PDA

View Full Version : A Question Of Ethics

Johnny Crash
01-15-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm in the process of making arrangements with a friend to collaborate on a project. Since it's a pure collaboration we're talking about, we will both have an equal stake in the property. But honestly, as wrong as this may be, I, on some level at least, feel that it's mine. I know I shouldn't, but I do. Anyway, as such, I don't ever want to "lose" it, in the event that my friend and I split up. (Something I hope never happens).

So in order to protect my interests, and respect the fact that my friend and I will share ownership of this project, the only thing I can think to do is incorporate a clause into our agreement allowing both of us to continue working on it either on our own or with others if we ever split up. Which I'm OK with.

But the thing is I was originally working with someone else on this project. I paid him a page rate, (admittedly, a very, very low one) and our agreement stipulates that he would only have a 50% stake for as long as he worked on it, but if we split up, I would regain full ownership. (But of course he is forever entitled to a percentage of any profits it ever generates, 50% in some cases, less in cases where his contribution is not as great as that of my new collaborator). So legally, I have no obligation to extend the right to work on this project to him as well, but do I have an ethical obligation to do so?

Also, if we (my friend and I) do split up and both decide to continue doing stories with others, how should we treat our new collaborators? Should we divide our individual stakes in the property with them, or treat them as work for hire?

What do you think?

MartinBrandt
01-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Have you read this?

http://www.hollywoodcomics.com/collab.html

It is more than fare and I used it for a similar issue.

maverick
01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
how good a "friend" are we talking here?

Tommy Brownell
01-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Have you read this?

http://www.hollywoodcomics.com/collab.html

It is more than fare and I used it for a similar issue.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

As a guy breaking in myself with some collaborators...that is amazingly useful.

Thanks very much for posting that.

Tommy Brownell

Scribbly
01-16-2010, 06:22 AM
What do you think?

Good thing to not make bussiness with you, then. :rolleyes:

MartinBrandt
01-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

As a guy breaking in myself with some collaborators...that is amazingly useful.

Thanks very much for posting that.

Tommy Brownell
I can't take all the credit there, I grabbed it from the resource sticky in this forum. ^_^

Tommy Brownell
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I can't take all the credit there, I grabbed it from the resource sticky in this forum. ^_^

I....see that now...but thanks anyway!