PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading lately?

Mark Bertolini
12-17-2009, 02:00 PM
There's a ton of pretty decent books on the stands right now, and I've found myself picking more and more of them up recently.

Sweet Tooth: Jeff Lemire is a fucking genius.

Incognito: just got the trade. Brubaker and Phillips is a winning combination no matter what book they're on.

Chew: again, picked up the trade of the first 6 books. Outstanding book.

Astonishing X-Men: I'm really enjoying the Phil Jiminez artwork. I never really dug Simone Bianchi's work, it never fit well with the Warren Ellis script.

Invincible Iron Man: this series just keeps getting better and better, and is featuring the best written Maria Hill ever.

Dan Hill
12-17-2009, 02:45 PM
With you on Invincible Iron Man. I love the Rian Johnson designed covers too. Good enough to frame!

I'll echo Sweet Tooth as well. The latest issue is probably my favourite so far.

Other than that:

Criminal:The Sinners: Up there as my favourite monthly read. Always delivers on art, writing and Val Staples kills on the colours. The backup material make it more of a magazine than a comic book in my eyes.

Scalped: The current arc is great. I was reading this in trades and I couldn't stand the waiting, so I switched.

Punisher:From first to last: A trade collecting three Ennis penned single issues set in the MAX universe. Tyger is probably one of my favourite single issues of a comic ever. Fantastic John Severin art as well. The Cell is another fantastic single issue story. Lewis Llarosa is on art chores on this one and there are a lot of four panel pages that let his art breathe. The weakest of the three to me is The End, but it's still an incredibly well told story with some great Richard Corben art.

Die Hard:Year One: I was anxious about this but Issue 3 finally delivers on what we were waiting for. John McClane vs a boatload of bad guys.

Edit: I took a chance on Hickman's Fantastic Four too recently and didn't regret it. He has a really good handle on the characters.

WilliamStormeSmith
12-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Like you guys I'm enjoying CHEW and Die Hard:YEAR ONE.

BATMAN and ROBIN
DARK AVENGERS
IRREDEEMABLE
USAGI YOJIMBO
FLASH: REBIRTH
BLACKEST NIGHT
ULTIMATE AVENGERS
and many more!

I seem to be reading these few first.

dmh_3000
12-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Just got my copy of Manhunt, it's an indy title. Art is clean and professional, writing is interesting, so I'll probably be checking out the rest of the series.

Also reading Batman & Robin, Red Robin, Detective Comics, Fables, Ex Machina, Fairy Tales Grimm, Captain America and Dark Avengers.

HaphazardJoy
12-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Batman & Robin,
Detective Comics,
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season Eight,
X-men Legacy,
Uncanny X-men,
Astonishing X-men,
Wolverine: Origins,
Cable,
X-Force,
X-Factor,
New Mutants,
Guardians of the Galaxy,
New Avengers,
Mighty Avengers,
Dark Avengers,
Thunderbolts,
Invincible Iron Man,
Thor,
Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and The Stand adaptations.

ronin7
12-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Just picked up Irredeemable, best work by Mark Waid in a long time; perhaps his best work ever.

Looking to pick up some more indie trades when I can save up enough dough.

chaosgoat
01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Well, I plowed through a lot of Marvel books over the holidays, including She-Hulk v. 1 & 2, Civil War, House of M, Secret Invasion, and most of Ultimate Marvel including Ultimatum and the first few issues of the new "Ultimate Comics" line. Now I think I'm going to move on to DC and see if I can makes heads or tails of anything since I haven't picked up a DC book since Kevin Smith was writing Green Arrow... I might read Strangers in Paradise again as well.

JamieRoberts
01-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Honestly, the last few comics I've bought haven been so unmemorable that I struggled to answer this question. The only one I remember in any way was the issue of Amazing Spider-Man by Joe Kelly and Eric Canete, with a Skottie Young cover. There wasn't a thing about that comic that didn't make me happy. Best part was Deadpool's line "That's right! Exploding rocket boots! That's how I defenestrate, chumples!"

Oh, I bought a few X-Books, just to see how they are right now. They're... not good.

NaveenM
01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Jamie, are you reading Sweet Tooth? That and Scalped...well, I can't ever seem to stop talking about them. Best books out there right now IMO.

HaphazardJoy
01-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Oh, I bought a few X-Books, just to see how they are right now. They're... not good.

Maybe you bought the wrong ones. :p

L Jamal
01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Day Tripper and Unwritten from Vertigo
anything from Marvel's Soleil imprint
Archiaia Press HCs (Robotika Okko, Artesia, Engineer, etc)
The Stand from Marvel
The Rocketeer
Invincible
Alex Raymond Flash Gordon collections from Checkers

HaphazardJoy
01-26-2010, 06:05 AM
anything from Marvel's Soleil imprint

Fantastic stuff. I especially loved Samurai, Universal War One, and Scourge of the Gods. I hope they keep up the exchange with Soleil.