PDA

View Full Version : After the Blackest Night

Ian Ascher
01-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Comes the Brightest Day...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Brightest-Day-Announcement-100111.html

A Bi-Weekly series for 26 weeks... Dave Finch on covers...
The Flash Series...
A JLA/JSA team up...
And the Titans are a group of villains for hire led by Deathstroke...???

Allegory Comics
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
I think we all saw this coming, but perhaps not in this format. I'd be okay with it, but 26 bi-weekly issues? At $3 or $4 a pop, that's a big committment for me. That, and this thing (like their Superman, Batman and to a lesser degree Flash events) has stretched out WAY too long already. You think I have the patience for another year?

No thanks. This is probably a REALLY good story, but it's time to get on with it and stop dragging it out.

Paul Sanderson
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Couldn't agree more. Why does every one of these event stories come immediately after the last one and they all take a year or more to conclude (that's if they ever truly conclude)?! Not any more, thanks.

Biofungus
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
DC likes to brag that there isn't a "million tie-ins" to their epic story events, but then they go and drag them out for what would amount to 2+ years worth of monthly issues!

Biofungus
01-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Also, I'm guessing that that white fiery entity on the Brightest day cover is Dove.

Paul Sanderson
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
DC likes to brag that there isn't a "million tie-ins" to their epic story events, but then they go and drag them out for what would amount to 2+ years worth of monthly issues!

Exactly. Enough is enough.

Moonrider
01-12-2010, 08:26 PM

Considering the trend of comic book events over the past decade, maybe this is just how the big two sell comics these days. 'Events' are merely everyday happenings that span their shared universe, only glorified. In the end, it's still your own decision to only pick up titles you like or be a completist. Heck, I got Wikipedia. I don't need to fret if I miss an issue or so. :laugh:

Paul Sanderson
01-12-2010, 09:08 PM
An event, by definition, is meant to be something truly unique and special. By having nearly every comic book be classified as an event, the term has totally lost all meaning and has none of the gloss of past events. Of course, nobody is forced to buy, but either way, we don't have to be happy with how DC/Marvel do things these days in regards to the topic at hand.

UniverseX259
01-12-2010, 09:15 PM
The best way to do away with these event comics is to just not buy anything with a "Dark Reign" or a "Blackest Night" or whatever banner on the cover. It might not affect sales that much, but maybe the companies could get the memo and maybe keep events to a certain family of books or only have a major one once a year instead of 5 going on at the same time.

Ian Ascher
01-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Couldn't agree more. Why does every one of these event stories come immediately after the last one and they all take a year or more to conclude (that's if they ever truly conclude)?! Not any more, thanks.

Because they sell, no matter what....

I'll agree a true event in comics has is rare and the word by definition has lost all meaning but fans still want these grand, epic, stories. It's going to take a really big one to really fail hard before Marvel or DC pull back even think of pulling back.

Like em or hate em, they aren't necessary to enjoy a ton of other books put out each month. There's plenty to read.

Paul Sanderson
01-12-2010, 11:18 PM
They sell, sure, but then so would anything else they put out with the major characters, so that really isn't saying much.

onizuka43
01-13-2010, 04:21 AM
I've enjoyed Blackest Night and a couple of the tie-ins, but what I hate about these events is that they put every other comic on hold just to conform with that event.

Like the current Green Lantern series was only like eight issues in when they had to do the whole one year later thing that really hasn't lasted at all. That storyline was dropped once Sinestro Corps took over. Then there was also all the Spider-man crap after civil war, which I don't need to get into here.

I do think the writers and editors are trying to do something exciting that will make readers happy than just trying to make money, but it just doesn't always work, or maybe it's just me being optimistic and hopeful. I kind of hope it's the hopeful than the other option.

Biofungus
01-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Considering the trend of comic book events over the past decade, maybe this is just how the big two sell comics these days. 'Events' are merely everyday happenings that span their shared universe, only glorified. In the end, it's still your own decision to only pick up titles you like or be a completist. Heck, I got Wikipedia. I don't need to fret if I miss an issue or so. :laugh:
The biggest (and worst) trend I've seen with events, is one event rolling into another, into another. DC is much worse than Marvel, because they do have events with quite a few tie-ins, which roll into a year long, weekly or bi-weekly gimmick, which rolls right into the next "big tie-in" event. They just don't stop. And they need to. DC still hadn't even settled Infinite Crisis (which in itself rolled over from Identity Crisis), when they rolled it over into 52 (which was related, but still a year long event gimmick), rolled it right into Final Crisis (or whatever the title was, I forgot offhand), and then they rolled it into One Year Later, and then they started up Blackest Night (which, considering how good GL has been the past couple of years, promised to be really good), and are rolling it into Brightest Day, and a year long bi-weekly gimmick.

At least Marvel is learning to keep their events more self contained, and they go much longer between events, giving said events time to build up. DC doesn't. It's like, who has time to even sleep or piss in the DC universe anymore? Heck, even the dead don't with the current events!

How can they shake up the status quo, when everything is an event and they don't even give themselves time to establish a status quo?

Ian Ascher
01-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Like the current Green Lantern series was only like eight issues in when they had to do the whole one year later thing that really hasn't lasted at all. That storyline was dropped once Sinestro Corps took over.

Go back and re-read those Green Lantern Books... they finished all those story lines.

Jamir with an E
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Can understand why DC would want to capitalize on The Darkest night momentum but, honestly, I've purposefully avoided these weekly comic event offering due to budget constraints so, more like than not, I'll wait until the stories are collected in some form before reading.

Paul Sanderson
01-13-2010, 05:12 PM
The biggest (and worst) trend I've seen with events, is one event rolling into another, into another. DC is much worse than Marvel, because they do have events with quite a few tie-ins, which roll into a year long, weekly or bi-weekly gimmick, which rolls right into the next "big tie-in" event. They just don't stop. And they need to. DC still hadn't even settled Infinite Crisis (which in itself rolled over from Identity Crisis), when they rolled it over into 52 (which was related, but still a year long event gimmick), rolled it right into Final Crisis (or whatever the title was, I forgot offhand), and then they rolled it into One Year Later, and then they started up Blackest Night (which, considering how good GL has been the past couple of years, promised to be really good), and are rolling it into Brightest Day, and a year long bi-weekly gimmick.

At least Marvel is learning to keep their events more self contained, and they go much longer between events, giving said events time to build up. DC doesn't. It's like, who has time to even sleep or piss in the DC universe anymore? Heck, even the dead don't with the current events!

How can they shake up the status quo, when everything is an event and they don't even give themselves time to establish a status quo?

Couldn't agree more. And you're right, as much as I dislike how Marvel is run these days, DC is by far the worse publisher when it comes to these constantly rolling into one another events as you describe.

Mr.Musgrave
01-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I have to admit, I'm pretty over the mega-event.

Eugene Selassie
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
I think we're all in agreement on that, but as long as the masses are willing to throw their dollars/euros/yen....at these events, then they'll keep happening.

Eugene Selassie
01-15-2010, 03:36 PM
And where in the world have you been Musgrave?

SUPER long time no hear.

Paul Sanderson
01-15-2010, 04:25 PM
The same masses would buy non-event comics featuring the same characters, too. That's really a nonsensical argument, Eugene.

Ian Ascher
01-16-2010, 09:15 AM
The same masses would buy non-event comics featuring the same characters, too. That's really a nonsensical argument, Eugene.

That's not exactly true... at least in my shop.

There are people buying Seige that don't buy, Thor, Cap, Iron Man, or Avengers. There are people at my shop buying Blackest Night that dont buy Green Lantern, JLA, Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman.

These readers would much rather have the single big event story than follow two, three, four, or even five other books on a monthly basis. The events (when done well) give a reader a lot of information about the characters without having to follow them in seperate books. Sure, you won't get every single little plot line in detail but you can figure the big ones out.

I see what you're trying to say though.... take away the event books and that extra money will be spent on other regular monthly titles. It makes sense on paper but it wont always translate.

If I walk into a shop to pick up a book like Seige #1 because its a big story that has the whole Marvel Universe in it, what would I buy if that book doesn't exist? Even if thy told Seige over four months in one Avengers title, I might buy that book for those four months but when its over, I may not stay if the next big thing is in the pages of the Hulk or the Fantastic Four. I'm still just buying one book a month.

Biofungus
01-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Part of the point of an event (I sort of touched upon in your other thread) is to get people who aren't normally interested in the characters involved, interested enough to pick up the event. Obviously the companies hope it leads to those people starting to pick up the books featuring those characters that they weren't picking up prior to the event. If the story (and consequences of the event) are not carried over into the individual character books, but rather a separate series, that means the original books have lower sales (not necessarily worse than before the event, but if the event doesn't lead to an increase in readership, then essentially, it has failed it's purpose).

Eugene Selassie
01-16-2010, 02:30 PM

You weren't high when you posted this were you? :har:

J/K.

Seriously bro, if you think those same people buying Blackest Night would buy the regular Green Lantern, Flash, the Atom, etc comics

or if you think the same people who buy Siege would buy Thor or Thunderbolts or Mighty Avengers...

Then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Just because YOU or I would buy the monthlies just because they are well crafted books doesn't mean the masses would.
You give them a bit too much credit.

I don't like the sheep comment, but it is very apt in the world of comics.

People buy what others think is popular...people buy whatever is hyped and they don't feel a long term commitment on. Summer event minis give them that.

Biofungus
01-16-2010, 03:14 PM
It's not really a "summer event mini" when they last 12 months long and happen yearly though, is it? ;)

Paul Sanderson
01-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Of course, crossover issues can sometimes help sell the titles of the lesser books from Marvel/DC et al, but you'll often find that that isn't the case. And the Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men etc. books will sell whether it's part of an event or not (which is what I was getting at with my previous point).

And Bio's right, this is hardly a summer event. We haven't had a true one of those for many a long year. The event we're in now is a continuation of one from several years ago that just ran into the next and the next and the next on an annual basis until the present. And I'm sure this current one will run into another and another too :rolleyes:

Knuckles
01-17-2010, 11:47 AM
First off I would like to say Fuck you to everybody who doesn't like the current main event (Blackest night)

I usually buy trades, so that I can pick and choose the good stories I want to read, but Blackest night has been the first comic in a long time that got me excited about monthlies. This in turn causes me to go to the comic book shop more than once every couple of months and on impulse I picked up the new Ultimate avenger monthly. These main events are geared toward me, the casual reader and this one worked. Although, the Seige, I have no interest in.

Biofungus
01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
First off I would like to say Fuck you to everybody who doesn't like the current main event (Blackest night)

:eek: I take offense to that, sir!

No, not really. I do like Blackest Night. But therein lies the rub. I don't want to be dragged into every other book, nor the follow up "event" just because of that.

Are you honestly going to buy the bi weekly series (and the GL related titles) every month now? If not, then this event really isn't targeted at people like you. The point is to get you to keep buying, and buy the related titles interconnected with this event. You may enjoy the story, as many people are, but if you drop it after this event, then the event has essentially failed at what it was meant to do, bring in new *longstanding* readers.

Paul Sanderson
01-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Exactly. And, if it fails, as most such events do in that case, then why run said event in the first place?

Moonrider
01-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Well, because making good, quality comics that sell for every individual titles every month is still a lot harder than making just one title full of gimmicks that can result in brisk increase in sales for all individual titles involved in the event, until the next event comes along. It won't come as a surprise for me if comics eventually evolved into a series of tie-ins for one single universe book rather than single titles that stand on their own.

Mwynn
01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Everything Green Lantern is gold since Rebirth, just go with it and ride the wave.

Paul Sanderson
01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Everything Green Lantern is gold since Rebirth, just go with it and ride the wave.

I agree with you, the GL book is one of the few really good books out there right now.

Knuckles
01-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Exactly. And, if it fails, as most such events do in that case, then why run said event in the first place?

So you have something to bitch about.

Are you honestly going to buy the bi weekly series (and the GL related titles) every month now? If not, then this event really isn't targeted at people like you. The point is to get you to keep buying, and buy the related titles interconnected with this event. You may enjoy the story, as many people are, but if you drop it after this event, then the event has essentially failed at what it was meant to do, bring in new *longstanding* readers.

Maybe. Right now this is a great event and the tie-ins are good, so I don't see why I won't do it. But if it's not a good story in my eyes, then I drop it.

Biofungus
01-18-2010, 12:59 PM
I will agree that the GL books are among the best out there right now, but I hate that basically this whole event is going to consolidate to a point that only the GL books need to be involved, yet they are putting out a bi weekly series, and likely other extraneous series are going to be involved as well.

Paul Sanderson
01-18-2010, 05:42 PM
I will agree that the GL books are among the best out there right now, but I hate that basically this whole event is going to consolidate to a point that only the GL books need to be involved, yet they are putting out a bi weekly series, and likely other extraneous series are going to be involved as well.

Exactly. That's one thing I have to bitch about, Knuckles. And I hate years long events that run into each other for years at a time and never making much sense at the end of it, if there ever is an end, that is.

Eugene Selassie
01-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Books like Doom Patrol, Booster Gold, R.E.B.E.L.S, etc... are all VERY good books.

The problem? MOST fans don't read for quality. They read because of hype and how "important" a book is as far as the big event stuff going on.

Then there are the fans that REFUSE to try anything new and will only read a book if it has Spider Man/Superman/X-men/Batman/JLA in it.

If they didn't do the Blackest Night tie-ins, the above books that I named would fade away same as Checkmate, Shadowpact, etc...

Paul Sanderson
01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Guess what, Eugene? Most of those books you mention will fade away anyway, despite the slew of never-ending events. It's just the nature of things.

ronin7
01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Books like Doom Patrol, Booster Gold, R.E.B.E.L.S, etc... are all VERY good books.

The problem? MOST fans don't read for quality. They read because of hype and how "important" a book is as far as the big event stuff going on.

Then there are the fans that REFUSE to try anything new and will only read a book if it has Spider Man/Superman/X-men/Batman/JLA in it.

If they didn't do the Blackest Night tie-ins, the above books that I named would fade away same as Checkmate, Shadowpact, etc...

Um, most fans don't have the same taste you do. I thought Byrne's Doom Patrol revamp was awesome, but it was universally hated by fandom - so much so that DC refuses to reprint it in trades because they know it won't sell that well. They only reprint the god awful Morrison run, and the original stories because those sell. Which is sad, but that's how businesses are run.

-Mick

Eugene Selassie
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Um, most fans don't have the same taste you do. I thought Byrne's Doom Patrol revamp was awesome, but it was universally hated by fandom - so much so that DC refuses to reprint it in trades because they know it won't sell that well. They only reprint the god awful Morrison run, and the original stories because those sell. Which is sad, but that's how businesses are run.

-Mick

I can't understand your hate for all things Grant Morrison.

I can admit that 52, Batman and Robin and All Star Superman were his only high note mainstream work since New X-men, the rest was...well, it was...
But nearly all his work was gold prior to that, INCLUDING Doom Patrol.