PDA

View Full Version : 90s comics that you remember fondly...

Eugene Selassie
02-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Just taking a trip down memory lane. I have to argue that not ALL comics were bad during that era. I did this in the Marvel thread, now time for DC books.

Waid/Augustyn Flash: This was as definitive as it gets. My only issue with it is every time Waid writes the Flash, he conveniently writes the Rogues out of the book.

The Ray: One of the coolest costume designs and the covers by Quesada were amazing.

Young Heroes In Love: I DARE someone to say this book wasn't funny. Had me in stitches.

Resurrection Man: One of the most innovative comics of that period.

JLA: Morrison on the big 7. No brainer. I do have to say that wasn't a fan of Porter's art at the time. It wasn't "widescreen" enough for the big Morrison ideas.

Power of Shazam!: Some of the best stuff Ordway has ever produced...

Starman: I don't think James Robinson has recaptured the lightning in a bottle since this/Leave it to Chance/Cable. He created magic on those books.

Robin/Nightwing: Chuck Dixon just GETS Tim Drake and Dick Grayson.

Kingdom Come: I thought this story has aged very well over time. Great art, exceptional character beats.

Doom Patrol: YES, it was the beginning of the 90s. I have no qualms with jumping on the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol bandwagon.

Feel free to add.

Allegory Comics
02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
The Death of Superman - this was the event that made me a regular reader and forged my allegience to the Man of Steel.

Knightfall - I still love those old Kelly Jones covers. Awesome!

I don't remember the name of the story, but when Hal went nutshit and became Parallax. That's what made me a GL fan, and for a while I was all about Kyle. But overtime I realized how much better Hal is.

The Spidey-clone saga - sure, it was bad, but the idea actually wasn't. That Spider-Man was replaced by his own clone all the way back in Amaz. 149? Brilliant! Just very poorly executed. Also, my brother was big into Spider-Man, and after his chemo treatments ended I had a certain well known Spider-Man artist call him and congratulate him on getting better. And the artist actually leaked to us that Peter was actually the clone months before it hit the shelf. It was cool for me.

Age of Apocalypse - another one that was so bad it was good. I just remember the art of Joe Mad and those foil chromo covers. 90s-tastic!

Kingdom Come - if anything good came out of the 90s, it was this. This will always be in my top 5 stories of ALL TIME. Beautiful!

Heroes Reborn - Some of them were really bad, but it was fun experiment for me as a reader. I enjoyed Fantastic Four and Iron Man. But Hulk and Cap ... not so much.

The creation of Image Comics - we all remember Spawn, Maxx, Pitt, Gen 13, Witchblade, Youngblood ... Image was the place to be in the 90s.

Sure, we look back on the 90s and see all the bad art, gimmicks, and the comic bubble growing and bursting again ... but it takes me back to a time when I was just a kid, and I didn't care that it was a gimmick. It was cool, and I wanted one. They were more innocent times.

Eugene Selassie
02-15-2010, 02:03 PM
The Death of Superman - this was the event that made me a regular reader and forged my allegience to the Man of Steel.

Knightfall - I still love those old Kelly Jones covers. Awesome!

I don't remember the name of the story, but when Hal went nutshit and became Parallax. That's what made me a GL fan, and for a while I was all about Kyle. But overtime I realized how much better Hal is.

The Spidey-clone saga - sure, it was bad, but the idea actually wasn't. That Spider-Man was replaced by his own clone all the way back in Amaz. 149? Brilliant! Just very poorly executed. Also, my brother was big into Spider-Man, and after his chemo treatments ended I had a certain well known Spider-Man artist call him and congratulate him on getting better. And the artist actually leaked to us that Peter was actually the clone months before it hit the shelf. It was cool for me.

Age of Apocalypse - another one that was so bad it was good. I just remember the art of Joe Mad and those foil chromo covers. 90s-tastic!

Kingdom Come - if anything good came out of the 90s, it was this. This will always be in my top 5 stories of ALL TIME. Beautiful!

Heroes Reborn - Some of them were really bad, but it was fun experiment for me as a reader. I enjoyed Fantastic Four and Iron Man. But Hulk and Cap ... not so much.

The creation of Image Comics - we all remember Spawn, Maxx, Pitt, Gen 13, Witchblade, Youngblood ... Image was the place to be in the 90s.

Sure, we look back on the 90s and see all the bad art, gimmicks, and the comic bubble growing and bursting again ... but it takes me back to a time when I was just a kid, and I didn't care that it was a gimmick. It was cool, and I wanted one. They were more innocent times.

Its funny, because the ones you named...even as a kid, I knew that they were cheap gimmicks that would shortly be undone.

I remember reading Death of Superman and thinking how unstrategically the League fought Doomsday, how the writers downplayed the other heroes in that and how conveniently characters like Diana Prince and Wally West were left out of the fight. They DEFINITELY would've made the fight different.

And I think I need to add two more to my list.

Abnett & Lanning's Legion of Super Heroes: I think they not only lived up to Shooter/Levitz/Giffen's stuff, but nearly surpassed it.

Wonder Woman: Phil Jimenez' short lived but amazing run.

RandallFlagg
02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Morrison's run on JLA was awesome.

I also loved Green Lantern. I think it was around issue 100 when there was the time travel story involving Kyle going back to the past, and then Hal coming forward with him. It was really awesome. I was just a kid and I was freaking out. It was TWO Green Lanterns!

What I was able to read of Young Justice and Impulse was also really cool.

Eugene Selassie
02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Morrison's run on JLA was awesome.

I also loved Green Lantern. I think it was around issue 100 when there was the time travel story involving Kyle going back to the past, and then Hal coming forward with him. It was really awesome. I was just a kid and I was freaking out. It was TWO Green Lanterns!

What I was able to read of Young Justice and Impulse was also really cool.

I know I've given Kyle Rayner alot of crap. The character was written very well. I just don't like how Hal was taken off the board.

I have NO problem with moving forward, legacy characters, etc... Wally West, Genis-Vell, Bucky Barnes and Cassie Sandsmark are some of my favorite characters.

Kyle is from what I call "The Rapid Peter Parkerization of the mid 1990s."
When instead of finding a great creative team and letting them tell kick ass stories with a character, editors basically said "Let's do a cheap gimmick event and replace em with a Peter Parker-like character."

I can go down the list of books where they pulled that crap.

Green Lantern
The Atom (Titans)
Guardian (Alpha Flight)
Green Arrow (Although he was handled well)
Teen Tony Stark (Iron Man)
Ben Reilly (Spider Man. At the time, the solution to getting rid of a married hero with baggage).
X-O Manowar vol 2
etc...

The difference between that wave of characters, and lets say, the current wave...
(Jaime Reyes, Renee Montoya, Jason Rusch, Kate Spencer, Ryan Choi, Bucky Barnes, Marvel Boy, Triathlon/3-D man, etc...)
is that these characters don't all try to emulate some facet of Spider-Man's personality. Each brings something unique to the table.

RandallFlagg
02-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I was 10 or 11 at the time when I was reading Green Lantern. I loved it. I had been reading comics since I was old enough to read, and I was a big fan of Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. I remember Zero Hour and hating what they did to Green Lantern. Granted, I was about 7 or 8 and my dad had to explain who certain people were, but still. I loved Hal Jordan and then started liking Kyle once I read the regular series.

Buckyrig
02-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Starman and Sandman Mystery Theatre

Eugene Selassie
02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
No other takers?

ronin7
02-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Waid/Augustyn Flash: The definitive Flash run, which helped Wally out grow his role as sidekick and become the Flash.

The Death Of Superman: A penultimate story, which showed the humanity of Superman, and that even the greatest of heroes can die.

Knightfall: A story that introduced a key breaking point for Batman, and showed that his own obsession could be used against him.

Kingdom Come: A tale that takes the DKR approach, and applies it to the wider DCU. One of Waid's few good stories.

Joe Kelly's JLA: He showed that the JLA didn't have to be a big 7 roster, or ape Gardner Fox stories to be entertaining.

Chuck Dixon's Nightwing and Robin seminal runs: He defined the two characters during the 90's.

Jamir with an E
02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Though I should never admit this in public I'm that ONE GUY you heard of that actually enjoyed Armageddon 2001 and the subsequent crossovers (yes, even with the switcheroo pulled with Monarch's identity). Also really dug the Justice Society book that Mike Parombeck (sp?) was on and though it came out before hand that was around the time I started reading Hellblazer as well. I'm sure there are a ton of others I'm forgetting that I'll remember later (some favorites were already posted by others). Nice topic. :)

RandallFlagg
02-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Though I should never admit this in public I'm that ONE GUY you heard of that actually enjoyed Armageddon 2001 and the subsequent crossovers (yes, even with the switcheroo pulled with Monarch's identity). Also really dug the Justice Society book that Mike Parombeck (sp?) was on and though it came out before hand that was around the time I started reading Hellblazer as well. I'm sure there are a ton of others I'm forgetting that I'll remember later (some favorites were already posted by others). Nice topic. :)
Dude, I loved Armageddon 2001! Granted, I didn't read it until the mid to late 90s, as I was like 4 when it came out, but I really enjoyed. I especially like the Alien Agenda sequel, with Monarch and Captain Atom time hopping. I forgot all about that.

chris stevens
02-17-2010, 10:10 PM
sandman
from hell
astro city
league of extraordinary gentlemen
thb
kabuki
bone
inhumans

and many, many more...

Ian Ascher
02-20-2010, 09:20 AM
The original Birds of Prey by Dixon and Gary Franks.

Preacher by Ennis and Dillon. Violence and excess and its greatest but damn it, it had a compelling story with good characters on top of it.

Hellblazer in the 90's was a great book too. Its had its ups and down sover the years but the Ennis/Dillon issues will always be favs.

Moonrider
02-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Hellblazer in the 90's was a great book too. Its had its ups and down sover the years but the Ennis/Dillon issues will always be favs.

My first exposure to Hellblazer was when he guest starred in one of the early issues of Sandman. I loved the concept, his look, everything.

I think Todd Dezago/Mike Wieringo's run on Sensational Spider-man was also great. I laugh out loud everytime I think of "Chicken Cow". :laugh:

ronin7
02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I'll also add from my current collection the trades:

Batman: The Cult by Jim Starlin

Batman: Venom

Batman: A Death In The Family

Batman: Shaman

All three of which were published in the late 80's, but close enough to count. And reprinted in trade up until the 00's.

xombey
02-23-2010, 03:06 PM
sandman mystery theater
shade the changing man
static
the maxx
astro city
eightball
usagi yojimbo
poe
jthm
optic nerve
sin city
martha washington
hellboy
mad man
hilly rose space

a lot that don't come to mind that i really looked fwd to, but

i know a lot of people hate on the '90's for the terrible deaths of gimmicks and foil multiple covers. but i'll remember a lot of cool independent comics

Mcd91
02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi,

The nineties introduced me to the world of super heroes. Previous to that I was mostly into all the European work.

So I have fond memories of Image Comics. A new universe, easily accessible for a newcomer.
Loved most of the Wildstorm stuff, Maxx, Spawn, PITT, Savage Dragon...

Next came the Marvel and DC stuff.

AoA was extreme ( pun intended ). X-Men in general, Joe Mad, Andy Kubert, Carlos Pacheco, inked by Thibert were great.

This thread made me go down in the basement and get out all the old comics. Currrently re-reading Kazar, AoA, Onslaught... well all the stuff.

Best

Rob

Eugene Selassie
02-24-2010, 01:18 AM
This thread made me go down in the basement and get out all the old comics. Currrently re-reading Kazar, AoA, Onslaught... well all the stuff.

Best

Rob

BRO, KA-ZAR WAS AMAZING...

Mark Waid is the KING of making me care about characters I couldn't give two craps about.

Eugene Selassie
02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
I'd also have to add Young Justice...some very fun stories during this run.