PDA

View Full Version : Ten favorite DC characters

Eugene Selassie
01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I did this exercise about 2 years ago and wanted to see how everyone listed theirs since the DCU landscape has changed.

1. Negative Man

2. Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

3. Black Canary (who might move back up since Gail Simone will be writing her correctly. Her handling since BoP ended has been appalling)

4. Deadshot

5. Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

6. The Question (Renee Montoya. If Vic Sage were still alive, he'd make the list as well)

7. Superman

8. Stargirl

9. Cyborg

10. Tie between Firestorm (Jason Rusch), GeoForce, Ragman and Amanda Waller (When she's written by Greg Rucka).

ronin7
01-25-2010, 06:26 PM
1. Superman

2. Batman

3. Flash (Wally West)

4. Nightwing (Richard John Grayson)

5. Arsenal (Roy Harper)

6. Green Lantern (Kyle Raynor)

7. Donna Troy

8. Robin (Tim Drake)

9. Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark)

10. Cyborg

All of these prior to the current direction.

Allegory Comics
01-25-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't know if I have 10 that I care that much about. I rate characters into 4 tiers.

TIER ONE: My favorites. I will always try to buy these books, as budget permits.
Superman (always comes first), Batman, Green Lantern (Hal only), Green Arrow and Flash.

TIER TWO: Not bad characters, but I only occasionally pick them up.
Wonder Woman, Robin, Nightwing, Captain Marvel, Supergirl, Power Girl ... I'm sure there are lots others.

TIER THREE: Characters I neither like nor dislike. They just exist in my periphreal and if I run into them, so be it. I could go either way.
Question, Aquaman, Most of the JSA, Deadshot, Geoforce, Doom Patrol, Black Canary, and others.

TIER FOUR: Characters I don't like at all and will not buy.
Plastic Man, Guy Gardner, Enlogated Man, Damien-Robin, Superboy-Prime, Mon-El (I used to like him, but they've ruined him), Flamebird/Nightwing, most of Giffen's Justice League (circa Bloodwynd, Fire and Ice) and most of Wolfman's Titans (but I did grow to enjoy the cartoon).

HaphazardJoy
01-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Let's see if I can even come up with that many. I mostly only read Batman titles.

Batwoman, Detective Comics is probably my favourite book from DC in years,
Batman,
Starman (Kallor),
The Question,
Nightwing,

Uhmmmm... DC owned Alan Moore characters?
John Constantine?
Acquisitions and licensed characters like The Shadow or WildC.A.T.s?

BOOGIE
01-27-2010, 01:41 AM
1. Doomsday
2.darkseid
3.cat Man
4. Deathstroke
5. Solomon Grundy
6.wonder Woman
7. Mr. Terrific
8. Black Adam
9.shazam
10. Calculator

ponyrl
01-27-2010, 01:46 AM
see, what stopped me from listing is that it feels like you want "current".

that shoots me out for both DC & Marvel characters.

Eugene Selassie
01-27-2010, 02:03 PM
1. Doomsday
2.darkseid
3.cat Man
4. Deathstroke
5. Solomon Grundy
6.wonder Woman
7. Mr. Terrific
8. Black Adam
9.shazam
10. Calculator

WOW!
This might be the most unique top ten I've ever seen.

Nice.

Eugene Selassie
01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
see, what stopped me from listing is that it feels like you want "current".

that shoots me out for both DC & Marvel characters.

Then do just your all time favorites bro. I can understand your loathing for most things Big Two these days...

There's some good stuff out there, although it might not get the advertising and exposure it deserves.

ponyrl
01-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Then do just your all time favorites bro. I can understand your loathing for most things Big Two these days...

There's some good stuff out there, although it might not get the advertising and exposure it deserves.
Ah. Cool.

The new gods.

Guy gardner w/ the yellow ring.

new firestorm (not richie rider).

Aztek.

Xero.

JLA when Barry kriston/john dell were the art crew.

Takion.

The Spectre (pre-2001)

Sandman (gaimen)

Death

Preacher

Saint of Killers

Phatman
01-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Phatman's Top ten DC characters (in no particular order):

1) Bruce Wayne/Batman
2) Oliver Queen
3) Superman
4) Flash
5) Hal Jordan
6) Lex Luthor
7) Sgt. Rock
8) Jim Gordon
9) Jimmy Olson
10) Joker

PS: Any DC list without Batman is null and void.

Eugene Selassie
01-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Phatman's Top ten DC characters (in no particular order):

PS: Any DC list without Batman is null and void.

Can't agree w you there bro.

I like Bruce, but between other characters with more original abilities/personalities/situations/origins and the oversaturation of Bats/Supes/JLA, they're hard pressed to make my list.

THE ONLY reason Clark made my list at #7 instead of his normal #11 spot is because of Geoff Johns' Action Comics run.

John Lees
01-29-2010, 12:45 PM
1. The Joker
2. Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
3. Batman
4. Sinestro
5. Two-Face
6. Captain Cold
7. Deadshot
8. Superman
9. Lex Luthor
10. The Flash (Barry Allen)

Buckyrig
01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
1. Superman
2. Batman

Whatever:

Flash (Wally)
Invisible Kid
GL(Guy)
Blue Beetle (Ted)
Robin (Tim)
Captain Marvel
Darkseid
Joker

Eugene Selassie
01-29-2010, 01:06 PM
I feel like a real bonehead because I only included heroes on my list...

I need to do a separate villains list now.

:yuk:

Eugene Selassie
01-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Ok...ten favorite DC villains.

1. The Brain

2. Captain Cold

3. Sinestro

4. Lady Shiva

5. Black Adam

6. Brainiac

7. Earth Man

8. Prometheus

9. Libra

10. Despero

ronin7
01-29-2010, 05:08 PM
My favorite DC villains:

Lex Luthor (white collar criminal/ Machiavellian version)

Joker

Scarecrow

Bane

Vandal Savage

The Crime Syndicate Of Amerika (Morrison version)

Zoom (Hunter Zoloman)

Gorilla Grodd

Ultra Humanite

Prometheus

Phatman
01-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Can't agree w you there bro.

I like Bruce, but between other characters with more original abilities/personalities/situations/origins and the oversaturation of Bats/Supes/JLA, they're hard pressed to make my list.

THE ONLY reason Clark made my list at #7 instead of his normal #11 spot is because of Geoff Johns' Action Comics run.

You do realize that Supes and Batman are pretty much the originals in the superhero game? You can like who you want, but a list without those two is sort like a list of favorite pizza toppings without sauce or cheese.

ponyrl
01-29-2010, 05:50 PM
You do realize that Supes and Batman are pretty much the originals in the superhero game? You can like who you want, but a list without those two is sort like a list of favorite pizza toppings without sauce or cheese.
But when was the last time they were heroes by the standard comic book definition?

Phatman
01-29-2010, 07:04 PM
But when was the last time they were heroes by the standard comic book definition?

I'd argue that the definition follows them and not the other way around.

trampis
01-29-2010, 09:49 PM
I haven't bought a comic of any kind in over ten years. Back then my top ten were: 10.Flash 9.Captain Marvel 8.Desparo 7.Thanos 6.Darkseid 5.Aqua Man 4.Blue Beetle(Ted Kord) 3.The Shade 2.Martian Manhunter 1.Star MAn(Jack Knight)

trampis
01-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Not sure how Thanos snuck into my list, should've been Superman.

ponyrl
01-30-2010, 12:39 AM
I'd argue that the definition follows them and not the other way around.
But then, the definition of a hero gets lost in the following.

Any of the current incarnations of these characters are pretty much interchangeable because the core of them being a heroe is lost on the things they don't do, and on the things they do without any meaning.

This one fights that one because of some dislike and not for the betterment of society, the resolution of a situation that is a danger to society.

Tell me, because I honestly want to know, what do you call a heroe in comics nowadays?

Other than the suits, what transcends them from the next?

Heroes are set to a certain standard and the interest in them comes from them trying to live up to that standard and the conflicts those standards have with the greater society at large.

What is a hero that does not go against the society and can easily blend in with the society he/she used to try and protect?

BEN DENNIS
01-30-2010, 01:01 AM
1- Superman
2- Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
3- Captain Marvel
4- Batman
5- Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)
6- Robin (Tim Drake)
7- Green Arrow
8- Guy Gardner
9- Captain Atom
10- Blue Devil

nfan
01-30-2010, 02:41 AM
I've been moving away from superhero books lately, but for me I would say:

1 - Dick Grayson
2 - Birds of Prey (I know it's 3 but I've always liked the Charlie's Angels dynamic)
3 - Kyle Rayner
4 - Cassandra Cain
5 - Harley Quinn
6 - Kara Zor-El
7 - Superman
8 - Wally West

I can't really think of a top 10 per se, but from reading comics back in high school to now these are the characters I've always kept coming back to

Buckyrig
01-30-2010, 10:50 AM
But then, the definition of a heroe gets lost in the following

Dan Quayle?

Jamir with an E
02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
1. Black Lightning (The first Isabella/Von Eden run was my first comic book reading experience period so I'll always have a place in my head for the character)

2. Superman (Never appreciate him when he's around but know the character would be missed by me if new stories stopped appearing)

3. Bronze Tiger

4. Richard Dragon

5. Lady Shiva.

6. Batman

7. Cyborg

8. Martian Manhunter (was always drawn to his Superman, with a touch of Professor X by way of a Super Skrull lean to his power. Potentially the most dangerous being in the DC universe as he can read your thoughts, be anybody or - if it comes down to a fight - hit you with a level of force on par with anything Superman could hit you with ... provided you're not packing a match or something.

9. Hawk/Dove (The Kesels version) - Kind of cheating there but like Cloak and Dagger neither has a relevant enough non team body of work that lets me see them as anything but two parts of a similar whole.

10. G'Nort - yes G'nort lol. Something about a slacker Green Lantern wielding a ring that doesn't even respect him tickles my funny bone for some reason :laugh:

Eugene Selassie
02-17-2010, 04:38 PM
1. Black Lightning (The first Isabella/Von Eden run was my first comic book reading experience period so I'll always have a place in my head for the character)

2. Superman (Never appreciate him when he's around but know the character would be missed by me if new stories stopped appearing)

3. Bronze Tiger

4. Richard Dragon

5. Lady Shiva.

6. Batman

7. Cyborg

8. Martian Manhunter (was always drawn to his Superman, with a touch of Professor X by way of a Super Skrull lean to his power. Potentially the most dangerous being in the DC universe as he can read your thoughts, be anybody or - if it comes down to a fight - hit you with a level of force on par with anything Superman could hit you with ... provided you're not packing a match or something.

9. Hawk/Dove (The Kesels version) - Kind of cheating there but like Cloak and Dagger neither has a relevant enough non team body of work that lets me see them as anything but two parts of a similar whole.

10. G'Nort - yes G'nort lol. Something about a slacker Green Lantern wielding a ring that doesn't even respect him tickles my funny bone for some reason :laugh:

OUTSIDERS FTW!!!
Glad there are other fans besides me.

Eugene Selassie
02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
And seriously...with the number of Cassandra Cain fans out there, why isn't there more backlash with Stephanie Brown as Batgirl?

RandallFlagg
02-17-2010, 08:32 PM
And seriously...with the number of Cassandra Cain fans out there, why isn't there more backlash with Stephanie Brown as Batgirl?
I liked Cassandra Cain, but I'm really digging the Stephanie run right now. As long as it's good, I don't think you'll see too much backlash.

Eugene Selassie
03-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I liked Cassandra Cain, but I'm really digging the Stephanie run right now. As long as it's good, I don't think you'll see too much backlash.

I guess it was okay that an established character like Spoiler became the new Batgirl.

I'm ok with legacy characters, just not when the character is swapped every few years...

That really grinds my gears. LOL.

RandallFlagg
03-01-2010, 06:41 PM
I guess it was okay that an established character like Spoiler became the new Batgirl.

I'm ok with legacy characters, just not when the character is swapped every few years...

That really grinds my gears. LOL.
Yeah, I'm with you there. I mean, as much as I love the Flash, in the last two years, we've gone from THE main Flash being Wally to Bart, back to Wally, and now it seems it will be Barry. Yeah, they're established characters...hell, they're loved by a lot of people, but switching them up so much is crazy.