PDA

View Full Version : Tools of the Trade.

TooDerisive
05-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so if I choose the wrong one, I apologize.

I used to have a vertical HP scanner, which I loved to death. Sadly it died and they don't make it anymore.

Has anyone, through trial and error, found a scanner that they think is top notch for scanning pencil roughs in for digital inking?

Obviously it's not the only thing I'm scanning, but most of my works are pure pencil, so I'm looking for the best possible translator [scanner].

Also, if it were to handle 11x17 that would be premium..

Thanks,
-Bryant

Biofungus
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=MFC6490CW&tab=spec

Although it actually scans at 10.76x16.76 (which isn't really an issue unless you're doing full bleed), but the price is excellent, the print quality has been great so far for me, and it seems to quickly be replacing the Mustek A3 as the preferred scanner for do-it-at-home comic work :)

Gav Heryng
05-18-2010, 08:50 AM
The mustek does scan the full page though and is perfect for black and white, though a bit funky on colour scanning.

Gav

C. Wallace
05-25-2010, 03:10 AM
I have a Mustek A3 here, bought it about 7-8 years ago IIRC. It worked well and did it's job for years. However, I just purchased the Brother 6490CW about a month ago and its superior to my old Mustek in just about every way. The obvious is that you get a large format printer, scanner and fax for less than the price of the Mustek alone. Staples has refurbished ones on sale for $179 plus a $30 rebate and free shipping... so it ends up being half price.

The resolution is FAR better on the Brother than the Mustek, which was the one thing I was always unhappy with. Although the new Musteks are 1200 or 2400 dpi depending on the model you buy, so they are comparable to the Brother. IIRC the originals were only 300dpi or something like that.

The Musteks scan area is 11.7 x 16.5 so you CANNOT scan a full 17 inches either. However, as previously pointed out it doesn't matter because image area is of an artboard is only 10x15". I'd also like to point out that full bleed artwork can be scanned as well because full bleed art is still contained within a live area of roughly 10.375x15.875"

So full bleed or not, you can still scan either with both scanners.

The print output on the Brother is great too. My motivation was to replace my Mustek, Smaller Epson Scanner, and Epson Printer with one new unit. The Brother prints quieter, and faster than the Epson Photo 1280 ever did.

In the end, the Brother is great, you simply cannot go wrong for the price either. I can scan art, color it, then generate beautiful 11x17 prints that I can sell through my site or at cons etc...