PDA

View Full Version : getting back...

galmando
01-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Howdy doo

i get my bonus in a months time, so i'm thinking i'll go and stock up on a few comics i've missed out on

it's only been about 4 months so i'm just wondering what general opnion is?

Trades or single issues?

plus, i really wanna streamline what i get now, maybe stick with Spidey, i enjoy Thor, perhaps Avengers, but with all the events and crap, i've no idea if any of these titles cross over or if i need to buy and mini-series.

i think i'm done with the ultimate universe, should i pick up Ultimate Avengers considering i LOVE the original 2 volumes?

thoughts would be very welcome!!!

thanks!!

Eugene Selassie
01-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Nova
Guardians of the Galaxy
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Avengers the Initiative/Avengers Academy
Mighty Avengers
Wonder Woman
Birds of Prey
Invincible
Fantastic Four
100 Bullets
Fables/Jack of Fables
Booster Gold
R.E.B.E.L.S.
Incredible Hercules
Captain America
Incredible Hulk (PLEASE stay away from the adjectiveless Hulk book)
Batman and Robin
Detective Comics
X-Factor
Witchblade
Adventure Comics

Take two or more of those, then call me in the morning.

:har:

HaphazardJoy
01-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Mighty Avengers
Captain America
Batman and Robin
Detective Comics
X-Factor

Take two or more of those, then call me in the morning.

:har:

Totally agree with those minus a lame reveal to do with Layla in X-Factor. Detective Comics is probably my favourite book DC is putting out right now, and that's saying something considering how good Batman and Robin has been.

I'd add New Mutants, it's been great.

Eugene Selassie
01-23-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm torn...I like the New Mutants book right now. I'll admit to being one of Zeb Wells' biggest detractors (I won't forgive him for that New Warriors vol 3), but his New Mutants he actually GETS these characters. I also hate resurrections, but Doug Ramsey's powers have NEVER been utilized in such a cool way.

BUT...

This book really doesn't do anything unique other than satisfy us 80's fanboys who miss this roster (Same as TITANS was).

Unless they do something drastic (have the students rebel against Cyclops and start feuding with Nation X for example), this book won't be long for this world.

HaphazardJoy
01-23-2010, 12:41 PM
This book really doesn't do anything unique other than satisfy us 80's fanboys who miss this roster (Same as TITANS was).

Except that I didn't get into comics until the early 90's.

Bubye, you are... the Weakest Link.

Eugene Selassie
01-23-2010, 12:55 PM
LOL.

I WANT the book to stay around, but don't think that's gonna happen.

X-factor and X-force do unique stuff that can't be told in X-men.

New Mutants can't make that claim.

HaphazardJoy
01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
X-factor and X-force do unique stuff that can't be told in X-men.

New Mutants can't make that claim.

Sure it can, it can tell stories about the New Mutants as individuals and a group.I'm not fooling myself into thinking it will be around forever, or that the level of quality will remain as high, but I'll enjoy it while it does.

Edit-
You, of all people, should appreciate that Eugene. I know you're not an X-freak like myself, but you do have your own very specific niche of what encapsulates you as a reader and fan. That's kind of like saying that throwing Quasar onto Guardians of the Galaxy alleviates the need or worth of a Quasar solo ongoing. Sure, X-titles can be seemingly redundant, and often half of them aren't exactly top quality at any given time, but I really think the periphery titles could all sustain ongoing status if they had this level of effort put in and the sales to back it. Like I alluded to, I only have maybe a hundred comics pre-1992, and most of those were purchased as an adult (some New Mutants, but mostly X-Factor and X-men). I really only know some of these characters via random cameos and the half of them who appeared, pretty changed, in the pages of X-force. Still, I've always loved Warlock (who I knew better from Excalibur), and loved the idea of Doug Ramsey even though he was long dead before I read much about him. Since they've shined so much, and the intricacies of everyone's relationships is taking front and center in this title, it's not hard to pick up on who everyone is and why they deserve following.

Eugene Selassie
01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Edit-
You, of all people, should appreciate that Eugene. I know you're not an X-freak like myself, but you do have your own very specific niche of what encapsulates you as a reader and fan. That's kind of like saying that throwing Quasar onto Guardians of the Galaxy alleviates the need or worth of a Quasar solo ongoing.

Actually it IS the same.

Look, Quasar is in my top ten ALL-TIME favorite characters, but I'm not going to delude myself in thinking that he'd get his own ongoing series AND be in Guardians of the Galaxy.

It is a different market and a different editorial regime than a decade and a half ago. With the anti-cosmic sentiments of certain higher ups, we'd be lucky if they made a Quasar ongoing. They'd use the excuse that Nova is already a hero that polices space.

Even though Wendell Vaughn and Richard Rider are completely different personalities and in different life situations, Marvel from a financial standpoint wouldn't risk it.

New Mutants is a tad different, being in the X-universe. As we know, fans will buy books related to X/Spider/Super/Bat/JLA anything regardless of if the book is actually good or not.
In this case, the book in question IS good. But seriously, those SAME New Mutants stories can be told by focusing on those characters in a refocused Astonishing X-men or X-men Legacy, with the kids graduating to X-men team status.

How much longer do you think Marvel will tolerate a lower selling title (compared to the other X-books) when it DOES NOT do anything so drastically unique that it provides something niche that CAN NOT be duplicated in any other book.

If Marvel put Sean McKeever on a New Warriors title with a REAL New Warriors team (mix of classics and new), that would be a smarter investment.

Even though Justice and Rage are with the Initiative, you still have over 3 dozen ex Warriors.

I don't think I'd be so apathetic toward New Mutants maybe if it was a mix of classic New Mutants and maybe some of the young New X-men (Rockslide, Prodigy, etc...)

HaphazardJoy
01-25-2010, 07:18 PM
How much longer do you think Marvel will tolerate a lower selling title (compared to the other X-books) when it DOES NOT do anything so drastically unique that it provides something niche that CAN NOT be duplicated in any other book.

Traditionally, a good while actually. Again, I disagree that it can be duplicated so easily. Since when does Marvel allow for a classic line-up to dominate a whole core X-title for more than an arc? Occasionally in isolated titles like Xtreme or Astonishing, a certain cast will stick more-or-less intact, but when was the last time they focused on this line-up? Hell, when was the last time Sunspot and Magma got more than passing mentions?

Furthermore: like you said, people who are fans of a particular character/group often buy a bunch of related titles. As long as a book like New Mutants is making a profit for Marvel, even if it COULD be duplicated elsewhere, why axe it? I don't expect you to answer, we both know they've axed other good books for no apparent reason despite what would appear to be a profitable amount of sales left to it. Still, point being: Why get rid of New Mutants and just let them take over Uncanny for a short while when you could be making a small profit on New Mutants AND still be selling all those issues of Uncanny? That doesn't mean I think we need 500 X-titles at once, my wallet certainly agrees, but I think this title in question, could easily sustain a couple of years' worth of issues.