PDA

View Full Version : Seige Aftermath: Avengers: Prime

ponyrl
06-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Okay, I'm going to be frank with this.

I purchased this for Alan Davis/Mark Farmer's art so take this for whatever.

I...am TIRED of non-comicbook writers (there are those that can...and there are those that REALLY cannot!), writing comics.

PERIOD!

This is the second Heroic Age book I've picked up...that SUCKED!

A++ for art. C- for stories. :yuk:

That's it, that's all. I must remind myself to JUST look at the pictures.

Won't ruin the book for ya, but, there's arguing, then a dorothy goes to OZ moment.

That's the whole issue.

Troy Wall
06-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I...am TIRED of non-comicbook writers (there are those that can...and there are those that REALLY cannot!), writing comics.

I don't understand how you can possibly view Brian Bendis as anything but a dyed in the wool comic book writer. It's what the man has done for twenty years counting his independent work. He's normally fantastic at it, too, but I agree that Avengers: Prime #1 fell flat on its face. I'm afraid he's sticking with the Avengers titles longer than he should because I would imagine it's hard to let go of such a fun franchise.

I'd like to see him return to primarily solo character work like Daredevil, Alias, etc.

Now, there's a whole host of writers from other mediums currently writing comics because that's been the hot and trendy thing for publishers to look for these past few years. And yup, many of them suck at writing comics.

But Brian Bendis considered primarily a writer of things other than comic books? What planet are you from, ponyrl? :)

ponyrl
06-04-2010, 09:26 PM
He's altered his writing to follow a trend, which if we're going for heroic age, Prime was not it.

There's more internal conflict, and enough external conflict going on. Who wants to read people argue and having attitudes towards each other more often than not?

Isn't that what reality shows are for?

HaphazardJoy
06-04-2010, 09:32 PM
He's altered his writing to follow a trend, which if we're going for heroic age, Prime was not it.

There's more internal conflict, and enough external conflict going on. Who wants to read people argue and having attitudes towards each other more often than not?

Isn't that what reality shows are for?

You mean: who wants to have a story resolve the building tension between three major characters over the past several years of story arcs? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, just because it's a story about superheroes doesn't mean every book should be page after page of fight scenes.

ponyrl
06-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Right, but there's a way to write tension without it breaking down to an argument. It's like going into the polar opposite.

Before, more fight scenes less "tension building" as you call it.
Now, more arguing less interaction between characters to motivate the plot along.

Like reading a Kevin Smith comic, not his super hero, his Jay & silent bob stuff, but his work is oriented towards that.

HaphazardJoy
06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I haven't read it yet myself, but I'm looking forward to it. I still buy my books old fashioned style, and my shop of choice is a bit of a drive, so I only go every two or three weeks.

ponyrl
06-04-2010, 11:30 PM
I buy back issues or the things my local WON'T stock (like the latest Robocop series from Dynamite) online.

ronin7
06-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Right, but there's a way to write tension without it breaking down to an argument. It's like going into the polar opposite.

Before, more fight scenes less "tension building" as you call it.
Now, more arguing less interaction between characters to motivate the plot along.

Like reading a Kevin Smith comic, not his super hero, his Jay & silent bob stuff, but his work is oriented towards that.

Wall to wall fight scenes equates lesser characterization, lesser plot focus, and just ramped up violence. If that's all you want read Garth Ennis' work, or Mark Millar's. Because whining about Bendis is getting old.

ponyrl
06-05-2010, 03:42 PM
You know ronin, and this will be the first time I've done this, if you like what's going on, then fine enjoy every thing and suck at the teat (thanks for the correction :har: ) of those that produce what you like.

But in this case, this is my beef.

Step the hell off! No one is asking you to repeat the things about people that have a problem with Bendis here.

So step the hell out of my thread. *puts on ignore*

HaphazardJoy
06-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Would you like some cheese to go with that w(h)ine?

ronin7
06-06-2010, 07:55 AM
You know ronin, and this will be the first time I've done this, if you like what's going on, then fine enjoy every thing and suck at the tit of those that produce what you like.

But in this case, this is my beef.

Step the hell off! No one is asking you to repeat the things about people that have a problem with Bendis here.

So step the hell out of my thread. *puts on ignore*

Dude, Bendis is a great guy. I have spoken with him via email before. It's pretty sad that because people don't like his work. They have to go on every message board and trash his work like some children throwing a tantrum.

ponyrl
06-06-2010, 03:50 PM
So because I'm dissatisfied I'm whining?

Funny.

The art was good. That's about it.

Oh, and Hap, I like an aged w(h)ine with my cheese.

And crackers.

HaphazardJoy
06-06-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't like what you have to say so I'm putting you on ignore!

Also: stop being so racist, leave me and my fellow crackers alone.

ronin7
06-06-2010, 05:13 PM
lol @ this thread.

YoMonkeysMyB*tch
06-06-2010, 06:14 PM
I didn't realize being disguntled about comics was a bash-able offense? :huh:

Guys are kinda hostile towards the guy for having a viewpoint.

And crackers taste gooood. :)

He put 'em on ignore, so be. I've read posts on this site I'd put on ignore just because, and this is a new guy's perspective, a body doesn't want to see the same speech defending something another guy has issue with.

You won't change his mind, as it seems, and he doesn't want to run the same argument.

But, what do I know. OP, read old books, don't bother with most modern & you'll be happy (that seems to be a valid answer for him).

Biofungus
06-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Nobody mind Pony, it's his "time of the month" again...

CHWolf
06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Bendis stabbed my Aunt to death.

HaphazardJoy
06-06-2010, 11:00 PM
I didn't realize being disguntled about comics was a bash-able offense? :huh:

Everything is a bashable offense. EVERYTHING.

Which reminds me, nice name newb! :nyah:

CHWolf
06-06-2010, 11:32 PM
All she wanted was to know the time.

HaphazardJoy
06-06-2010, 11:34 PM
All I wanted was a Pepsi.

YoMonkeysMyB*tch
06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Everything is a bashable offense. EVERYTHING.

Which reminds me, nice name newb! :nyah:
Thanks Hap. :laugh:

kamikaze
06-07-2010, 07:02 PM
i think the word is "teat", not "tit"

ponyrl
06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Nobody mind Pony, it's his "time of the month" again...
:man:

*exhales*

Sorry ronin.

I'm just feeling pissed because I can't find much (there's very little, and usually mini-series) from the big two that give me the joy of comics. Indy's are find (dynamite has some great books) but...dammit, I grew up on FF and the silver surfer and Iron man!

*Sigh* I wanted to like Avengers Prime (it's alan davis/mark farmer).

OKAY, I still feel betrayed after 8 years of what they've been doing now!

There, I said it. I'ma go and sulk.

ronin7
06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
:man:

*exhales*

Sorry ronin.

I'm just feeling pissed because I can't find much (there's very little, and usually mini-series) from the big two that give me the joy of comics. Indy's are find (dynamite has some great books) but...dammit, I grew up on FF and the silver surfer and Iron man!

*Sigh* I wanted to like Avengers Prime (it's alan davis/mark farmer).

OKAY, I still feel betrayed after 8 years of what they've been doing now!

There, I said it. I'ma go and sulk.

No problem :D

HaphazardJoy
06-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I enjoyed it, I see what the issue is.