PDA

View Full Version : JMS to take over....

Ian Ascher
03-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Superman and Wonder Woman.

He'll be writing both books starting with Superman #701 and Wonder Woman #601. No word on who will be the art team for each book just yet.

Paul Sanderson
03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Pre-Spidey, I would have been thrilled with this move. Now I'm more than a little concerned...

Allegory Comics
03-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Wasn't there a memo circulated around the news sites during the whole Spidey/OMD story that showed how much JMS disagreed with the direction forced upon him by Marvel? That's where Quesada famously replied, "It's magic. It doesn't have to make sense," and that's what reportedly led to the breakdown in relationship between Marvel and JMS, and why he went to DC.

Given that information, plus I know JMS has talked about writing Superman for years and years and years so I know he genuinely loves the character, I think he'll do great and I'm looking forward to reading his books.

I just hope editorial steps out of the way and can learn how to let creative people do the job they've been hired to do.

Rob Norton
03-08-2010, 07:58 PM
i enjoyed most of his spidey run. i thought supreme power was amazing. Thor was incredible.

if he gets a good artist on superman, (like Gary Frank) i am on board. an aritist im not keen on.... probably not.

rob

Moonrider
03-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Geff Johns seem to be happy about JMS taking over. But I don't want another Gary Frank run on Superman. His style worked best in Johns/Donner run on Supes, but I want Superman to be fresh again.

Paul Sanderson
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Wasn't there a memo circulated around the news sites during the whole Spidey/OMD story that showed how much JMS disagreed with the direction forced upon him by Marvel? That's where Quesada famously replied, "It's magic. It doesn't have to make sense," and that's what reportedly led to the breakdown in relationship between Marvel and JMS, and why he went to DC.

Given that information, plus I know JMS has talked about writing Superman for years and years and years so I know he genuinely loves the character, I think he'll do great and I'm looking forward to reading his books.

I just hope editorial steps out of the way and can learn how to let creative people do the job they've been hired to do.

JMS was unhappy with how his run ended on Spidey, but I was unhappy with his entire run. His work on that title was uniformly poor. Yes, Joe Q. is largely to blame for how it ended, but I'm not thrilled with this move here at DC. Perhaps JMS will surprise. We shall see.

Eugene Selassie
03-08-2010, 11:59 PM

That's a two way street. JMS is going to have to learn how to play with others.
The individual characters at DC and Marvel do not exist in individual vacuums.
YES, editorial should allow the creators to...create, but NO one creator is above the company.
And leaving a trail of incomplete projects doesn't endear him to me.

ronin7
03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
The individual characters at DC and Marvel do not exist in individual vacuums.
YES, editorial should allow the creators to...create, but NO one creator is above the company.
And leaving a trail of incomplete projects doesn't endear him to me.

I don't think JMS' problem is playing with others. I think he's trying to achieve what the fans often champion for, and that's stories that don't get dragged into endless crossovers.

As for incomplete projects, JMS said on Newsrama that he was all set to finish the Twelve, but it seems uncertain what will be done with the story.

He will do a great job on Superman, and hopefully, maybe Superman will return to the top of the charts.

Eugene Selassie
03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't think JMS' problem is playing with others. I think he's trying to achieve what the fans often champion for, and that's stories that don't get dragged into endless crossovers.

As for incomplete projects, JMS said on Newsrama that he was all set to finish the Twelve, but it seems uncertain what will be done with the story.

He will do a great job on Superman, and hopefully, maybe Superman will return to the top of the charts.

I'm all for that, but I hope it doesn't contradict whatever the goings on in Action Comics will be.

To be honest, Superman needed it. I enjoyed everything up to an including the New Krypton crossover.

Once World of New Krypton got into gear, I noticed all of the issues with it...

1. Superman not being in his own book...There really didn't need to be a separate series for this. This should've been the main feature and the Mon-El/Flamebird & Nightwing/Guardian/Captain Atom stuff should've been either a limited series or backup features.

2. Geoff Johns leaving before the event he was leading toward (War of the Supermen) got underway. This is the same problem I had with him rebooting the Legion and then passing off the regular series to someone else and even then, it not getting any attention.
Could you imagine if Johns had left Green Lantern right before Sinestro War or Blackest Night? Would've been a disaster. All of this to re-tell Clark's origin....
AGAIN....

Hopefully JMS will bring some solid storytelling and much needed stability to this title.

chris stevens
03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
jms is very hit or miss for me. i think most of his spidey stuff was just terrible and i think he's done the only great thor since walt simonson. but i bet he can get wonder woman right.

Eugene Selassie
03-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Wonder Woman is a tough nut to crack. VERY few modern writers have been able to (exceptions of Simone, Rucka and Jimenez).

Diana is more than the mythological stuff. She is a fully realized human being that doesn't have a "Don Blake" human alter ego to fall back on. She IS Diana Prince and so many have not been able to flesh out that side of her. Many people I know state that is the only reason that they don't dig Wonder Woman...no relatable human alter ego.

I wish JMS the best of luck w that one.

I agree with him when it comes to Superman. It is RARE that the newsroom at the Daily Planet actually felt like a newsroom. It did at times during Johns' and Busiek's runs and also Joe Kelly's and Jeph Loeb's runs, but I'm eager to see JMS' take on it.

Allegory Comics
03-09-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't think it is.

I mean, certainly he can't be a prima dona about it and shouldn't let his ego get in the way. That's true of anything. But I'm always seeing talented creators join books and then they do nothing inspiring with them. It's as if they've been neutered by editors who already know what they want the story to be, and how to get there.

So the big name writer is relegated to a mere typist - punching out a script dictated to them to by editors with half as much talent.

When I look at the mess that Superman has been these past 18 months (or more), it makes me angry. I've been reading Superman every week for nearly 20 years, and I'm tired of seeing great creators come on and then do nothing. It makes me believe that DC is either scared to disrupt this fragile franchise for fear of breaking it, or else they genuinely don't know what to do with him.

In the latter case, all the more reason to take the cuffs off of talented creators and let their vision shine.

ronin7
03-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't think it is.

I mean, certainly he can't be a prima dona about it and shouldn't let his ego get in the way. That's true of anything. But I'm always seeing talented creators join books and then they do nothing inspiring with them. It's as if they've been neutered by editors who already know what they want the story to be, and how to get there.

So the big name writer is relegated to a mere typist - punching out a script dictated to them to by editors with half as much talent.

When I look at the mess that Superman has been these past 18 months (or more), it makes me angry. I've been reading Superman every week for nearly 20 years, and I'm tired of seeing great creators come on and then do nothing. It makes me believe that DC is either scared to disrupt this fragile franchise for fear of breaking it, or else they genuinely don't know what to do with him.

In the latter case, all the more reason to take the cuffs off of talented creators and let their vision shine.

Co-sign

Eugene Selassie
03-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't think it is.

That's what I meant by let the creator create...
I just don't want it where the characters he is writing either become off-limits to other writers or he doesn't want to acknowledge something in his book that is so big as far as the rest of the DCU is concerned that it obviously should be mentioned.

Moonrider
03-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I just don't want it where the characters he is writing either become off-limits to other writers or he doesn't want to acknowledge something in his book that is so big as far as the rest of the DCU is concerned that it obviously should be mentioned.

Grant Morrison seem to be doing relatively okay.

ronin7
03-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Grant Morrison has been ignoring the entire DC landscape with his Batman/Batman and Robin run. Why is it okay for him and not for JMS?

-Mick

Eugene Selassie
03-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Grant Morrison has been ignoring the entire DC landscape with his Batman/Batman and Robin run. Why is it okay for him and not for JMS?

-Mick

If Wally West were killed or something, and it isn't mentioned in Batman and Robin, you have a valid point.
Little stuff, like rehashing the Dick/Kori stuff, which I'm expecting they'll do for the umpteenth time in JLA, that dead horse doesn't need to be mentioned in B&R.

ronin7
03-10-2010, 05:28 PM
If Wally West were killed or something, and it isn't mentioned in Batman and Robin, you have a valid point.
Little stuff, like rehashing the Dick/Kori stuff, which I'm expecting they'll do for the umpteenth time in JLA, that dead horse doesn't need to be mentioned in B&R.

Morrison has been ignoring a plethora of stuff in the DC landscape, and yet you say, "It's cool." JMS wants that kind of freedom, and you want to blow him out of the sky. Don't you see the double standard?

In my view, JMS > Grant Morrison. JMS will actually get me and a lot of people to read a book. Morrison turns people off because he writes only for literature snobs, and wannabe literature snobs. His work is too incomprehensible, and not designed for entertainment.

Allegory Comics
03-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I find Grant Morrison very entertaining. Sure, his work can be heady sometimes. But that's his schtick.

Just like JMS's schtick is writing everything like he was on the set of a movie.

Eugene Selassie
03-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Morrison has been ignoring a plethora of stuff in the DC landscape, and yet you say, "It's cool." JMS wants that kind of freedom, and you want to blow him out of the sky. Don't you see the double standard?

In my view, JMS > Grant Morrison. JMS will actually get me and a lot of people to read a book. Morrison turns people off because he writes only for literature snobs, and wannabe literature snobs. His work is too incomprehensible, and not designed for entertainment.

Its not cool for it to be done, when a major event is involving a specific character and you decide to walk because you dont want the character you're writing to take part in the event. Two different scenarios.
If Grant pulled that crap, then he'd be just as culpable.

You are letting your hatred of Grant and his wacky ideas color your entire argument.

Moonrider
03-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Morrison turns people off because he writes only for literature snobs, and wannabe literature snobs. His work is too incomprehensible, and not designed for entertainment.

Uh, so you're calling me a snob/wannabe snob? Because I was highly entertained by a lot of his work.

Nah, I'm just messing with you. ;)

Thing is, no matter how the writer is, personally, what us readers only care about is the end product. You really can't blame people for loving Grant's work while they scorn JMS'. That's not the point that I'm conveying at all. While there may be many reasons why JMS' run on Spidey isn't that fondly remembered, there is currently no valid point to say that one's writing style of 'ignoring' everything that has happened in the rest of the characters' shared comic book universe is the worst possible way of writing a comic book story. Some writers failed and some writers thrived on that style of writing. But you can't exactly say that most writers failed nor most writers thrived on that. Because Grant Morrison has thrived on B & R and JLA while JMS relatively failed on Spidey, but Grant has relatively failed on Final Crisis while JMS has thrived (IMO) on Thor.

ronin7
03-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Uh, so you're calling me a snob/wannabe snob? Because I was highly entertained by a lot of his work.

Nah, I'm just messing with you. ;)

Thing is, no matter how the writer is, personally, what us readers only care about is the end product. You really can't blame people for loving Grant's work while they scorn JMS'. That's not the point that I'm conveying at all. While there may be many reasons why JMS' run on Spidey isn't that fondly remembered, there is currently no valid point to say that one's writing style of 'ignoring' everything that has happened in the rest of the characters' shared comic book universe is the worst possible way of writing a comic book story. Some writers failed and some writers thrived on that style of writing. But you can't exactly say that most writers failed nor most writers thrived on that. Because Grant Morrison has thrived on B & R and JLA while JMS relatively failed on Spidey, but Grant has relatively failed on Final Crisis while JMS has thrived (IMO) on Thor.

I realize everyone has their hits and misses, tastes even. I just think Eugene's low balling of JMS is unfair. Grant pulled a similar stunt with the Authority for example. He left because no one was praising his new take, and said f*ck it. Why isn't Eugene blasting him for it? I've not seen a peep out of him on the DC boards about it. And this was like a year ago, or so.

hellblazer72
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I realize everyone has their hits and misses, tastes even. I just think Eugene's low balling of JMS is unfair. Grant pulled a similar stunt with the Authority for example. He left because no one was praising his new take, and said f*ck it. Why isn't Eugene blasting him for it? I've not seen a peep out of him on the DC boards about it. And this was like a year ago, or so.

i don't think grant left the authority becuae no one was praising his take, after all 2 issues came out. i thought this thread was about jms not about bashing grant morrison because you don't get/like his work.

Allegory Comics
03-11-2010, 02:42 PM
i thought this thread was about jms not about bashing grant morrison
Well, Mr. Smarty-pants ... if you know some way to do one without the other, I'd sure like to hear it.

:sure:

Moonrider
03-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Ooh, he called you smarty-pants! :eek:

Well, I am sorry to bring up Grant Morrison on the subject. What I would like to hear, however, is what JMS is planning for Superman. I'm sure Wonder Woman will be good, considering that he did an interesting approach on Thor, which is also another mythologically based character. Is there any of his past work that may reflect or hinted what his thoughts are about Superman?

hellblazer72
03-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Well, Mr. Smarty-pants ... if you know some way to do one without the other, I'd sure like to hear it.

:sure:

well mister i don't think i like that attitude. :man: i just brought it up i was waiting for someone else to come up how not to bring morrison into the mix.

hellblazer72
03-12-2010, 01:15 AM
Ooh, he called you smarty-pants! :eek:

Well, I am sorry to bring up Grant Morrison on the subject. What I would like to hear, however, is what JMS is planning for Superman. I'm sure Wonder Woman will be good, considering that he did an interesting approach on Thor, which is also another mythologically based character. Is there any of his past work that may reflect or hinted what his thoughts are about Superman?

apology accepted :) i was actually mentioning the person that went on the morrison tirad earlier. i'm interested in who the artist will be on the 2 books before i decide to buy.

ronin7
03-12-2010, 08:21 AM
i don't think grant left the authority becuae no one was praising his take, after all 2 issues came out. i thought this thread was about jms not about bashing grant morrison because you don't get/like his work.

Actually, he did. He said he saw the response to the first two issues, and said, "F*ck it." Whereas JMS only left a project due to creative disagreement. But, I'm not going to continue this "tirade" as you put it.

Moonrider
03-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Uh... anybody wants a snowcone? It's lemon.

hellblazer72
03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Uh... anybody wants a snowcone? It's lemon.

i stay away from yellow snowcones. :)

Eugene Selassie
03-13-2010, 12:05 AM
i stay away from yellow snowcones. :)

Awww...I was about to offer you a chocolate pudding log... :fart: