PDA

View Full Version : DC's Second Feature

Ian Ascher
01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Anyone still reading any books with a Second Feature in them right now?

I had heard that DC was going to cancel/change/switch some of them up in 2010 and I noticed in the advanced solicitations in March, Metal Men is gone from Doom Patrol and Blue Beetle is gone from Booster Gold. While I wasn't a big fan of the new Blue Beetle, I did like the Metal men as done by Giffen, Dematties, and Maguire.

I also noticed that the cover price has gone back down to $2.99 in these books. I was certain DC would keep the jacked up cover prices without the extra content but Im really glad they didn't.

At least DC is trying to give us something for the money. Marvel still hikes the cost of their books up without even trying to give us anything extra.

IF DC keeps the Second Feture any thoughts as to who they should try out? Personaly Id like to see a Dr Fate and a Ronnie Raymond Firestorm.

Allegory Comics
01-07-2010, 11:15 AM
I still don't like the second features, becuase they're often characters I don't care about and have no interest in reading. I think it would be better to use the second features as an area to develop subplots relating to the title.

For example, maybe the second feature on SUPERMAN would be something about Superboy that eventually grows and becomes the center focus of the book. That way, at least the second feature is more closely related to the parent title and gives us an incentive for reading it. Plus, DC could keep the added content for added cost.

Jamir with an E
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Like the idea behind the second feature but also think (agreeing somewhat with A.C) that maybe they should be focused more on characters with tangible relationships with the featured presentation. For example: even though Booster Gold and Blue Beetle are connected through Ted and John's past connection ... their connection isn't the same as John's and Jaime's would be. So if you're going to have a (new) Blue Beetle back up feature perhaps the pages of Teen Titans is the place to do that. Likewise a Batgirl back up in Batman, maybe some Gotham P.D related back ups in Detective Comics, etc. But again really like the idea of having back up features to utilize characters that may not see the light of day otherwise. Also like the few (new) Question back ups I've read as I think the Montoya version of the character is more effective in short, mini-episodic, bursts.

Eugene Selassie
01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Once again, I don't see the love for Ronnie Raymond now.
When I last checked the sales numbers, Jason Rusch was clearly selling as much during his run as Ronnie Raymond did, and even more than even during latter Raymond runs.

I've tried reading the character...as white bread as can be.

Sorry, but Ted Kord, Ray Palmer and Paul Kirk HAVE personality...and I was fine with their replacements...
I'm MORE than pleased with Jason Rusch. Stuart Moore/Jamal Igle...NUFF SAID.

Anyway...backup features...I'm a fan of them. EXCEPT Metal Men.
Thought the first issue was fine, but each backup got worse. I think this creative team clearly doesn't deliver the same punch they did on JLI...
AND I liked the Metal Men more in 52 and in their last mini.

The other backups have all been solid.

Ian Ascher
01-09-2010, 07:15 AM
I grew up w/ Ronnie Raymond as Firestorm. He was unique when he debuted and DC kept him in the spotlight for some time before he vanished into the 90's. Kurt Busiek brought him back in the pages of Power Company and he worked well there until the book ended.

I tried the new Firestorm when it came out and just didn't connect with the creators or characters. I think he (Ronnie) could be developed into a much stronger character. Firestorm as a whole is one of the most powerful characters in the DCU.

I like the fact that the Second Features focus on characters without a home right now. Characters that could be strong and well done but need a boost so people can see they have some value. Aside from a rare few, the characters are only as strong as the creators that write and illustrate them.

I noticed DC is starting to collect the books that have Second Features in them but they aren't including the Second Features themselves. Im hoping they do somewhere down the road. I'd love to read Captain Atom but just cant afford Action Comics right now for the sake of the secondary story.

RandallFlagg
01-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I noticed DC is starting to collect the books that have Second Features in them but they aren't including the Second Features themselves. Im hoping they do somewhere down the road.
Yeah, I noticed that. I was thinking that they might just release a trade for each, once they get enough.

Biofungus
01-10-2010, 04:42 AM
I think the second feature thing is changing/ending for the same reason anthologies tend to fall out of favor after a short while: people just don't like paying extra for a book with multiple stories, when they're only interested in one particular story.

I think DC should consider taking these lower tiered characters to free online webcomics (boost their marketability and exposure, then use them prominently in some major print events, and soon they'll be ripe for their own print comic).

onizuka43
01-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm excited about the Flash back-up with Wally, but then again I've been a fan of the Wally West version of the Flash since I was a little kid. Also with Geoff Johns writing it I'm more than happy with that one.

A lot of the others though have no connections, I did enjoy Blue Beetle in his own title when I read it, but the back-up in Booster had no effect on me. The story felt weak compared with what had happened before in his own title.

Than there is back-ups like Ravenger in Teen Titans, which is a boring character to begin with in my opinion. The story adds nothing to the comic, which in many ways I'm still not sure why I get it, I swore I told the guys at the LCS to remove it from my box for a while now.

Metahuman
01-12-2010, 03:49 AM
I'm excited about the Flash back-up with Wally, but then again I've been a fan of the Wally West version of the Flash since I was a little kid. Also with Geoff Johns writing it I'm more than happy with that one.

A lot of the others though have no connections, I did enjoy Blue Beetle in his own title when I read it, but the back-up in Booster had no effect on me. The story felt weak compared with what had happened before in his own title.

Than there is back-ups like Ravenger in Teen Titans, which is a boring character to begin with in my opinion. The story adds nothing to the comic, which in many ways I'm still not sure why I get it, I swore I told the guys at the LCS to remove it from my box for a while now.

Bad news then, my friend, as they cancelled the Wally West back-ups last I heard.

I will agree that the biggest problem most of the back-ups have is a disconnection from the main feature. But with the revisions to the program in the next few months, I think DC will be taking steps to alleviate that.