PDA

View Full Version : Swamp Thing Returns to the DCU

N Hammer
06-01-2010, 05:37 PM
First read this....
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/01/china-mieville-swamp-thing-vertigo-series-binned/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool +Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29

Then read this...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/01/swamp-thing-returns-to-the-dc-universe-and-hes-bringing-his-friends/

I've never disliked Didio more..

I think China Miéville would have been very good on Swamp Thing. If John Constantine ever shows up in the regular DCU, I'll never buy another DC comic.

Ian Ascher
06-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Interesting....

Not necessarily a bad thing either. Times have changed and so have the books, characters and creators. Its obvious there isn't really an audience for Swamp Thing as a Vertigo book right now. He's had two or three series since the original ended.

Alan Moore's run is viewed as the holy grail and no matter what they do with the character, nothing will ever touch it again. That kind of puts the book in a bad place.

There really hasn't been a true DCU character moved over to Vertigo for some time now. Why not put Swamp Thing and Shade the Changing Man and similar characters back in the DCU to see if we can breath new life into them again.

The only original Vertigo book that hasn't been canceled or re-invented to my knowledge is Hellblazer. Why couldn't there be a DCU Hellblazer and a Vertigo Hellblazer?

L Jamal
06-02-2010, 09:02 AM
The only original Vertigo book that hasn't been canceled or re-invented to my knowledge is Hellblazer. Why couldn't there be a DCU Hellblazer and a Vertigo Hellblazer?
Because DC isn't in the market to have 2 books starring the same character in 2 essentially adult markets. Only Marvel (with Punisher) feels the need to provide a mainstream and MAX/Vertigo version of the same character at the same time.

Ian Ascher
06-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Does Franken-Castle really count as a Punisher book anymore? He's an un-dead Frankenstien monter running around swamps and sewers with other monsters isn't he?

I can see why Marvel feels they need a different Punisher book after that mess.

If DC wanted a second Hellblazer book, they could do it. I truly believe they are in the market for it. The character had a movie with talk of a sequel and a reboot already. He's viable for them.

It would certainly be worth testing the waters as a mini-series if not an on-going.

L Jamal
06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
even before Franken-Castle Punisher had a regular non-Max series and a regular series of minis via Max

Sequential76
06-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Kinda funny to see a Swampthing thread here already considering the title has been off the racks for some time. So I'll just comment here.

I bought Alan Moore's "Writing for comics." I'm halfway through it. It's awesome and I knew some of the personal views in the book might go over my head. Some things but not much, I'm halfway thruogh the essay. I think it's brilliant, I see alot of lines I hear other artists paraphrase on John Suintres "Word Balloon". I also enjoyed the hour of criusing the internet and youtube hearing him and his beliefs. Glycon -interesting. I liked when Dave Sim depicted him in Cerebus.

So halfway through, I'm enjoying the hell out of the essay and I've only ever read the first 3-4 issues of "Watchmen". I saw the things he was doing in The Watchman as very clever but I could never get into it. I don't feel I can appreciate the book. I just think its the wrong book at the wrong time for me based on many things.

It occured to me that the Moore book that stands out the most in my mind is the Swampthing stuff. Over a decade ago they where interesting but seemed a little dense. I'm a Wrightson lover and grabbed the first trade with him but never could get into it. Too much droning on in the captions trying to make the writing like a victorian horror or something. That's another reason why I can't get into EC stuff easily but I respect it and will read eventually.

But man I read the first three issues of the Moore Swampthing and I LLLOOOOOVE it. I can't wait to read the next issue! :D I'm very happy about this, as a kid I loved the movie and now I'm reading Swampthing awesome.

The book is crafted in a very organic style, There was this falcon/eagle planted throughout the margins in issue 20 that had bearing on the sinister general in the next issue. I guess that's Moore's interpretation of Hitchcock. Bissette and Totleben are great. I saw an interview on The "Jon Stewart show" where this guy belived that our body stores memories much like the brain. I was thinking about this stuff yesterday and kinda luaghed to myself when I read through Moore's treatment of the Planarian Worms. Many of the same thoeries.

Ahh good stuff, You don't know how happy I am to be reading this stuff comfortably. I like how at moments in the book when Moore starts captioning off victorian horror style it stops almost abruptly and he writes, "...Something like that" :laugh:

Issue 22 was beautiful. The visuals of the swampthing sleeping with water collected in his face was very clever.

Paul Sanderson
06-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Might be good. We'll just have to wait and see.