PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite title that is not currently in publication

Eugene Selassie
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
What Marvel character or team is your favorite that is currently going without a series?
In one or two sentences, explain why you think the book should be brought back...

New Warriors: I feel that Fabian Nicieza had a great set up and Kevin Grievoux found a nice hook for them. They don't handle the big time stuff that the Avengers do, but definitely handle tasks that no solo Spider-Man or Daredevil could handle. Plus, they target a demographic that might be older than the Marvel Adventures/Runaways/Young Avengers audience, but younger than the Avengers/Ultimate U audience that might not eye something on the shelf.

L Jamal
03-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Shroud and the Night Shift
Shorud is the opposite of the thunderbolts. It's a good guy runnign with bad guys trying to make them do good without them catching on that's he's good.

Tigra
How can you go wrong with 1/2 naked jungle girl/cat woman? Tigra has been under used and abused for years. Get Greer back to controlling the transformation, get her back to being a detective and have her be the Scully of the Marvel universe.

Eugene Selassie
03-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Shroud and the Night Shift
Shorud is the opposite of the thunderbolts. It's a good guy runnign with bad guys trying to make them do good without them catching on that's he's good.

Tigra
How can you go wrong with 1/2 naked jungle girl/cat woman? Tigra has been under used and abused for years. Get Greer back to controlling the transformation, get her back to being a detective and have her be the Scully of the Marvel universe.

Agree on both points.

Tigra is a hard sell though, after she was chumped out New Warriors/Civil War style in New Avengers.
PLUS the readership is kind of on the jock of Spider Woman and Jessica Jones, so selling Greer with the detectice angle right now would be tough.

HaphazardJoy
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Captain Britain and MI13 :man:
Great characters, great opportunity to do something different and tell some non-goofy magic-related stories in the 616.

I still really really want a quality Sleepwalker comeback.

NYX. I'm glad it's not an ongoing, the quality would inevitably slide, but Joey Q's writing on NYX makes me want to overlook certain other decisions I don't care for.

Moonrider
03-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Nextwave.
Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave.
Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave.

Nextwave.

PC812
03-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I would say New Warriors, but I don't want to just copy Eugene so I'm going to go with Gambit. He's a fun character and if taken out of the mutant-centric world more often, he's got the potential to be the Simon Templar of the Marvel Universe.

ronin7
03-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Hrm this is tough. I would list Gambit, but he can't sustain a series. Not even if you aped the Saint television series. And if you did, it would be a mangling of Gambit's character since Gambit and the Saint are totally different characters.

However, taking a White Collar (the television show) type approach to Gambit might change the Rajin' Cajun's luck at a solo series if you can find the right hook to make the idea work.

dmh_3000
03-05-2010, 06:27 AM
I've always liked Blade, but that's probably because he was my first anti-hero when it comes to comics. I think if I ever achieved my dream of working for the big two, when I get the chance I might see if I can take a crack at a Blade series that will actually last longer than the current 12 issue record.

jeffers
03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Nextwave.
Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave.
Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave. Nextwave.

Nextwave.
What he said.

What did he say again?

PC812
03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Hrm this is tough. I would list Gambit, but he can't sustain a series. Not even if you aped the Saint television series. And if you did, it would be a mangling of Gambit's character since Gambit and the Saint are totally different characters.
A suave, charming thief who sometimes does questionable things but is ultimately a good guy?

Yeah, you're right, that's nothing like Gambit at all :blink:

Eugene Selassie
03-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I've always liked Blade, but that's probably because he was my first anti-hero when it comes to comics. I think if I ever achieved my dream of working for the big two, when I get the chance I might see if I can take a crack at a Blade series that will actually last longer than the current 12 issue record.

I don't understand why, with the success of three movies, that his comic can't sustain readers...

I think part of it is that nearly every comic series of his is a redo of the Wrightson 70s stuff and the movies are CLEARLY less horror, more sci-fi/action oriented.

Guggenheim's recent series was definitely better than most Blade books, but I don't know what could've been done differently...

Maybe his inclusion into the New Avengers? If we're going to give all Marvel characters with star power status on the top book, why not Blade? or the Human Torch? Or something...

I'd definitely read for Blade moreso than for Spider Woman or Luke Cage...

What could be done to make a lasting Blade series?

Mark Bertolini
03-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Nextwave, definitely.

Baring that, I'd like to see Alias back. As Alias, not the Pulse or whatever watered-down version it became. I want Bendis on it. I want Michael Gaydos on it. I want swear words and sex and violence.

(Although I understand there is a new Alias mini supposed to be coming out by Bendis and (I think) Alex Maleev....)

JamieRoberts
03-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Warheads.

A bunch of time and space-travelling mercenaries kept under the thumb of immortal villains? A talking gun and high mortality rate? Hell, yeah!

Eugene Selassie
03-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Warheads.

A bunch of time and space-travelling mercenaries kept under the thumb of immortal villains? A talking gun and high mortality rate? Hell, yeah!

Wow, I definitely missed that one. Who was the creative team?

JamieRoberts
03-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Wow, I definitely missed that one. Who was the creative team?
It was Marvel UK, so inevitably it had a merry-go-round of creators. I seem to remember Dan Abnett, Geoff Senior, Simon Coleby and Gary Erskine were involved at one time or another. The reliance on guest stars ruined it slightly. Two of the main characters were also in Dark Guard, which was an early Pacheco title.

PC812
03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't understand why, with the success of three movies, that his comic can't sustain readers...

I think part of it is that nearly every comic series of his is a redo of the Wrightson 70s stuff and the movies are CLEARLY less horror, more sci-fi/action oriented.

Guggenheim's recent series was definitely better than most Blade books, but I don't know what could've been done differently...

Maybe his inclusion into the New Avengers? If we're going to give all Marvel characters with star power status on the top book, why not Blade? or the Human Torch? Or something...

Film and comics are governed by completely different audiences. Film has a much more diverse audience, people with a broad spectrum of taste. But comics have an extremely narrow audience and it's dominated by people who prefer superhero stories. And even the superhero books that don't feature A-listers have trouble hanging on. So the chances of ever seeing a successful Blade, Shang-Chi, Fury, Dr. Strange, Hellstorm, etc series in the current market is a damn-near impossibility. Unless someone like Bendis or Millar wrote it but then it'd sink once they left anyway.

Eugene Selassie
03-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Film and comics are governed by completely different audiences. Film has a much more diverse audience, people with a broad spectrum of taste. But comics have an extremely narrow audience and it's dominated by people who prefer superhero stories. And even the superhero books that don't feature A-listers have trouble hanging on. So the chances of ever seeing a successful Blade, Shang-Chi, Fury, Dr. Strange, Hellstorm, etc series in the current market is a damn-near impossibility. Unless someone like Bendis or Millar wrote it but then it'd sink once they left anyway.

Very true.

I still think Blade should be included in the New Avengers. A mystic/supernatural character that has face recognition and three movies should make it on Earth's Mightiest Heroes if you employ the same logic that the creators and editorial have since Disassembled.

dmh_3000
03-06-2010, 09:51 PM

Maybe we should petition Marvel to give Blade another chance, and then tell everyone on the internet to buy it.

I've said this on the Bendis Boards, but my idea was to do a MAX series starring Blade. That way, it doesn't have to be delicate, it can be real horror, with frightening violence and grotesque monsters that will haunt your nightmares. But at the same time, show that Blade isn't just some anti-hero with a bad attitude who loves what he does, show that he is his own person. Also, to help get it off the ground, instead of writing for the trade I was going to have stand alone issues with occasional two-parters, so that new readers can always come in at any point and enjoy it.

Yeah, I've thought about this a fair bit. When I do get to Marvel in maybe twenty years, I should have years of stories ready for them. Or maybe I should just give up my dream and write my own vampire book.

ponyrl
03-06-2010, 11:13 PM
The silver surfer.

Though I would't want him t0 have a series bcause EVERY writer to lay hands on him have screwed him up.

sevans
03-07-2010, 06:47 AM
I used to love Alien Legion.

That's not currently available.... is it?

Eugene Selassie
03-08-2010, 11:53 AM
The silver surfer.

Though I would't want him t0 have a series bcause EVERY writer to lay hands on him have screwed him up.

Jim Starlin and Ron Marz?
Really?

JSettnek
03-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Alien Legion was awesome wasn't it? They should bring that back.

MARK A ROBINSON
03-13-2010, 02:39 AM

Amen.

But i got a some...

ElfQuest.
Dreadstar.
Rom.
Alpha Flight ( Byrne)
D.P.7

Peace,

M.

RonaldMontgomery
03-13-2010, 09:45 AM
The original Squadron Supreme. Pick up where the graphic novel ended. Base it on the notes Gruenwald left for the next series.

ponyrl
03-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Jim Starlin and Ron Marz?
Really?
Let me specify.

EVERY writer of the last 10 years.

Eugene Selassie
03-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Let me specify.

EVERY writer of the last 10 years.

I think Giffen and DnA handled him well in their stories.

But I see what you mean...before Annihilation/Conquest/War of Kings, it was obvious that early first 5 years of this decade, they didn't know WHAT to do with their cosmic/supernatural characters.

ponyrl
03-13-2010, 10:21 PM
I think Giffen and DnA handled him well in their stories.

But I see what you mean...before Annihilation/Conquest/War of Kings, it was obvious that early first 5 years of this decade, they didn't know WHAT to do with their cosmic/supernatural characters.
remember when he was on earth again after some gifted child-type alien crap!

god how I wept. :( :cry:

but even giffen (and I like giffen) stuck him back with galactus. :yuk:

Evan Henry
04-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Spider-Man

As in, the real Spider-Man. Not this Man-Spider impostor that is running around with poison stingers.

HaphazardJoy
04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Not this Man-Spider impostor that is running around with poison stingers.

Wait, what?

Evan Henry
04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man%27s_powers_and_equipment#Eyes.2C_teeth.2C_and_ stingers

I know it's no longer current and I should have phrased the post better, but I see it as a pretty good example of what Marvel has done to their characters.

HaphazardJoy
04-12-2010, 06:04 PM
THAT'S the worst thing you can think of that they've done with Spider-man in the past several years?

Evan Henry
04-12-2010, 06:10 PM
The worst that I know of. I picked up one issue about four years ago during Civil War and never looked back.

HaphazardJoy
04-12-2010, 06:14 PM
::whispers:: shhhhhh, shhhhhhh, no one tell him about OMD!

ronin7
04-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Please, my stomach turns hearing about One More Day. Brand New Day is even worse. He went from Spider-Man to Spider-Loser.

Deadfan
04-14-2010, 09:35 PM
too many to mention for me