PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite title or character not in publication

Eugene Selassie
03-03-2010, 04:41 PM
What DC character or team is your favorite that is currently going without a series?
In one or two sentences, explain why you think the book should be brought back...

Birds of Prey was my initial choice, but thank the heavens that Gail Simone will be helming the book again.

I'd have to say that the book I'd pick is Checkmate. This was high octane espionage at its best. The first volume was very good, but Rucka/Trautmann wove a great political thriller in their recent run that I feel no other book at DC fills.

Mark Bertolini
03-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Gotham Central, with the original crew: Brubaker and Rucka trading off issues, and Michael Lark on art chores.

I'd buy that book until the day I died.

Eugene Selassie
03-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Gotham Central, with the original crew: Brubaker and Rucka trading off issues, and Michael Lark on art chores.

An amazing run that was too short-lived. I loved GCPD.

madelf
03-13-2010, 10:02 PM
I'd like to see Beware the Creeper rebooted.

Yes, I've heard he's currently in the Outsiders. But I don't want the screwed up mess they've turned him into over the years (that's not the Creeper, it's just some character they're calling the Creeper). I don't want any Jekyll & Hyde schizophrenic with Jack living in fear of his dark side crap. I don't want any demon bonded with a human crap (I like demons as much as the next guy, but the character's name is Jack Ryder, not Jason Blood).

I'm talking about the old Creeper, the Creeper I haven't seen around since the 70s. I want the tough, smart-ass Jack Ryder, with his shit together, intentionally putting on the Creeper persona and pretending to be crazy, to better scare the bejeezus out of the bad guys. That's the Creeper I want to see again.

ponyrl
03-13-2010, 10:19 PM
the new gods

eiter done by john byrne or walter simonson.

RonaldMontgomery
03-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Atari Force.

Allegory Comics
03-14-2010, 03:43 AM
I'm gonna buck the trend and suggest a series that has never existed based on a well-known and important part of the DCU.

The character?

The Daily Planet.

With the popularity of reality based books, like Gotham Central, I have always wanted to write a book set in the DC Bureau of the Planet (because I wanted it in a real city, and out of Superman's backyard) following a small group of beat reporters covering all the events that are happening in their world. I mean, if zombies suddenly attacked the planet, or if Superman was exiled and earth was on the brink of war with his new homeworld, or if a billionaire industrialist was killed -- wouldn't that be news?

Maybe it's because I'm a journalist myself, but I think it would be interesting to explore real, non-super people in the DCU and how they see and report the world around them while fighting to keep print media alive.

Not only would it be interesting, I think it would be a fun way to promote events happening in other titles. If a reader hears something that's happening in Flash, maybe they'd go buy Flash and check it out. It's all about synergy.

I've always thought that would be a good idea, and it would work for either Marvel or DC. Just change "PLANET" to "BUGLE". But good luck getting anyone there to listen to me.

:cry:

Eugene Selassie
03-14-2010, 05:41 AM
I'm gonna buck the trend and suggest a series that has never existed based on a well-known and important part of the DCU.

The character?

The Daily Planet.

With the popularity of reality based books, like Gotham Central, I have always wanted to write a book set in the DC Bureau of the Planet (because I wanted it in a real city, and out of Superman's backyard) following a small group of beat reporters covering all the events that are happening in their world. I mean, if zombies suddenly attacked the planet, or if Superman was exiled and earth was on the brink of war with his new homeworld, or if a billionaire industrialist was killed -- wouldn't that be news?

Maybe it's because I'm a journalist myself, but I think it would be interesting to explore real, non-super people in the DCU and how they see and report the world around them while fighting to keep print media alive.

Not only would it be interesting, I think it would be a fun way to promote events happening in other titles. If a reader hears something that's happening in Flash, maybe they'd go buy Flash and check it out. It's all about synergy.

I've always thought that would be a good idea, and it would work for either Marvel or DC. Just change "PLANET" to "BUGLE". But good luck getting anyone there to listen to me.

You are fucking brilliant.

WHY ISN'T THIS BEING DONE??????????????????

RandallFlagg
03-14-2010, 06:01 AM
Impulse.

Granted, you could make it Kid Flash now that Wally's kid is Impulse. The interaction between Bart and Max was just perfect. Especially when Mark Waid was handling the characters.

Allegory Comics
03-14-2010, 08:39 AM
You are fucking brilliant.

WHY ISN'T THIS BEING DONE??????????????????
Now if I could only get an editor who wanted to hear my pitch.

Eugene Selassie
03-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Now if I could only get an editor who wanted to hear my pitch.

Which one do I have to hogtie and get you in a meeting room with? :har:

Moonrider
03-14-2010, 08:50 PM

The character?

The Daily Planet.

That's basically Marvel's 'Frontline' books, but they only use the title whenever there's a major crossover. And I think there was a mini series called The Daily Bugle way back in the end of the nineties.

Allegory Comics
03-14-2010, 10:49 PM
If anyone has ever done it, I've never read it. I couldn't find anything about the Bugle (there was THE PULSE and also MARVELS) ... but looking for FRONTLINE, all I found was a limited series Marvel did with 2 reporters embedded on opposite sides Civil War. From what I've found online, most of these books are similar to what I said, but much more narrowly-focused and not really touching on all the elements of real world journalism and the decline of print media. Like FRONTLINE was just an extention of Civil War, and The Pulse (and the previously published DEADLINE) was just about superheroes, and none of them were really about journalism -- other than the fact that they worked for a newspaper.

They were all more about the heroes around them, and not the people or the media struggling to be normal in a super world.

Even if there ever was a series like this, that hardly precludes there being another one now.

madelf
03-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Atari Force.That was a fun series, as I recall. I've got the entire run packed away - should dig it out and see if it holds up to the memories.

UniverseX259
03-15-2010, 01:58 AM

First book I thought of when I saw this thread :thumbs:

ronin7
03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
The REAL Justice League Of America, and not Didio's massacre fest.

Evan Henry
04-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Shazam!

-- NuffSaidBob

Evan Henry
04-12-2010, 05:02 PM

The character?

The Daily Planet.

I like the idea, but I'm afraid that DC would turn it into a title to whore out all the books that happen to be faltering at the moment. Like what they're doing to Adventure.

Paul Sanderson
04-12-2010, 07:18 PM
I like the idea, but I'm afraid that DC would turn it into a title to whore out all the books that happen to be faltering at the moment. Like what they're doing to Adventure.

DC has lost its soul. I hope it finds it once again.