PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Top 10 lists

Mark Bertolini
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm interested to see what everyone's top 10 comics of the year were.

I have half a list right now:

1) Scalped: still kicking ass, probably the best Vertigo book on the market.

2) Chew: surprised the hell out of me as to how good it was.

3) No Hero: another Warren Ellis, freaky-tech/superhero mishmash with stunning art by Juan Jose Ryp.

4) Batman and Robin: Grant Morrison+Frank Quitely=excellence. Looking forward to the Cameron Stewart-drawn issues.

5) Old Man Logan: I know it didn't start this year, and I know there was a lot of good and bad about it, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was a lot of fun.

I'll try to finish the list later...who's up next?

ronin7
12-24-2009, 07:58 AM
1. Daredevil: Return Of The King, Brubaker's run had lots of highs and lows, but his ending left an exciting start for Andy Diggle's run.

2. Irredeemable, Mark Waid surprised me by putting out this well-crafted dark Superman story. I thought his best stories were behind him.

3. Dark Avengers, Bendis did it again by innovating something from a concept used once before. He took the Thunderbolts, and regarbed them as Avengers.

Beyond those three I have trouble thinking of ones that came out this year that make my top ten list, as I have not read everything that came out this year.

Mark Bertolini
01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm interested to see what everyone's top 10 comics of the year were.

I have half a list right now:

1) Scalped: still kicking ass, probably the best Vertigo book on the market.

2) Chew: surprised the hell out of me as to how good it was.

3) No Hero: another Warren Ellis, freaky-tech/superhero mishmash with stunning art by Juan Jose Ryp.

4) Batman and Robin: Grant Morrison+Frank Quitely=excellence. Looking forward to the Cameron Stewart-drawn issues.

5) Old Man Logan: I know it didn't start this year, and I know there was a lot of good and bad about it, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was a lot of fun.

I'll try to finish the list later...who's up next?

6) Irredeemable: I was never a Mark Waid fan. The only thing I had ever read by the man was Kingdom Come. Now I am one of the Waid faithful, thanks to this book.

7) Sweet Tooth: the only challenger to Scalped's supreme reign at Vertigo, and a reminder that Jeff Lemire kicks mucho ass.

8) Dead Irons: I really liked this. James Kuhoric took his Army of Darkness work and adapted it into a gritty, scary western. And Jason Shawn Alexander is awesome.

9) The Stand adaptations: The most faithful adaptations of this story, period. The god-awful made for TV movie doesn't hold a candle to this.

10) Parker: The Hunter: Darwyn Cooke is a genius. This was far and away his best work, and that's saying something.

NaveenM
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
For me:

1| Asterios Polyp - I can't think of anything else written that made better use of the comic form than this. Some things in here can only be done in a comic.

2| Sweet Tooth - The only monthly I read. Scalped is still my favorite Vertigo, but I'll put this ahead just because it debuted this year.

3| Scalped - As you say, still rockin even now. What a consistent series.

4| Parker: The Hunter - Expanding what a comic/graphic novel can and should be.

5| The Umbrella Academy: Dallas - I thought the first volume couldn't be topped, but I think Way did it. Ba's art was as amazing as always.

6| Crogan's Vengeance - A good all ages read with solid storytelling. A nice change of pace from the more mature stuff.

7| Northworld Vol. 2 - The second half of the story started in 2008. Also all ages, and definitely worth the read.

8| Mayhem! - Nah, just kidding!!!

And that's it. Much of my reading was older stuff, so my Top 10 for 2009 is a little short. Chew is one book I regret missing, but I'll get the first trade.