PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Free wrt iPhone Apps

OZF5
02-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Just changed the price of the first episode of my OzF5 iphone app to free.

I plan on also putting the 2nd episode out for free so readers can get a thorough preview of the story before having to decide to buy anything.

Obviously, I think this is a good idea because I want to expose Ozf5 to as many people as possible. (Actually if it makes economic sense I wouldn't mind releasing the whole thing for free).

But what do YOU think about that business model for a comic book such as OzF5?

Check the first one out and let me know what you think. If you swipe down to the pencil layers of the artwork then you can get a pretty good idea of all of the additional work that went into adapting the original artwork for the iPhone sized screen.

Here's the link to the page on the tunes store:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=339077909&mt=8

or you can just go to http://www.ozf5.com and get there directly from a link on the front page.

Ramon

Jason Arthur
02-08-2010, 10:42 PM
I saw the thread title and thought the spambots were at it again. Might wanna make the thread title more clear.

Also, and I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk... but shouldn't this go in the Pimp it Here forum?

-- J

Deadfish07
02-09-2010, 08:05 AM
One of my ideas for putting my comic on the iPhone/Pad later this year is to give away single issues for free but charge for a complete volume.

My reasoning for this is that I hate having too many apps. I just recently reduced 8 pages of apps to 4 pages, by getting rid of a bunch of free garbage apps, games I beat and multiple issue comics. So personally, I'd rather have one app with a complete story than have four apps cluttering my iPhone.

Granted, I'm sure there are people out there that like flipping through 30 pages of apps, God bless them.

OZF5
02-09-2010, 08:57 AM
That's a good point Deadfish07--the clutter of free apps. I like the idea of single apps for free and charging for bundled volumes. I was thinking that I might do the first 2 "issues" for free and then just skip the next free individual issue releases and bundle the whole 5 issue volume for a small charge. But releasing all of the individual issues for free and a more convenient bundled volume for pay (especially if you have some added features gives more options and continues to build the fanbase/readership of those people that are still not ready to pay for the stories (but maybe will be in the future or will turn some friends onto the comic who may be willing to pay).

JasonArthur--sorry if the post appears too pimpy, if that is the general consensus then I can remove the links, or just put them in my signature--but they do relate directly to what I am asking about, making the post not just a hypothetical question, so I thought it appropriate.

Ramon