PDA

View Full Version : Joe Quesada Promoted To Chief Creative Officer

Mwynn
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
http://comicrelated.com/news/6766/joe-quesada-promoted

Biofungus
06-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Promoted to a station he's been totally unqualified for in the past few years.

"to bring the rich Marvel history to a new audience"

By altering it significantly?

Way to go, corporate America!

ronin7
06-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Guess you never want to work for Marvel with that attitude.

Doctor Shock
06-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Guess you never want to work for Marvel with that attitude.Obviously.
But who would want to work for Marvel today unless it's all about money.

CHWolf
06-02-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd work for them if it was all about monkey.

Paul Sanderson
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Aidy
06-03-2010, 07:31 AM
He's clown shoes.

ronin7
06-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Obviously.

Working for the Big Two has been a dream of mine. So, me. You can't make it in the comic business unless you realize what big business is like, and expect your stories to be junked. I hear a lot of guys here say they could write better than most of the Marvel writers, but I highly doubt it. I don't even think I could produce one quality story on the level of their writers. But, I keep working hard so I learn the ins and outs of the craft.

Having a big mouth and an attitude only sends you down the path of staying a nobody with a big mouth and an attitude. Being humble and paying your dues shows all the EIC's out there that you have what it takes to make it.

Aidy
06-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Working for the Big Two has been a dream of mine. So, me. You can't make it in the comic business unless you realize what big business is like, and expect your stories to be junked. I hear a lot of guys here say they could write better than most of the Marvel writers, but I highly doubt it. I don't even think I could produce one quality story on the level of their writers. But, I keep working hard so I learn the ins and outs of the craft.

Having a big mouth and an attitude only sends you down the path of staying a nobody with a big mouth and an attitude. Being humble and paying your dues shows all the EIC's out there that you have what it takes to make it.

Do you recall a certain big mouthed guy with an attitude who walked into Marvel told them that some of their characters where being raped and had become useless jokes and demanded that they gave him and his equally big mouthed mate access to them and let them do what they wish? I do ....his name was Joe Quesada and thats how Marvel Knights got started, it ended with Gambit and Wolverine not being allowed to smoke.

Lesson: one day you swagger and rock then next you suck cock.

MARK A ROBINSON
06-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Obviously.

I would.

There's a ton of characters that i have yet to touch.

Peace,

M.

MARK A ROBINSON
06-03-2010, 03:13 PM
You guys are bunch of haters yo.

I can remember when everyone bitched about Marvel before Joe got there. Yet you are still obviously reading the books you condemn.

I guess it wouldn't be fun if you couldn't bitch every weds for the rest of your natural born lives huh?

I think some of your like the negativity and the abuse it brings you. Have a nice day and keep smiling.

:w00t:

Peace,

M.

Buckyrig
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Having a big mouth and an attitude only sends you down the path of staying a nobody

So what? Wrong goal.

with a big mouth and an attitude.

Well, ok, that's not necessary (but I think criticism doesn't equal "attitude"). Of course, everyone is also a fan and has expectations as fans.

Being humble and paying your dues shows all the EIC's out there that you have what it takes to make it.

Ok, but then there is always this "this is a small industry, don't have an opinion" blacklisting threat horseshit. I have no idea how accurate or not it is, but it's not ok for an industry to behave like a trust or, really, the Mafia.

Doctor Shock
06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
You guys are bunch of haters yo.

I can remember when everyone bitched about Marvel before Joe got there. Yet you are still obviously reading the books you condemn.

I guess it wouldn't be fun if you couldn't bitch every weds for the rest of your natural born lives huh?

I think some of your like the negativity and the abuse it brings you. Have a nice day and keep smiling.
Yep I'm definitely a Hater. I don't read any of Marvel's high priced incoherent books I read reprints and old comics mainly. I don't like DC now either. Marvel under Quesada has become a convoluted mess and the characters I love are dead and buried. Going to a comic shop on Wednesday? What for? What is there to get excited about? Spider-man unmasked and then magically forgets everything? Luke Cage sodomizing someone? Ultimate incest and wife beating? I haven't read any of those stories personally but heard about them here. Why would I pick up any of their comics?

I suppose someone could come along and write a good Marvel comic like the ones I loved but it's an aberration.

Go ahead and work for Marvel it isn't a company you can be proud of tho.

MARK A ROBINSON
06-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Ok, but then there is always this "this is a small industry, don't have an opinion" blacklisting threat horseshit. I have no idea how accurate or not it is, but it's not ok for an industry to behave like a trust or, really, the Mafia.

I agree with this.

I use to worry a ton about it. Sometimes i still do to be honest. Because in some ways i still think it's in place. But that could be the paranoia that comes with creative isolation. who knows- the days are short and the nights are long man.

I do think tho that if you think too hard on it being that way you will never get any work out there. Ever. There's a bunch of different personalites for all the stuff out there. I think if you have a good body of work and can get it done you'll be good. Speak your mind i would say.

The comic industry needs more creators with a voice anyway. It's our ideas that are making the world go round so by all means... Speak up.

Because i'm tied of hearing the would "graphic novel" attached to everythnig about comic books interpretend in that speak. It shows the collection ignorance of the pop culture to the whole artform IMO.

M.

MARK A ROBINSON
06-03-2010, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=

Go ahead and work for Marvel it isn't a company you can be proud of tho.[/QUOTE]

Well Doctor Shock if that is indeed your REAL name i am proud that i have worked for both companies.

It was a personal achievement and an honor really. I am sorry Joe ( and obviously others) broke your comicbook heart man. I will light a candle for you tonight while i doodle in your name. Maybe something awesoem will happen and a new comicbook fan will take your place in the big cosmic wheel of things.

Next caller... You're on the Hate Line.

Don't jump. Just talk. We are listening.

M.

Doctor Shock
06-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Well Doctor Shock if that is indeed your REAL name i am proud that i have worked for both companies.
It was a personal achievement and an honor really.
I am sorry Joe (and obviously others) broke your comicbook heart man.
I will light a candle for you tonight while i doodle in your name.
Maybe something awesome will happen and a new comicbook fan will take your place in the big cosmic wheel of things.I doubt any comic fans will take my place Joe Quesada said a long time ago that Comics aren't for kids and never have been. Sales of comics have plunged in the last 15 years dramatically.
I suppose I would consider it an achievement to do some work for Marvel because it's hard to get in but unless I could do a retro FF X-men or Spider-man story I wouldn't want to.

Yes they broke my comicbook heart but most of all it breaks my heart that the only comics I can give my kids are old reprints and I don't wanna hear "Marvel Adventures" when I was a kid I read the "real" Marvel universe and it was fun and I bought 40 titles a month. I can't recommend most of the crap Marvel puts out to anybody. When a new movie comes out they have some part 67 of 200 storyline that no one outside of comics can understand and they are the most inbred of stories I've ever seen.
You don't have to worry about new readers they are playing XBOX PS3 Wii and computer games and they are disinterested. Maybe these GRAPHIC NOVELS will eventually catch on with the 40-50 yr old men they're aimed at.

ronin7
06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
So what? Wrong goal.

Well, ok, that's not necessary (but I think criticism doesn't equal "attitude"). Of course, everyone is also a fan and has expectations as fans.

Marvel was in the proverbial crapper before Joe. If he didn't take over when he did. Marvel would still be in the crapper, and sold off to several different hands by now. He saved the company. He made the characters viable again.

I don't agree with all of his decisions. But, I wouldn't downplay his importance to the comic industry, or patronize his effect on how comics are being made now.

ronin7
06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
I doubt any comic fans will take my place Joe Quesada said a long time ago that Comics aren't for kids and never have been. Sales of comics have plunged in the last 15 years dramatically.
I suppose I would consider it an achievement to do some work for Marvel because it's hard to get in but unless I could do a retro FF X-men or Spider-man story I wouldn't want to.

Yes they broke my comicbook heart but most of all it breaks my heart that the only comics I can give my kids are old reprints and I don't wanna hear "Marvel Adventures" when I was a kid I read the "real" Marvel universe and it was fun and I bought 40 titles a month. I can't recommend most of the crap Marvel puts out to anybody. When a new movie comes out they have some part 67 of 200 storyline that no one outside of comics can understand and they are the most inbred of stories I've ever seen.
You don't have to worry about new readers they are playing XBOX PS3 Wii and computer games and they are disinterested. Maybe these GRAPHIC NOVELS will eventually catch on with the 40-50 yr old men they're aimed at.

That's the kind of cynical attitude the comic industry doesn't need. If you don't like how business is being done now. Then get out. That simple. You're not going to change anything by bitching and moaning on this or any other message board. You are only going to make enemies.

Doctor Shock
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
That's the kind of cynical attitude the comic industry doesn't need. If you don't like how business is being done now. Then get out. That simple. You're not going to change anything by bitching and moaning on this or any other message board. You are only going to make enemies.I'm already out, actually I was never in. Just because I don't like Marvel or DC today doesn't mean I don't like comics today, there are some good independents and other companies out there and I have all the original Spider-man, Avengers, FF comics to enjoy.
I think you can self-publish or do webcomics though, Marvel and DC aren't the only tickets in town y'know? Why do you think it's all or nothing and that disliking Marvel means get out?

MARK A ROBINSON
06-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Marvel was in the proverbial crapper before Joe. If he didn't take over when he did. Marvel would still be in the crapper, and sold off to several different hands by now. He saved the company. He made the characters viable again.

I don't agree with all of his decisions. But, I wouldn't downplay his importance to the comic industry, or patronize his effect on how comics are being made now.

Agreed.

M.

MARK A ROBINSON
06-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Doctor Shock i think there's tons of books out there you can buy your kids that's appropriate for them.

Gotta do the research there bro.

I don't think Graphic Novels are aimed at anyone but a more hipster affluent type crowd that occassionally reads books just to be able to keep up with what's new and doing on the pop cultural scene.

It's a buzz word now at best to describe what Hollywood wants them to deem as legitamite reading from a comicbook.

It's nonsense.

I think if you already know what can get your comicbook heart pumping agian and that's to just introduce your kids and any kids to what made you a fan in the first place.

Peace,

M.

MARK A ROBINSON
06-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Sidenote.

And i dunno. All i do know is The from what i have heard and seen... Joe is responsible for bringing diversity to the forfront just a bit more with characters like.

Black Panther. Luke Cage and Falcon.

I'm down with that anyday of the week. Down with brown heroes man. More of ethic super heroes please thanks!

Peace,

M.

JamieRoberts
06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Wanna blame Joe Quesada for ruining Marvel? Fine.

You might wanna go and blame DiDio for ruining DC.

You might wanna blame the TV networks for ruining evening drama.

You might wanna blame R&B for ruining pop.

The one thing I've noticed recently is that entertainment media has changed. It's changed drastically. I'm going to take TV as the main example.

In the 70s and 80s, you had shows like Battlestar Galactica, The A-Team, TJ Hooker, Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, Cagney and Lacey, Miami Vice etc. Have you watched those shows recently? They're a shot of nostalgia, sure, but they're pretty damn cheesy and very quaint in many ways. Other than Doctor Who, there's little with that kind of approach on primetime TV these days. Remakes and movie versions? Miami Vice was made into Heat 2, Battlestar Galactica was given so much more depth. Others were made into parodies.

That tells me that audiences have changed. Not everyone, but there's been a shift in tastes towards realism. Audiences demand better scripts, more research, better design, better atmospheric incidental music. You name it, the pressure's on. Largely due to the internet, I'd have to assume.

(Incidentally, sitcoms have barely changed in five decades and developing new shows today seems unsurprisingly risky.)

Now look at comics, and Marvel in particular. It's the same story. Sure, everyone loved the days when Spider-Man thought in bubbles and said things like "gosh-darn", fighting one battle per issue. I'm not being snide here, I loved it too. But you just can't go on like that. The 90s, despite being grim and gritty and awash with scenes of heroes in ill-designed armour, had the same excess exposition, clunky dialogue and formulaic plots. With splash pages. As a result, the 90s almost sunk Marvel. You carry on in that vein, you're doomed. It was a result of not seeing where the audience was going.

Quesada came along and immediately hired new (or at least long-absent) to Marvel creators. Morrison, Allred, Quitely, Millar, Bendis, Mack, Ennis and Dillon hot off Preacher. He poached Axel Alonso who was on fire in those first months. It was almost a revolution and it was based on hiring creators who had made the headlines or hit Wizard's top 10, rather than giving Howard Mackie a third Spider-Man title.

Sure, there have been miscalcuations (Zimmerman, Austen, Truth) but hell, at least something was happening. I know I'll get crucified for this sentence, but stories finally meant something. They had a point besides 'hero thwarts an evil scheme'.

The audience changed because they grew up. Kids stopped reading comics waaaay before Joe came long. If you're running a bar and nobody's bought Coors in 6 years, you get Heineken in. You don't chase customers down the street with a Coors barrel.

I'll be honest. Marvel has lost some of its shine for me, now. I don't care for the 'writing for the trade' style, and event fatigue and endless Deadpool has annoyed me as much as the $3.99 price tags. Still, I'd rather have current Marvel than 1999, 1989 or 1979 Marvel.

Doctor Shock
06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Doctor Shock i think there's tons of books out there you can buy your kids that's appropriate for them.
Gotta do the research there broI know it's just that the mainstream Marvel and DC books aren't it and I think that's a shame. I used to get everything Marvel put out when I was a kid and followed the whole universe, now I have to either give them reprints of old stuff or find the occasional all ages book.

I think if you already know what can get your comicbook heart pumping again and that's to just introduce your kids and any kids to what made you a fan in the first place.

ronin7
06-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I know it's just that the mainstream Marvel and DC books aren't it and I think that's a shame. I used to get everything Marvel put out when I was a kid and followed the whole universe, now I have to either give them reprints of old stuff or find the occasional all ages book.

I respect you for drawing the line, man. But, as creators we can't tie our hands and expect to make it anywhere. We have to bold, fresh, and innovative. That's what catches peoples eyes. That is what Joe has done, and that is what he will continue to do as long as Alan Fine sees fit to keep him.

Paul Sanderson
06-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I agree with Doctor Shock. Joe has crapped all over Marvel (and DiDio over DC). Both are no longer what they once were. The magic is gone. Comics were once something special. They no longer are. Joe Q. isn't solely responsible for that, of course, but he's done plenty of bad things to contribute to that. Sorry.

Biofungus
06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Joe was great when he first became EIC. But over the past few years, he's taken Marvel to the places he was originally trying to save it from.

I'm fine with bringing minority characters to the forefront. That's not at issue. But "bringing the rich history of Marvel" to new audiences by drastically changing them for the negative?

How can you give a man a position with "Creativity" in the very title, when he's shown numerous times over the past few years that he's lost most of his creative objectivity?

CHWolf
06-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey, guys. Don't question the decisions of the guy who brought us Extra-Mecha-Arms Spidey.

We all wanted to know what Spider-Man would be like with extra-mecha-arms. He had the BALLS to do it!!

Buckyrig
06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
(Incidentally, sitcoms have barely changed in five decades and developing new shows today seems unsurprisingly risky.)

Sitcoms have changed immensely. Many have stopped using the three camera style with only three walls on all sets. There's the hour long comedy-drama. Lots of other stuff.

dmoser
06-03-2010, 09:47 PM
My girlfriend is a teacher at the middle school where we live and she runs the school's comic book club. She started the club because she would catch kids reading comics during class and thought that if she did a club where they could share their love for the books and be allowed to read them she could reach out to some of the "problem" students who weren't paying attention. Her club has more members in it than ANY other club in the school. The kids are made up of male and female, black, white, hispanic and asian. These kids LOVE comics. I've gone in and talked about what I've done as a creator and held their attention for the entire hour they're at the club, simply because they're so into the medium.
Yeah, maybe kids today are spending more time on video games but so am I and so are all my friends. My friends and I still buy our comics on a weekly basis though. Perhaps we shouldn't just say kids aren't reading comics anymore, giving up on that audience, but instead we should be asking ourselves how can we get kids to read more comics.
And finally I'd like to state that I would work for Marvel tomorrow given the opportunity. My reasoning is about more than just money. I grew up loving Marvel's characters, from the big guys like Wolverine and Captain America to lesser known characters like Cloak and Dagger and Moon Knight. I would love the chance to add my own ideas to their history, to tell the stories I imagined from reading their stories. I love marvel's characters, always have and always will, regardless of whether or not I like every book they appear in.

MARK A ROBINSON
06-03-2010, 09:53 PM
I agree with Doctor Shock. Joe has crapped all over Marvel (and DiDio over DC). Both are no longer what they once were. The magic is gone. Comics were once something special. They no longer are. Joe Q. isn't solely responsible for that, of course, but he's done plenty of bad things to contribute to that. Sorry.

Bah.

You guys sound like a bunch of old fuddy duddies really.

paul you've been bitching forever and yet you still seem to bring your thoughts to the table on books that you supposedly DON'T care about anymore.

It's old. Tired. You guys just sound like every other elitist comic shop goer i hear on the DL when they are bitching just to bitch then i ask them what they are even doing in the store then if comics suck somuch then?

I think you guys are just elitists and think that you can run the comic book world better because you are just as brilliant as any of the Joe Q's or Didio's in the world and it's old.

Sorry to say. Until i see or hear different comics have just changed into another cycle. It's the same desing only different applications to that design. Nothing new here.

People always clamor for the other side of things until it's not what they wanted and they want it back to the way things were.

But you guys are addicts as am i. I'll see you at the next meeting.

Peace,

M.

ponyrl
06-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Bah.

You guys sound like a bunch of old fuddy duddies really.

paul you've been bitching forever and yet you still seem to bring your thoughts to the table on books that you supposedly DON'T care about anymore.

It's old. Tired. You guys just sound like every other elitist comic shop goer i hear on the DL when they are bitching just to bitch then i ask them what they are even doing in the store then if comics suck somuch then?

I think you guys are just elitists and think that you can run the comic book world better because you are just as brilliant as any of the Joe Q's or Didio's in the world and it's old.

Sorry to say. Until i see or hear different comics have just changed into another cycle. It's the same desing only different applications to that design. Nothing new here.

People always clamor for the other side of things until it's not what they wanted and they want it back to the way things were.

But you guys are addicts as am i. I'll see you at the next meeting.

Peace,

M.

http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/019/00083207_.jpg

:D

WHERE'RE HERE FOR YOU MAN![I][U]

http://www.justpictureitnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Clean-and-Sober.jpg

:cry:

John Rauch
06-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I for one am proud to have worked for both Marvel and DC as well. I've never in my life worked at a company where I was 100% behind every single decision ever made. I just do my best and let others do theirs.

zcotty
06-04-2010, 05:18 AM
I find it strange that people who jumped off of Marvel and DC long ago are even commenting in a Marvel thread...

There's bitching to be found in everything. I "knew" a guy who bitched and moaned about both of the big two CONSTANTLY then he suddenly dissapeared... I made a joke about him being knocked off, but it turned out that he had got picked up by Marvel! :blink:

He stopped bitching and moaning.

Doctor Shock
06-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I find it strange that people who jumped off of Marvel and DC long ago are even commenting in a Marvel thread...

There's bitching to be found in everything. I "knew" a guy who bitched and moaned about both of the big two CONSTANTLY then he suddenly dissapeared... I made a joke about him being knocked off, but it turned out that he had got picked up by Marvel! :blink:

He stopped bitching and moaning.
I consider it commenting. That's what the board is for Opinions if you don't want to read different ones the choice is yours to stay away. Joe Quesada isn't a very good EIC IMO and I want to express something other than "Congrats Joe".

JamieRoberts
06-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah, but nothing is being commented on other than the usual 'comics aren't very good anymore'. That's not even the discussion. Where are the insightful comments about Joe Quesada's impact, the potential ups and downs of the new role, how it fits into the bigger picture in terms of the Disney merger?

Pining for the old days is all well and good, supporting indies is all well and good. But what exactly does that subject have to do with Joe Q's promotion?

Mark Bertolini
06-04-2010, 05:20 PM
I think if you take a look at some of things that have happened under Quesada, you can see that he does care about the company and where it's going.

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely on X-Men. Complete steal.

Brubaker's Captain America run, nearly untouchable.

Bendis on Daredevil, took a character that was in the toilet and re-wrote street-level crime comics.

Fraction on Invincible Iron Man, capitalized on the success of the movie and created an amazing new take on Tony Stark.

Some major names working at Marvel, directly as a result of Quesada (and whether you like them or not, they are legitimate big guns in the industry): Bendis, Mark Millar, Grant Morrison, Jeph Loeb, John Romita JR, Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Kevin Smith...all of these guys worked or currently work at Marvel.

There's no denying Q's impact.

Doctor Shock
06-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah, but nothing is being commented on other than the usual 'comics aren't very good anymore'. That's not even the discussion. Where are the insightful comments about Joe Quesada's impact, the potential ups and downs of the new role, how it fits into the bigger picture in terms of the Disney merger?
Pining for the old days is all well and good, supporting indies is all well and good. But what exactly does that subject have to do with Joe Q's promotion?I think the consensus of the "Haters" is that Joe's impact has been largely negative. He seems to dislike the foundations Marvel was built on and wanted to make Marvel into an adult comic company, he set out to do that from the very beginning. He seems embarrassed by the classic stuff and that bugs me. He's allowed the characters to be changed beyond recognition and has no sense of continuity which used to make the Marvel Universe fun.
Guess you never want to work for Marvel with that attitude.I think the idea is that us "Haters" wouldn't want to work for Marvel with him in charge, I would like to work for them if he left and someone with old-school sensibilities took over had a crisis type house cleaning event and reset the characters back to when they were fun.

The Forever series is an example of what fans are clamoring for, stories that were less bogged down with all the adult "realism" baggage Q. has allowed and promoted.

Phatman
06-04-2010, 06:19 PM
I've met Joe a few times and he seems like a great guy. I like a lot of the books Marvel has produced under his leadership. A lot of people seem to really hate the guy---sorry, I don't get it. If you don't like the product, buy something else and they'll can him.

On the whole, "better watch what you say on the internet" crap---sorry, don't buy it. If you can draw/ink/color/letter/write very well and work fast, nobody gives two craps what you said about whoever on the internet----it's business. If you're a great guy/gal and you are so-so at the other two, you might be able to get work as well. If you're a slow or untalented a-hole you might have a problem. Comics is just like every other business folks. Get over it.

Doctor Shock
06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
On the whole, "better watch what you say on the internet" crap---sorry, don't buy it. If you can draw/ink/color/letter/write very well and work fast, nobody gives two craps what you said about whoever on the internet----it's business. If you're a great guy/gal and you are so-so at the other two, you might be able to get work as well. If you're a slow or untalented a-hole you might have a problem. Comics is just like every other business folks. Get over it.
Yeah Doctor Shock isn't really on their radar either.

Phatman
06-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah Doctor Shock isn't really on their radar either.

I would love see a book with the name Doctor Shock on the cover as a creator---awesome.