actually never been to an LCS that didn't offer 10% off new comics when you open a pull list with them. But, never seen higher than 10%....that's really cool, but hard to see how the owner would make good profit with 25% off to all pull listers.

L Jamal
06-05-2010, 09:03 PM
It's a discount based on quantity ordered.
I work with them on their web site, so they give me the employee discount (35%).
Otherwise, the highest discount is 25%