PDA

View Full Version : 90s comics that you remember fondly...

Eugene Selassie
02-09-2010, 02:33 PM
These are just a few that I remember from Marvel. If I've left any out, please add...

WAID/GARNEY CAPTAIN AMERICA: I believe this is tied with Brubaker's run as DEFINITIVE modern Cap. It was honestly not as good once they came back together after Heroes Reborn, but from what I've been hearing, it was due to serious editorial interference moreso than anything.

BUSIEK/CHEN IRON MAN: Honestly, my favorite run on this book. I think THIS is how a soft reboot is supposed to be done. Modernized villains that were true to their core, the supporting cast hasn't been handled as well since and Chen's rendition of the Alex Ross armor was THE BEST armor that Stark has had...THERE, I said it.

JURGENS/ROMITA JR THOR: Art...EPIC! Action and adventure...EPIC! Situations with the new alter ego of Jake Olsen and the new supporting cast added a great new layer to the mythos while moving the Asgardian stuff forward (Warriors three living on Earth, Odin dying, warnings of out of control Thor in the future during The Reigning which was prophesized way back in the Simonson run). AND STUFF ACTUALLY HAPPENED IN THE BOOK.

BUSIEK/PEREZ AVENGERS: Say what you want about 2nd and 3rd stringers, Busiek made these guys feel like the elite, the best of the best, the round table knights of the Marvel U. And the ones who FIGHT THE FOES NO SINGLE HERO COULD WITHSTAND! I think even D-Man could take on ninjas by himself. Ultron Unlimited is THE BEST Ultron story to date and I honestly wish they hadn't brought him back in the opening arc of Mighty Avengers or in Annihilation Conquest.

LOEB/PACHECO FANTASTIC FOUR: This was cut off in its prime before it had the chance to take off and I am STILL pissed about it. I would love to have seen what they could've done with a strong five year run. Between the Gideon Trust seizing all of their assets, the revamped Diablo who was actually impressive, the teleporters/costume change buttons, etc that shouldve been in this book A LONG time ago. I can't believe how much I'm praising Loeb.

OSTRANDER/FERRY HEROES FOR HIRE: This book took a bunch of leftover heroes post Onslaught, made a great hook and reason for being. Danny and Luke's respective secrets nearly destroying not only their friendship, but the super hero community at large. NO writer handles Dane Whitman better with the SOLE exception of Paul Cornell's recent work.

BUSIEK/BAGLEY THUNDERBOLTS: BEST NEW CONCEPT OF THE ENTIRE DECADE AND BEST FINAL PAGE OF A FIRST ISSUE EVER CRAFTED. In a sea of X and Spider everything during that period, this was refreshing, well crafted and I have yet to read a better opening 12 issues of a comic.

WAID/KUBERT KA-ZAR: THE DEFINITION of a strong creative team and hook making people care about a concept that was thought long dead. The relationships between Kevin Plunder and his wife Shanna, Parnival Plunder, etc made this book shine. The moment when Kevin found out that Shanna named their son after an old boyfriend of hers was worth double the price of admission when we found out it was Matt Murdock.

SEAGLE/CLARK ALPHA FLIGHT: I might be in the minority, but this was my favorite run of the book. The humor was kept to a minimum, the look was gritty and the second-person narration gave it a very X-files type feel. The team's biggest threat wasn't their villains, but their Dept H superiors. Does anyone know what happened to Hull House, the orphanage that Dept H plucked young super powered recruits from?

NEW WARRIORS vol 1: This epic six year run still reads great today. I'll never understand why these guys don't get the same respect as the Teen Titans do. Oh...that pesky Civil War thingy could have something to do with it. LOL.

JOE CASEY/JOSE LADRONN CABLE: Though Robinson co-wrote the opening storyarc, Casey really made this book his own, trimming away alot of the fat (convoluted X-continuity) and making him a great character on his own who interacted well with SHIELD, even the Avengers. THE ONLY TIME I'VE GIVEN A CRAP ABOUT THIS CHARACTER IN HIS ENTIRE HISTORY.

SEAGLE/KELLY/PACHECO X-MEN: Since Claremont's initial run ended, there have only been three times I gave a crap about the X-men. Grant Morrison's run, Joss Whedon's and this one. Little nuances like the mansion being stripped clean and the team having to do makeshift surgery to remove a bomb from Cyclops or Juggernaut making a legal claim to the Xavier estate to these writers making me give a crap about Maggott, Marrow and Cecilia Reyes.

JIM STARLIN/GEORGE PEREZ INFINITY GAUNTLET: THIS is event storytelling at its best (before the bad sequels ruined things). Thanos has never been better and the heroes not only had bad ass action sequences, but small moments like Peter being plucked away before saying anything to MJ, to Wolverine and the Hulk bonding, to Captain America being the last man standing against Thanos and claiming "As long as one man stands against you, you'll never claim victory", this story had it all.

JamieRoberts
02-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I wasn't quite as widely read, but I agree with your statements regarding Waid/Garney Cap, Busiek/Chen Iron Man, Thunderbolts (at university I was a rabid fan) and the X-Men runs you mentioned.

X-Men #70 is still one of my all-time favourites. It was a great way to set up the new status quo. I even liked the new characters at that point.

I'd add Joe Kelly's run on Deadpool. Far more grounded and genuinely comedic than anything since. His one-liners had me rolling.

I was also a big fan of Wolverine around the time they removed his adamantium. For the first time, he had a new set of problems other than his attitude and lack of memories. Plus, y'know, Adam Kubert.

Spider-Man 2099. The first year. Afterwards, I drifted away as it became harder to track down where I lived. Peter David knows how to set up a world. Leonardi, I've never seen better work from him. Those initial issues were stunning. It was serialised in a Marvel UK reprint magazine, where it easily outshone the other Spidey stories it shared two staples with.

X-Force - Loeb/Pollina period. I'd been away from comics for about two years and the issue where Deadpool and Siryn break into the mental asylum was my first purchase after this break. I wondered what the hell had happened. Last thing I knew, everything looked Jim Lee-esque. I was hooked.

Eugene Selassie
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Holy crap, I forgot about Kelly's Deadpool.

I LOVED those stories...got close to breaking the fourth wall, but never quite...

Now, the humor is so cartoony that I've lost all interest.

And FINALLY, someone else on Earth besides me is a fan of the Busiek/Chen Iron Man run. That thing could've been EPIC if they stayed on the book 2 or 3 more years.

JamieRoberts
02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Same here. When Kelly wrote Deadpool in that one issue of ASM recently, it felt like he'd never been away. The lack of multiple voices in Wade's head told me all I needed to know about Kelly's view on recent Deadpool comics...

Paul Sanderson
02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
These are just a few that I remember from Marvel. If I've left any out, please add...

WAID/GARNEY CAPTAIN AMERICA: I believe this is tied with Brubaker's run as DEFINITIVE modern Cap. It was honestly not as good once they came back together after Heroes Reborn, but from what I've been hearing, it was due to serious editorial interference moreso than anything.

BUSIEK/CHEN IRON MAN: Honestly, my favorite run on this book. I think THIS is how a soft reboot is supposed to be done. Modernized villains that were true to their core, the supporting cast hasn't been handled as well since and Chen's rendition of the Alex Ross armor was THE BEST armor that Stark has had...THERE, I said it.

JURGENS/ROMITA JR THOR: Art...EPIC! Action and adventure...EPIC! Situations with the new alter ego of Jake Olsen and the new supporting cast added a great new layer to the mythos while moving the Asgardian stuff forward (Warriors three living on Earth, Odin dying, warnings of out of control Thor in the future during The Reigning which was prophesized way back in the Simonson run). AND STUFF ACTUALLY HAPPENED IN THE BOOK.

BUSIEK/PEREZ AVENGERS: Say what you want about 2nd and 3rd stringers, Busiek made these guys feel like the elite, the best of the best, the round table knights of the Marvel U. And the ones who FIGHT THE FOES NO SINGLE HERO COULD WITHSTAND! I think even D-Man could take on ninjas by himself. Ultron Unlimited is THE BEST Ultron story to date and I honestly wish they hadn't brought him back in the opening arc of Mighty Avengers or in Annihilation Conquest.

LOEB/PACHECO FANTASTIC FOUR: This was cut off in its prime before it had the chance to take off and I am STILL pissed about it. I would love to have seen what they could've done with a strong five year run. Between the Gideon Trust seizing all of their assets, the revamped Diablo who was actually impressive, the teleporters/costume change buttons, etc that shouldve been in this book A LONG time ago. I can't believe how much I'm praising Loeb.

OSTRANDER/FERRY HEROES FOR HIRE: This book took a bunch of leftover heroes post Onslaught, made a great hook and reason for being. Danny and Luke's respective secrets nearly destroying not only their friendship, but the super hero community at large. NO writer handles Dane Whitman better with the SOLE exception of Paul Cornell's recent work.

BUSIEK/BAGLEY THUNDERBOLTS: BEST NEW CONCEPT OF THE ENTIRE DECADE AND BEST FINAL PAGE OF A FIRST ISSUE EVER CRAFTED. In a sea of X and Spider everything during that period, this was refreshing, well crafted and I have yet to read a better opening 12 issues of a comic.

WAID/KUBERT KA-ZAR: THE DEFINITION of a strong creative team and hook making people care about a concept that was thought long dead. The relationships between Kevin Plunder and his wife Shanna, Parnival Plunder, etc made this book shine. The moment when Kevin found out that Shanna named their son after an old boyfriend of hers was worth double the price of admission when we found out it was Matt Murdock.

SEAGLE/CLARK ALPHA FLIGHT: I might be in the minority, but this was my favorite run of the book. The humor was kept to a minimum, the look was gritty and the second-person narration gave it a very X-files type feel. The team's biggest threat wasn't their villains, but their Dept H superiors. Does anyone know what happened to Hull House, the orphanage that Dept H plucked young super powered recruits from?

NEW WARRIORS vol 1: This epic six year run still reads great today. I'll never understand why these guys don't get the same respect as the Teen Titans do. Oh...that pesky Civil War thingy could have something to do with it. LOL.

JOE CASEY/JOSE LADRONN CABLE: Though Robinson co-wrote the opening storyarc, Casey really made this book his own, trimming away alot of the fat (convoluted X-continuity) and making him a great character on his own who interacted well with SHIELD, even the Avengers. THE ONLY TIME I'VE GIVEN A CRAP ABOUT THIS CHARACTER IN HIS ENTIRE HISTORY.

SEAGLE/KELLY/PACHECO X-MEN: Since Claremont's initial run ended, there have only been three times I gave a crap about the X-men. Grant Morrison's run, Joss Whedon's and this one. Little nuances like the mansion being stripped clean and the team having to do makeshift surgery to remove a bomb from Cyclops or Juggernaut making a legal claim to the Xavier estate to these writers making me give a crap about Maggott, Marrow and Cecilia Reyes.

JIM STARLIN/GEORGE PEREZ INFINITY GAUNTLET: THIS is event storytelling at its best (before the bad sequels ruined things). Thanos has never been better and the heroes not only had bad ass action sequences, but small moments like Peter being plucked away before saying anything to MJ, to Wolverine and the Hulk bonding, to Captain America being the last man standing against Thanos and claiming "As long as one man stands against you, you'll never claim victory", this story had it all.

I've bolded the choices where I agree with you. Those were some very fine books, most of which were cruelly cut off in their prime.

HaphazardJoy
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Early 90's was when I started reading comics for real, but after the local shop went under, I had no way of getting comic books as a carless teen. I love all of the X-men stuff back in those days, especially around the relaunch of (New/Adjectiveless) X-men and Age of Apocalypse.

Also loved The Maxx and WildCATS.

Eugene Selassie
02-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Early 90's was when I started reading comics for real, but after the local shop went under, I had no way of getting comic books as a carless teen. I love all of the X-men stuff back in those days, especially around the relaunch of (New/Adjectiveless) X-men and Age of Apocalypse.

Also loved The Maxx and WildCATS.

Wow. I need to make another thread for DC and one for Image.

To each their own though...around that period is where I loathed the writing of the X-books (exceptions being Claremont/Davis Excalibur and Peter David's X-Factor)

ronin7
02-10-2010, 02:58 PM
David Michelinie and Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man run: I just loved McFarlane's artwork, it was idiosyncratic and so unlike any other Spider-Man artist before.

Jim Lee and Brandon Choi's Fantastic Four run: I never read much Fantastic Four, but Jim Lee's artwork on Heroes Reborn FF really hooked me, and the stories were pretty good as well. At the time, to me their run felt dynamic, and being oblivious at the time to the Fantastic Four's history – I truly felt anything could happen to Marvel's First Family of adventurers.

Peter David and friends run on Incredible Hulk: While I read the Hulk off and on over the years during my youth, Peter David's stories always entertained me as he added a psychologicalic element to the Hulk's theme of misunderstood monster making him even more enticing than before. Having read the Lee run up to the Thomas stories now years late, and even the short John Byrne run. I can say Peter David really added another layer to the Hulk's personality and Bruce Banner's.

Bob Harras and Steve Epting's Avengers run: I was never a big fan of the Avengers – I'll admit that. I read an issue here and there, but when Bob Harras and Steve Epting took over – I found I had a few issues of their run. What I can remember fondly is Epting's noir inspired art and how it added the right mood to the increasingly dark stories that Harras wrote at the time. However, I never stuck with the book too long due to money issues, and I didn't care for the characters that much.

And if I can cheat like Eugene did by citing a book that came out in the 00's. I'll cite:

Bendis and Maleev's Daredevil run: I want to pre-phrase that I don't think Bendis' Daredevil run was as good as it could have been. I think it was rushed in some areas, and some ideas were too far out there. But, the way he and Maleev redefined the feel, tone, and look of the book for the current age is something that will always be an inspiration. Not only did it read like an actual noir comic, but it looked like one too. It also had drama, and Bendis introduced to the comic reading audience his personality driven dialogue. Something many writers are trying to imitate from his style, among other elements.

HaphazardJoy
02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
To each their own though...around that period is where I loathed the writing of the X-books (exceptions being Claremont/Davis Excalibur and Peter David's X-Factor)

At the time X-men #1 came out, I was nine. I didn't start loathing things and being snobby until I was eleven.

Eugene Selassie
02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
At the time X-men #1 came out, I was nine. I didn't start loathing things and being snobby until I was eleven.

Ok. Never mind.

I like all comics. There has never been a bad comic ever made.

There, are you happy?
:rolleyes:

Eugene Selassie
02-10-2010, 04:30 PM
And if I can cheat like Eugene did by citing a book that came out in the 00's. I'll cite:

Bendis and Maleev's Daredevil run: I want to pre-phrase that I don't think Bendis' Daredevil run was as good as it could have been. I think it was rushed in some areas, and some ideas were too far out there. But, the way he and Maleev redefined the feel, tone, and look of the book for the current age is something that will always be an inspiration. Not only did it read like an actual noir comic, but it looked like one too. It also had drama, and Bendis introduced to the comic reading audience his personality driven dialogue. Something many writers are trying to imitate from his style, among other elements.

1. I agree that Bendis Daredevil run is a game changer. It redefined crime noir in mainstream comics.

2. Cheat?

HaphazardJoy
02-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Ok. Never mind.

I like all comics. There has never been a bad comic ever made.

There, are you happy?
:rolleyes:

Nope.

So you're telling me that every book you read and adored as a child are works of earth-shaking importance and profound showcases of talent?

Sod off. :man:

Doctor Shock
02-10-2010, 04:45 PM
X-men Age of Apocalypse was a favorite of mine. I waited anxiously for each issue.

Buckyrig
02-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Why is this in the Marvel Forum instead of the general Comic Book Forum?

Doctor Shock
02-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Why is this in the Marvel Forum instead of the general Comic Book Forum?
Because it's solely about Marvel books despite the title.

Eugene Selassie
02-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Nope.

So you're telling me that every book you read and adored as a child are works of earth-shaking importance and profound showcases of talent?

Sod off. :man:

I have never told anyone to sod off, screw off, f- off, etc... when I didn't like what someone else liked as a kid. I'd say I hated/disliked it or whatever and move on.

You know what? I'm going to take the high road with you and your snide comments...

:)

Eugene Selassie
02-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

Peter David X-Factor. This thing was dramatic and comedic gold month in month out. My only wish is that he was the sole writer from vol 1 #71 until now.

Biofungus
02-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Brute Force, because I still can't believe Marvel made such a series, and I've got to be one of only like, 3 people on the entire planet who owns the entire run :laugh:

RandallFlagg
02-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll have to agree with whoever said Age of Apocalypse. Magneto was always a favorite of mine, and as a young kid when that came out, I loved seeing him as such a badass.

Also, I'm probably the only person on Earth who liked the Clone Saga. I was 7 -9 years old then, and it seemed awesome to me that there were two Spider-Men.

The Busiek/Perez Avengers run was the defining era of the Avengers for me. Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Vision. It was the team for me.

Eugene Selassie
02-10-2010, 06:32 PM
David Michelinie and Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man run: I just loved McFarlane's artwork, it was idiosyncratic and so unlike any other Spider-Man artist before.

Jim Lee and Brandon Choi's Fantastic Four run: I never read much Fantastic Four, but Jim Lee's artwork on Heroes Reborn FF really hooked me, and the stories were pretty good as well. At the time, to me their run felt dynamic, and being oblivious at the time to the Fantastic Four's history I truly felt anything could happen to Marvel's First Family of adventurers.

Peter David and friends run on Incredible Hulk: While I read the Hulk off and on over the years during my youth, Peter David's stories always entertained me as he added a psychologicalic element to the Hulk's theme of misunderstood monster making him even more enticing than before. Having read the Lee run up to the Thomas stories now years late, and even the short John Byrne run. I can say Peter David really added another layer to the Hulk's personality and Bruce Banner's.

Bob Harras and Steve Epting's Avengers run: I was never a big fan of the Avengers I'll admit that. I read an issue here and there, but when Bob Harras and Steve Epting took over I found I had a few issues of their run. What I can remember fondly is Epting's noir inspired art and how it added the right mood to the increasingly dark stories that Harras wrote at the time. However, I never stuck with the book too long due to money issues, and I didn't care for the characters that much.

And wow, you liked Harras' run? I need to buy you a beer for being able to finish it. Between him turning Crystal Maximoff into a floozie, and writing an inept Black Widow, I don't know man.
I DID like the character Proctor that he used...evil alternate Black Knight. Wish they used him again.

HaphazardJoy
02-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I have never told anyone to sod off, screw off, f- off, etc...

You should give it a swing some time, it's a blast! Being surly is one of my favourite hobbies.

JamieRoberts
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
And wow, you liked Harras' run? I need to buy you a beer for being able to finish it. Between him turning Crystal Maximoff into a floozie, and writing an inept Black Widow, I don't know man.
I DID like the character Proctor that he used...evil alternate Black Knight. Wish they used him again.
I've got one issue from that run, which I bought in a cheap grab-bag at a clearance event two years ago. It's maybe #375, all foil covers and unnecessary armour. I think Proctor was in that issue, but I remember very little about it.

Incidentally, I can't see that name without thinking of Police Academy. "PROC-TORRRRRR!"

Eugene Selassie
02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I've got one issue from that run, which I bought in a cheap grab-bag at a clearance event two years ago. It's maybe #375, all foil covers and unnecessary armour. I think Proctor was in that issue, but I remember very little about it.

Incidentally, I can't see that name without thinking of Police Academy. "PROC-TORRRRRR!"

Don't forget the AWFUL letterman jackets.

JamieRoberts
02-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Don't forget the AWFUL letterman jackets.
What are letterman jackets?!

Ohhhh, never mind. Are those the kinda brown leather jackets with short sleeves that every Marvel character wore between 1992 and 1995?

Eugene Selassie
02-11-2010, 02:30 AM
What are letterman jackets?!

Ohhhh, never mind. Are those the kinda brown leather jackets with short sleeves that every Marvel character wore between 1992 and 1995?

BINGO!
:bounce:

The Dag
02-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Brute Force, because I still can't believe Marvel made such a series, and I've got to be one of only like, 3 people on the entire planet who owns the entire run :laugh:

lol brute force was my first comic.

ronin7
02-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Mostly for the Epting art. As I said, I never read the whole run, I had issues of it though. What I read was serviceable, but I never cared enough for the characters involved.

Oh, and I don't drink alcohol.

ronin7
02-11-2010, 11:04 AM
1. I agree that Bendis Daredevil run is a game changer. It redefined crime noir in mainstream comics.

2. Cheat?

Loeb/Pacheco's FF run came out in the 00's. Your topic was about 90's comics you fondly remember.

ponyrl
02-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I remember no 90's fondly...because I'm rereading the better elements that came out then.

And further back. ;)

MartinEJohn
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Every Image title. Savage Dragon, Spawn, Wildcats, Youngblood. People complain about these titles being about the art, but they were groundbreaking.

They were so amazing as a young man. The art...the story...the hype...the violence...everything a young man wanted. As a teen I was blown away.

The 90s were Image all the way...and Sin City...and Strangers In Paradise...and Bone...and so much good stuff.

Just forget the Spidey clones.

Eugene Selassie
02-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Every Image title. Savage Dragon, Spawn, Wildcats, Youngblood. People complain about these titles being about the art, but they were groundbreaking.

They were so amazing as a young man. The art...the story...the hype...the violence...everything a young man wanted. As a teen I was blown away.

The 90s were Image all the way...and Sin City...and Strangers In Paradise...and Bone...and so much good stuff.

Just forget the Spidey clones.

Appreciate the add bro, but methinks I need to add one for Image and one for DC asap because many are cropping up here on the Marvel side of things.

Eugene Selassie
02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
ANOTHER add that slipped my mind...

Clan Destine: This was one of the best Alan Davis works that I've ever seen. I REALLY hope we can get another mini series soon.

JamieRoberts
02-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Ooooh, I forgot Digitek! I can't remember who wrote it (Andy Lanning, maybe) but I remember being blown away by Dermot Power's artwork. Always wondered why it wasn't continued. Hey, Kieron Gillen brought back Death's Head in S.W.O.R.D., maybe someone'll revive Digitek in another book one day...

Eugene Selassie
02-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Ooooh, I forgot Digitek! I can't remember who wrote it (Andy Lanning, maybe) but I remember being blown away by Dermot Power's artwork. Always wondered why it wasn't continued. Hey, Kieron Gillen brought back Death's Head in S.W.O.R.D., maybe someone'll revive Digitek in another book one day...

And hopefully in a book that lasts more than 12 issues.
:cry:

JamieRoberts
02-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Y'know, I wanted to like S.W.O.R.D. but I just couldn't get past the art. Even Cassaday's covers were below his usual standard. Not to mention my ambivalence towards whatsherface... what is her name? Green hair...

Honestly, I'm not being funny. Her character is that forgettable!

Eugene Selassie
02-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Y'know, I wanted to like S.W.O.R.D. but I just couldn't get past the art. Even Cassaday's covers were below his usual standard. Not to mention my ambivalence towards whatsherface... what is her name? Green hair...

Honestly, I'm not being funny. Her character is that forgettable!

Agent Brand to be fair hasn't really been handled that well since Joss Whedon.
She was still better in this than she was in Secret Invasion.

And I kind of agree about the art. Am NOT a fan of this version of Beast.

I don't want him going back to monkey man, but I don't want him looking THIS much like a feline.

Frank Quitely, John Cassaday and Jim Cheung hit it right on the nose.

MartinEJohn
02-15-2010, 07:51 PM
And Valiant Comics. X-o Manowar with Bart Sears and others...Turok Dinosaur Hunter, Archer and Armstrong, Bloodshot, Solar, Quantum and Woody, Shadowman, Geomancers, Harbinger, Hardcorps. These were all awesome titles in their own right.

Quantum and Woody was one fuckin' funny book. The stories were always solid and the art was pretty amazing. They got caught up a little bit in the nineties craze and spun out of control though.

But like the crossgen titles these are all good read to pick up in the dollar bin.

Eugene Selassie
02-15-2010, 08:04 PM
And Valiant Comics. X-o Manowar with Bart Sears and others...Turok Dinosaur Hunter, Archer and Armstrong, Bloodshot, Solar, Quantum and Woody, Shadowman, Geomancers, Harbinger, Hardcorps. These were all awesome titles in their own right.

Quantum and Woody was one fuckin' funny book. The stories were always solid and the art was pretty amazing. They got caught up a little bit in the nineties craze and spun out of control though.

But like the crossgen titles these are all good read to pick up in the dollar bin.

Don't get me started.
Valiant was some of my favorite comic stuff of all time...

OF ALL TIME!!!

:cool:

ponyrl
02-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Don't get me started.
Valiant was some of my favorite comic stuff of all time...

OF ALL TIME!!!

:cool:
www.valiantfans.com

;)

PC812
02-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Some real good choices there. Heroes For Hire, Seagle's Alpha Flight, Deadpool, Casey's Cable (even though it came out in 2000, I'd like to give an honorable mention to Weinberg's run), Busiek's Avengers and T-Bolts (only checked out some of his Iron Man but I liked what I read), Nicieza's New Warriors, David's X-Factor...all great stuff.

I'd also like to toss in Sleepwalker. A really cool, really underrated series. Also Ellis' Hellstorm and Excalibur runs were pure gold. I'd go as far as to say that Hellstorm may be the best thing he's ever written.

HaphazardJoy
02-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Ugh, why can't we have a Kirkman Sleepwalker already, don't remind me.

Eugene Selassie
02-17-2010, 11:56 AM
WOW...I dropped the ball...

Warren Ellis' Excalibur was a very decent run.

mikeexner3
02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Mostly for the Epting art. As I said, I never read the whole run, I had issues of it though. What I read was serviceable, but I never cared enough for the characters involved.

Oh, and I don't drink alcohol.

I'm going to have to go ahead and admit it. The Harras/Epting run of Avengers is one of my guilty pleasure books. The Avengers stories that took place immediately before the run were so godawful that it was nice to see a fixed team and direction in place for a while, even if they did resort to gimmicks more and more as they went along (X-Men crossover, killing, jackets, armor, etc.) Epting's art was brilliant, and the Proctor storyline was fun, despite the holes in the plot and characterization.

Another obviously gimmicky (dark anti-hero, Wolverine claw) title I really dug from the '90s... Darkhawk!

Ian Ascher
02-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Lots of good stuff here.... makes me want to go back through my long boxes and see what else I may still have from the 90's.

The Harris/Epting run of Avengers was pretty good. Its still a notch or two below Busiek/Perez but given what came before it (Mr Fantastic, Invisible Woman, The Captain and Gilgamesh...?) and what came after (The Wasp becoming a real wasp and Iron Man was Tony Stark... as a kid!) it holds up pretty well. I liked the whole Swordsman, Mantis, Black Knight, Collector storyline. Ive since sold those books and havent read them in years. Would love to go back and get them dirt cheap to see how they hold up now.

The Heroes Reborn relaunch of Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and the Avengers were all great and all still hold up.

For a short time Ghost Rider was really good. Mark Texiera's art was amazing and it was an intresting story line. Spirits of Vengence was good for a time too. Of course they all took a bad turn when Marvel made a huge push on all their supernatural characters. Morbius the Living Vampire was a guilty pleasure. So was Warren Ellis' run on Hellstorm.

Eugene Selassie
02-27-2010, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=Ian Ascher]

The Heroes Reborn relaunch of Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and the Avengers were all great and all still hold up.

[QUOTE]

I'd add Fantastic Four.

I know it was only three issues, but Scott Lobdell and Alan Davis NAILED everything that makes the FF great. I don't know why they were abruptly removed from the title.
:man:

ronin7
02-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Scott Lobdell and Chris Bachalo's Generation-X. I didn't read too many issues of the series, but what I did read made me enough of a fan to appreciate the Gen-Xers and Lobdell's writing.

I'd also add Larry Hama's Wolverine run, which I think is often overlooked for the latter runs by Rucka, etc. But, Hama in my opinion really took the ball and ran with it after Chris Claremont and the other writers left their marks on the canucklehead.

Eugene Selassie
02-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Scott Lobdell and Chris Bachalo's Generation-X. I didn't read too many issues of the series, but what I did read made me enough of a fan to appreciate the Gen-Xers and Lobdell's writing.

I'd also add Larry Hama's Wolverine run, which I think is often overlooked for the latter runs by Rucka, etc. But, Hama in my opinion really took the ball and ran with it after Chris Claremont and the other writers left their marks on the canucklehead.

Agree on both points.

I don't think Lobdell's X-men was that great, probably because editorial was screwing with his stories, but GenX showed what he was capable of without editorial interference. Great stuff.

And THANK YOU. Hama's Wolverine stuff was very underappreciated in this era of Rock Star writers.

ronin7
02-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Agree on both points.

I don't think Lobdell's X-men was that great, probably because editorial was screwing with his stories, but GenX showed what he was capable of without editorial interference. Great stuff.

And THANK YOU. Hama's Wolverine stuff was very underappreciated in this era of Rock Star writers.

We'll you and I are not total opposites in taste. Hama wrote one of the definitive runs on Wolverine for me. And Lobdell was a lot more talented than people took him for. He knew how to create characters that were unique, and so vastly different.

Eugene Selassie
03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Re-read the entire vol 1 New Warriors recently...MAN that was some good stuff. I think it could be Nicieza's best.

PC812
03-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Re-read the entire vol 1 New Warriors recently...MAN that was some good stuff. I think it could be Nicieza's best.
It's definitely up there. I'd also put Nicieza's Gambit run really high on my list, that was some great stuff.