PDA

View Full Version : The Black Mask (Spoilers within)

CHWolf
03-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Alright. I've been out of the comic book loop for years... as in, I haven't purchased a comic book in that time.

Just not enough comic shops here - one sucks, the other is out of the way, etc.

Anywho - the first comic I bought after all that time was "Arkham Reborn" #1. Following that, issue two.

And now the spoilers...

Am I the only one who saw the "Black Mask is Jerimiah Arkham" twist coming from a mile away?

This is with no previous knowledge of the storyline. Eventually I broke down, on a lark I googled "Arkham is Black Mask", and there we go.

Though I haven't read issue #3, I did see online that several characters existed only in Arkham's mind.

For that bit, I can say I only anticipated that twist in relation to the... ugh... "Three Beauties", which I assumed represeted the Id, Ego, and Super Ego.

It's funny how we'll never be rid of the "omg it's his split personality" twist. We'll be watching that same story unfold on holodiscs some day... probably while our rocket cars automatically take us to the immortality center.

But yeah... on one site I read it was a twist "no one saw coming" and the like, so I figured I'd find out if I'm special, or if everyone who's read the whole Black Mask storyline knew the same thing I did.

So what of it?

HaphazardJoy
03-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Am I the only one who saw the "Black Mask is Jerimiah [sic] Arkham" twist coming from a mile away?

He was my first guess.

CHWolf
03-21-2010, 12:20 AM
High fives. :)

ronin7
03-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Well, it actually does make sense given the Arkham family's history of mental instability - not to mention how Jeremiah has been on the edge of insane for years. So, it was bound to happen.

WilliamStormeSmith
03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I must confess it never dawned on me, but now it makes total sense.

I enjoyed Jeremiah Arkham's decent into madness, plus the villains in issue one were all very interesting. Black Mask has always been an important Batman villain, and the death of the original seemed anti-climatic to me. At least the new Black Mask has an interesting origin and back-ground. It usually disappoints me when one villain turns out to be another villain, but not in this case. I think it is a very good job of story telling.