View Full Version : The Return of Bruce Wayne

Ian Ascher
12-09-2009, 10:56 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091209-Batman-Return-Bruce-Wayne.html

Let the moaning and groaning begin.....

I'll buy it.

Mark Bertolini
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
There really shouldn't be much moaning and groaning. Of course he was coming back. It's the same as Steve Rogers, there's no way these characters were gone for good. Maybe it would have been better to delay Bruce's return a little bit, the way they did with Rogers, but in the end, did anyone really expect anything different to happen?

I'll read it. I'll give Morrison the benefit of the doubt.

L Jamal
12-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Sounds like Morrison and Brubaker have been sharing notes.

Paul Sanderson
12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
There really shouldn't be much moaning and groaning. Of course he was coming back. It's the same as Steve Rogers, there's no way these characters were gone for good. Maybe it would have been better to delay Bruce's return a little bit, the way they did with Rogers, but in the end, did anyone really expect anything different to happen?

I'll read it. I'll give Morrison the benefit of the doubt.

I'm happy, though I agree, it's a little too soon. I was enjoying Dick and Damian as Batman and Robin. They should have continued for a little while longer before handing back the reins.

Allegory Comics
12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't know if it's "too soon". FINAL CRISIS #6 was released in Jan. 2009 and this new 6 issue miniseries will begin in April 2010 -- which means it won't end until Sept. 2010.

Assuming Bruce becomes Batman again at the end of this series (he may just return and not actually suit up for a month or two still), that's 21 months he'll have been away. Almost 2 full years.

How long did you want? Because I grew tired of it long ago and stopped buying both Superman and Batman books until they actually come back. To be fair, my comics budget had something to do with that decision also, but the storylines made it much easier for me.

As for this story, I don't know that I like the idea of Bruce traveling through time to find his way home. I could deal with him being trapped in ONE time period, but moving through time is kinda weird to me. It'll seem like a series of Elseworlds. Plus, I don't really need to see Pirate Batman.

But, I'll give it a try and see how they plan to spin it.

Paul Sanderson
12-09-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't know if it's "too soon". FINAL CRISIS #6 was released in Jan. 2009 and this new 6 issue miniseries will begin in April 2010 -- which means it won't end until Sept. 2010.

Assuming Bruce becomes Batman again at the end of this series (he may just return and not actually suit up for a month or two still), that's 21 months he'll have been away. Almost 2 full years.

How long did you want? Because I grew tired of it long ago and stopped buying both Superman and Batman books until they actually come back. To be fair, my comics budget had something to do with that decision also, but the storylines made it much easier for me.

As for this story, I don't know that I like the idea of Bruce traveling through time to find his way home. I could deal with him being trapped in ONE time period, but moving through time is kinda weird to me. It'll seem like a series of Elseworlds. Plus, I don't really need to see Pirate Batman.

But, I'll give it a try and see how they plan to spin it.

Oh I agree, I would rather they hadn't gotten rid of Bruce as Batman in the first place, but seeing as they did, and seeing as they've done very well with Dick and Damian as Batman & Robin (which they haven't been for very long), I would have liked to have seen that pair continue for a little longer before the expected return of Bruce as Batman (and let's face it, it's not in that character's nature to return and then not take back the cowl).

Biofungus
12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Now, if Marvel and DC are smart, they'll do a crossover miniseries featuring Bruce Wayne and Steve Rogers adventures in their short time in the afterlife...

Allegory Comics
12-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Oh I agree, I would rather they hadn't gotten rid of Bruce as Batman in the first place, but seeing as they did, and seeing as they've done very well with Dick and Damian as Batman & Robin (which they haven't been for very long), I would have liked to have seen that pair continue for a little longer before the expected return of Bruce as Batman (and let's face it, it's not in that character's nature to return and then not take back the cowl).
I think it probably was (is?) a good story. It at least sounds better than what they're doing in Superman right now. I think Dick was the natural successor to the cowl, but 21 months is pushing it. My wallet can't commit to the series that long, and I lost interest. It probably didn't help that I only infrequently followed the story (because of money), but I did follow it through word of mouth, spoilers and online reviews.

Paul Sanderson
12-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I understand where you're coming from, Ryan.

Does anyone here think Damian will continue on as Robin with Bruce as Batman?

kamikaze
12-11-2009, 07:38 PM
dick will give it up due to his respect for bruce when he's ready. Damian wont give it up easily and bruce may like the challenge.

ponyrl
12-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Now, if Marvel and DC are smart, they'll do a crossover miniseries featuring Bruce Wayne and Steve Rogers adventures in their short time in the afterlife...
batmn travelling thru time, comes to wwII and teams up with cap to fight nazis.

writer kurt busiek.

art steve rude.

I'M THERE!

Eugene Selassie
12-14-2009, 01:03 PM
batmn travelling thru time, comes to wwII and teams up with cap to fight nazis.

writer kurt busiek.

art steve rude.

I'M THERE!

Ponyrl FTW!!!

I'm there as well.

PencilSketchAbuser
12-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I knew it from the very beginning about this, and since at the end of Final Crisis, we can see Bruce Wayne painting murals on the wall :D

PencilSketchAbuser
12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Ponyrl FTW!!!

I'm there as well.
Count me in as well, guys ... :D