PDA

View Full Version : frank tieri sucks...doesnt he?

Drew
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
I've been reading reviews and posts about frank tieri lately and i can't help but notice all the positive reviews he gets and it leads me to wonder....

Am i the only one who thinks this guy is a hack and sucks? like i really dislike this guy and his writing.....is it just me? am i ....*gasp*...a hater?

Because he really sucks to me. i really think he is a hack.

Is it just me?

Tom Noir
01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I don't know about Frank Tieri, but I hope, for your sake, you're not trying to get into the industry. Lots of people watch this site, and posting stuff like this can potentially blackball you.

Just saying.

ponyrl
01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
^yeah, I was thinking the same.

Moonrider
01-12-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't know about Frank Tieri, but I hope, for your sake, you're not trying to get into the industry. Lots of people watch this site, and posting stuff like this can potentially blackball you.

Just saying.

Unless he's actually Frank Tieri's father in-law or something. :laugh:

Biofungus
01-12-2010, 02:07 AM
Everybody has their own tastes, but yeah, the industry "flavor of the month" usually seems more black and white than your average industry pro (as in people either love or hate the person, not much middle ground).

Drew
01-12-2010, 02:11 AM
really? wow. i mean i was really just asking the question, am i the only one who thinks this guy...well....sucks? is it just me? if it is then i guess we can all agree i have bad taste or should give him more of a chance, but if its not well then i guess i'm just a guy letting out his opinion on a public forum.

Biofungus
01-12-2010, 02:21 AM
I don't think I've read enough to make that call. But if it makes you feel any better, I can't STAND Grant Morrison, and he's been the "flavor of the month" more than a few times ;)

onizuka43
01-12-2010, 02:22 AM
really? wow. i mean i was really just asking the question, am i the only one who thinks this guy...well....sucks? is it just me? if it is then i guess we can all agree i have bad taste or should give him more of a chance, but if its not well then i guess i'm just a guy letting out his opinion on a public forum.

Well why does he suck according to you? Just to jump on to a board and say something sucks isn't very productive. You're free to have your own tastes and whatever but why even start this post just to hate on someone.

Personally I've never read any of his work and have no opinion either way. He just seems like another person who has found his way into the industry and is trying his best and continues to get work. He may not be your flavor, but the beauty part of comic book shops is that they have a ton more comics you can try instead.

ronin7
01-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Well, Drew's opinion is not the most constructive way to say it. But, still it's his opinion even if I don't agree with it. I for one enjoyed Tieri's Wolverine story entitled Blood Debt. Aside from that, I haven't read much of his other work sadly.

khoipham
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
i enjoyed drawing his "made men: spymaster" story, for what it's worth.

chris stevens
01-12-2010, 01:42 PM
i enjoyed that story myself.

no one should lose sight of the fact that, whether you like a creator or not, they're people like you, most likely doing their best to make a go of it.

RonaldMontgomery
01-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah, and there's a difference in saying "Frank Tieri sucks!" and "Frank Tieri's writing sucks!"

The first is an indictment of the person, which unless you know him, is ridiculous to say, and if you do know him, is poor form to state in a public forum.

The second is an inarticulate criticism of his work. This IS a free country, and you're free to state whatever you please with the exceptions of slander, libel, fighting words, and sedition, but you will be called on the carpet if you can't manage to state one argument to support your thesis besides you have the right to your opinion.

I don't mean to be crappy, but constitutionally-protected speech doesn't mean we're obligated to not question the speaker's words or intent.

Who's Frank Tieri? :laugh:

Drew
01-13-2010, 03:56 AM
i agree with the above post. i in no way meant frank tieri the person, i meant his writing. I didnt think it'd ruffle feathers by saying i thought his writing sucked. it's a comic forum designed for comic fans to speak their mind. I'm happy for the guy in all truth, i'm happy for any comic writer who can make the dream happen, live off their writing. But still other then that i did wonder if anyone else felt the same way. Obviously not lol so checkmate frank teri.

thanks for the responses guys

Biofungus
01-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Just out of curiosity: Most of us in this thread have either only read like one story by Frank. or none at all. Assuming we're the "average reader", why are you coming into contact with more of his writing than average (because I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that you've at least read a few of his stories before coming to that conclusion). If it's a specific story you're referencing though, why not start a discussion on that, rather than the writer as a whole?

HaphazardJoy
01-13-2010, 07:34 AM
By happenstance of my being an X-fan, I'm moderately familiar with Tieri. I really do like his attention to open opportunities with continuity (see: Dracula v. Apocalypse), it's refreshing. I don't care much for the scope of his writing. I wouldn't say he sucks, there's a LONG line of writers ahead of him that I wish wouldn't have touched the X-men's continuity, but he hasn't done too much I've loved.

X-men is like the supreme soap opera of Marvel comics, you can tell a story which deals with just about any issue of discrimination, oppression, gender, sex, outsider-ness, adventure, romance, tragedy, violence, anger, sadness, etc etc etc. So my general median line for new arcs and books is: tell me a meaningful story.

Tieri hasn't done that for me from what I've read, but he doesn't suck either.

ronin7
01-13-2010, 09:54 AM
i agree with the above post. i in no way meant frank tieri the person, i meant his writing. I didnt think it'd ruffle feathers by saying i thought his writing sucked. it's a comic forum designed for comic fans to speak their mind. I'm happy for the guy in all truth, i'm happy for any comic writer who can make the dream happen, live off their writing. But still other then that i did wonder if anyone else felt the same way. Obviously not lol so checkmate frank teri.

thanks for the responses guys

Well, what set off a lot of people was you calling him a hack - which I don't agree with, as I have said. That and you said you dislike him. I don't know if you have communication problems, but your intentions came out as slamming Frank Tieri as a person. You need to be clearer when you define your opinions, otherwise you just make people upset with you.

WilliamStormeSmith
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Frank is a super guy, unbelievably helpful, and great to talk with, and an excellent writer in my personal opinion.

eDuke
01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
i enjoyed drawing his "made men: spymaster" story, for what it's worth.
I enjoyed lettering his Gamma Corps. It was my first Marvel gig (besides the Epic stuff).

Biofungus
01-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I guess I have read something by him afterall. But admittedly, I wasn't overly thrilled by Gamma Corps. (however, I admit that could have been due more to editorial constraints since it was part of Planet Hulk).

RonaldMontgomery
01-13-2010, 01:01 PM
I enjoyed lettering his Gamma Corps. It was my first Marvel gig (besides the Epic stuff).

Ooh, thread fork: what makes a comic enjoyable to letter?

Eugene Selassie
01-13-2010, 01:27 PM
I am rather neutral on his work.

Didn't hate it, but DEFINITELY not a fan.

Weapon X was halfway decent.

Didn't dig his Wolverine stuff or any of his DC stuff.

MARK A ROBINSON
01-18-2010, 08:40 PM
I've worked with Frank. It was a good smooth ride.

I think his scripts are textbook comic book serialized action comic stuff that comes out on in a timely fashion and editors like that's just the way it goes.

Comicbook 101 stuff.

M.

zcotty
01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't know if it's smart saying this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Tieri_%28mobster%29) sucks... :confused:

:p

PC812
02-03-2010, 07:45 AM
I wasn't too enthused about his Wolverine stuff but I really dug Weapon X.