PDA

View Full Version : Ugh

Ian Ascher
03-17-2010, 07:12 AM
The Hulk books haven't just jumped the shark....

They've fallen into the tank and been torn to bloody chunks.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/hulked-out-heroes-marvel-100316.html

Deadpool Hulk...? Seriously....?

Fall of the Hulks could have been a really good story arc. The concept behind it was solid but the execution has been a total nightmare of a mess.

I blame the editors as much as the writers for this one.

HaphazardJoy
03-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Of course, they're going nuts with Deadpool, which is a shame since most writers can't write him well.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/10/26/marvel-unleashes-the-deadpool-corps/

Mark Bertolini
03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
The only redeeming quality I think this will have is Jeff Parker writing it.

Ian Ascher
03-18-2010, 01:17 PM
The concept is good.
The art is good.
The writing, on its own, isn't bad.

What makes this entire little "mini-event" in the Hulk universe such a mess is the direction of the story telling. Instead of trying to tell a singluar, straight forward story, chapter by chapter, issue by issue, they've decided to mish-mash it and jump back and forth and from book to book.

Take the Hulk and Incredible Hulk which both came out yesterday. It has a beginning, a middle, and an end to the story inside its pages but to find out what the Red Hulk is up to withing the context of that story you have to buy the Hulk book which starts off two weeks in the past and rushes to play catch up to the other book so they can end at the same point for the World War Hulks #1 one shot and the two issue Hulked Out Heroes book where multiple characters were... Hulked Out...

It's just an awkward and clunky way of doing it and it just bombed in my opinion.

PC812
03-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Of course, they're going nuts with Deadpool, which is a shame since most writers can't write him well.
Couldn't agree more. Deadpool is best in one series with a writer who gets comedy (Kelly, Simone, Nicieza). Having multiple books with Deadpool and all of them seem to be written by people who think they're hilarious but really aren't.

HaphazardJoy
03-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Couldn't agree more. Deadpool is best in one series with a writer who gets comedy (Kelly, Simone, Nicieza). Having multiple books with Deadpool and all of them seem to be written by people who think they're hilarious but really aren't.

Nicieza on Cable & Deadpool was the first time actually really liked the character.

Doctor Shock
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
This is what happened to Wolverine in the 90s and look at him now, that's one tired character.

Evan Henry
04-12-2010, 05:06 PM
What's up with this idea of a bunch of different versions of the same character interacting with each other page after boring page?

It started with the Clone Saga.

Then we had the Thor Corps.

Now Deadpool Corps.

War of the Hulks.

I'm waiting for the Wolverine Army, the Beast Brigade, the Power Men, and the Cable Crew.

HaphazardJoy
04-12-2010, 05:33 PM
This is what happened to Wolverine in the 90s and look at him now, that's one tired character.

Hey, if it means we have a couple of books of decent team appearances, several books that are just skippable period, and then one pretty good book (like Wolverine: Origins), maybe it's not so bad.

What's up with this idea of a bunch of different versions of the same character interacting with each other page after boring page?

It started with the Clone Saga.

Or Infinity War really.

RandallFlagg
04-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm waiting for...the Cable Crew.
I would read the hell out of that book!

HaphazardJoy
04-12-2010, 07:42 PM
I would read the hell out of that book!

Been done already, it's called X-Force hehehe.

RandallFlagg
04-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Been done already, it's called X-Force hehehe.
I thought we were talking about alternate Cables. You know, regular Cable, AoA Cable, Deadpool Cable, Red Cable, Blue Cable...

HaphazardJoy
04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I thought we were talking about alternate Cables. You know, regular Cable, AoA Cable, Deadpool Cable, Red Cable, Blue Cable...

But part of the point of AoA was that Cable was never born, besides, alternate versions of Cable would all be the same Cable in my mind hahaha. The team would never even talk, they'd just use military handspeak and grunt at eachother. Badassery would ensue, the end of issue one would end the entire arc. :har:

Biofungus
04-13-2010, 01:48 PM
No dialogue, only narration. It could work! And each version of Cable would have a different scar and different bionic appendage!

And each one gets progressively more pouches :p

HaphazardJoy
04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
And each one gets progressively more pouches :p

...And they each carry a larger-than-necessary gun. When the need calls for it, the guns all fit together into one giant gun which requires all of their strength to lift. When it fires, it still only seems to fire extraordinary rounds, but it's giant so it's badass.

Moonrider
04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
...And they each carry a larger-than-necessary gun. When the need calls for it, the guns all fit together into one giant gun which requires all of their strength to lift. When it fires, it still only seems to fire extraordinary rounds, but it's giant so it's badass.

Are you kidding me? Any Cable can lift any gun three times their size with one hand, a bazooka with the other, and carry enough firepower in his back to destroy an army. But for some reason, no one has ever seen their feet. They're always covered in smoke.