PDA

View Full Version : DC: Earth One = Ultimate DC?

Allegory Comics
12-07-2009, 02:07 PM
DC has announced their version of "Ultimate DC" as it were, calling it "DC: EARTH ONE." The first two titles will be SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE (by JMS and Shane Davis) and BATMAN: EARTH ONE (by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank).

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091207-Earth-One-DCU.html

What characters should they do next, and to which creators would you give them? Obviously WONDER WOMAN probably will be the next one announced. I'm not sure who they'd get to do it, though.

I don't like the idea that these are a series of OGNs. I would have preferred traditional format monthlies. But I'm anxious to see how they'll do.

Knuckles
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm interested and I really like the graphic novel format, cause that is usually the only format I get.

Doctor Shock
12-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Hate that Batman costume.

N Hammer
12-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Another version of the same old characters.... *YAWN* :yawn: :yawn:

Hope they start the stories off with a long origin story...'cause that would be new... :rolleyes:

Biofungus
12-07-2009, 07:09 PM
So does Superman eat people in this iteration?

paul brian deberry
12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Isn't this what the All-Star books where all about?

HaphazardJoy
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Love that Batman costume.

ponyrl
12-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Elseworlds? :huh:

Allegory Comics
12-08-2009, 12:56 AM
In the DC Multiverse this is just another of many known universes, and as such isn't terribly different from the concept of Elseworlds. What sets it apart is that this is a shared universe with an ongoing continuty -- whereas Elseworlds are mostly one-shots and rarely cross over or present any steady continuity.

Allegory Comics
12-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Isn't this what the All-Star books where all about?
Yes and no. The All-Star line was a place for all star creators to reimagine all star characters however they saw fit. By the definition of a reimagining, that often includes updating for a modern audience but doesn't always include a relaunch. Look at All Star Superman - it never once re-told the origin. It wasn't a relaunch as much as it was giving creators a non-continuity venue to tell their stories.

UniverseX259
12-08-2009, 01:13 AM
In the DC Multiverse this is just another of many known universes, and as such isn't terribly different from the concept of Elseworlds. What sets it apart is that this is a shared universe with an ongoing continuty -- whereas Elseworlds are mostly one-shots and rarely cross over or present any steady continuity.

Except for now when the main DCU is slowly becoming Kingdom Come :confused:

Moonrider
12-08-2009, 04:09 AM
This is a bit of a surprise. I have yet seen the definitive and canonical origin of Batman post-Infinite Crisis, but already they make this kind of thing. I for one would rather they put more focus on the main DCU than 'ultimatizing' it.

Paul Sanderson
12-08-2009, 05:41 AM
I agree with you, Moonie. If DC went to as much effort with their regular books as they do with their silly All-Star titles and now these GNs, they might have something. Still, the art samples for these two GNs looks pretty darn good. Yet more alternate reality stories, though. Just fine and dandy :yawn:

L Jamal
12-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I think this is an attempt to tryout mass market OGNs for the DC Big Guns as a way to transition from the increasingly expensive 32-paged comic book format.

This also gives them the ability to cast aside boneheaded continuity problems like a married Superman and Batman with son in order to focus on the core of the characters.

I'm more interested in the price point and sizes of these as that will be more telling about DC's intent. If they are in the $10-15 range then you're seeing the early replacement for the 32-page format. If they are in the $20-25 range then it's just another typical OGN release like JLA Earth 2 from many years ago.

Shane Davis's cover looks very much like the muddy work that Bermejo did on Superman in Wed Comics. I'd prefer a less muddy Man of Steel.

Aaron Walther
12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't understand the notion that "easily accessible" means retelling origins. And boy was I unsurprised to see JMS is writing Superman's origin, because origins seem to be the only thing he can do well. I'm sure the books will be fine, but it all seems kind of pointless to me.

The only really interesting thing is the OGN format. I've been wishing Marvel and DC would start publishing more OGN, so I guess I got my wish.

L Jamal
12-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Easily accessible to non-comic book people ususally means starting at the beginning so that they know what's going on.

Mark Bertolini
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't mind the Batman costume, but the yellow oval around the bat-symbol has got to go. That hasn't been cool since 1990.

Aaron Walther
12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Easily accessible to non-comic book people ususally means starting at the beginning so that they know what's going on.

Right, I get that. But thanks to movies, television, radio, etc, these characters have attained a place in the pantheon of pop culture icons. The majority of the public understands the basics of the characters. All you need to do to make a story accessible is NOT have it reference every other DC title ever published.

All Star Superman was pretty accessible, and Morrison only spent three panels on the origin.

I just do not want to see this go down the same road as Ultimate Marvel. Restarting a new continuity is only going to get bogged down by its own continuity, and this being DC, they are probably going to have to reconcile how it fits in with their regular continuity for their regular readers.

Doctor Shock
12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
How hard is that to do? I've recently been re-watching Batman the Animated Series with my kids. In one episode you know who Batman is and what he's all about without an origin whatsoever. The following episodes build on that and the origin is sprinkled throughout. How many times will we have to see Bruce's parents killed and him lifting weights in a lab?

Paul Sanderson
12-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Agreed, you two. Well said.

Allegory Comics
12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Because a good story has a beginning, middle and an end. Not always in that order, though. A good example of that is BTAS, as you've said already. They did not open with his origin, but it was told several times during the series' run.

And because this is reimagining, I would assume that elements of the origin will be re-imagined as well.

I know where you're coming from. You're tired of reading the same basic origina over and over again. They just did it in Secret Origin a few months ago, and many, many times before that also. Now this. It gets old. I know. DC rationalizes it by saying they are different universes, and I'm perfectly okay with that.

But just remember this ... A) you don't have to buy it, and B) even if they do start with the origin of Superman I'm sure it will be done and overwith after the first OGN, then they'll move on. Is it really THAT big of a deal?

Aaron Walther
12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Because a good story has a beginning, middle and an end. Not always in that order, though. A good example of that is BTAS, as you've said already. They did not open with his origin, but it was told several times during the series' run.
But Batman's entire life is not the story here, unless you are insisting that this be a finite series that ends with his death. I'm not saying the origin should be ignored or not mentioned, I'm saying it doesn't need to be reinvented for a new continuity. People know the origin, they don't need a new origin spelled out for them in order to enjoy a story just because it's a "new continuity" or whatever. Nor do the origins need to be reinvented with minor superficial changes.

And because this is reimagining, I would assume that elements of the origin will be re-imagined as well.

I know where you're coming from. You're tired of reading the same basic origina over and over again. They just did it in Secret Origin a few months ago, and many, many times before that also. Now this. It gets old. I know. DC rationalizes it by saying they are different universes, and I'm perfectly okay with that.
I get tired of seeing writers try to reimagine a characters' origin period. I think it's the laziest story a writer could try to do. It's a crutch. Thanks to Batman: Year One, it seems everyone thinks the quickest way to writing a big story with gravitas is to reinvent the origin. So...thanks a lot Frank Miller, just another incorrect lesson that a new generation of writers have taken from you.

But just remember this ... A) you don't have to buy it, and B) even if they do start with the origin of Superman I'm sure it will be done and overwith after the first OGN, then they'll move on. Is it really THAT big of a deal? I'm not going to make any premature decisions about quality. I'll wait to see the book in print. But yeah, in the greater scheme of things, I think it is a big deal, otherwise I wouldn't bother commenting on it on a message board. The big deal being, I think DC is incorrect in their assessment that easily accessible stories equates retelling the origins and starting ANOTHER continuity. Multiple continuities are the SOURCE of their problems, not the answer.

And as an aside, if the impetus for this series is to draw in the uninitiated reader, then I doubt they could have picked a worse title. Earth One just makes it sound like it's tied to their regular continuity.

L Jamal
12-08-2009, 07:52 PM
And as an aside, if the impetus for this series is to draw in the uninitiated reader, then I doubt they could have picked a worse title. Earth One just makes it sound like it's tied to their regular continuity.
Only if you're familiar with the regular continuity, otherwise it's just a title.

Moonrider
12-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Which makes me wonder, for whom this line is targeted? Completely new readers, or old readers who hate the current DCU? Furthermore, would new readers buy a $10 comic book?

Biofungus
12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Is it really THAT big of a deal?

"Here, buy our new graphic novel! Half of it is just stuff you've read a dozen times before, only re-imagined!"

Yeah, it kind of is a big deal...

Paul Sanderson
12-08-2009, 08:58 PM
"Here, buy our new graphic novel! Half of it is just stuff you've read a dozen times before, only re-imagined!"

Yeah, it kind of is a big deal...

Agreed. DC, Marvel and the rest of them intending to go down this route need to have a re-think, I'd say.

Allegory Comics
12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Even though it's been told a million times already, I think many people can tell the differences between them. Obviously the 1986 Post Crisis relaunch was majorly different from Pre-Crisis origin. Birthright was modern for its time, and followed Clark as he traveled the world. Secret Origin combines elements from all past tellings into a new cannon. The Elseworlds stories -- not unlike this one -- are set in their own pocket universe where things are often very different (see: Speeding Bullets, The Nail or Red Son).

Superman can be boiled down to one sentence. Baby boy sent from a doomed planet, raised on earth to become our greatest hero. That's the origin and it rarely changes. It's the side details that make each re-telling different and more accessible to modern readers. If they never updated it we'd still be in original Pre-Crisis continuity with all its baggage (even though it still seaps through today).

Now, granted, Superman has had a new origin telling about every 5 years for the past 15-20 years, it seems. Do we really need to update the origin from 2005? No, we don't. The problem, as I see it, is that DC has not yet been able to do it WELL, so they keep throwing darts.

But don't discount the significant differences between the stories. I look forward to seeing what's different in this one, and if I don't like it then I still have my mainstream DC continuity there to catch me. You know ... the one where Superman is not appearing in his own books. :yuk:

Aaron Walther
12-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Only if you're familiar with the regular continuity, otherwise it's just a title.
A title with a secondary meaning that is tied to DC continuity.

When somebody says they like Earth One Superman, they shouldn't to have to clarify which one they mean.

Even if the majority of people don't know or care what DC continuity Earth One is, it's needlessly confusing where it doesn't need to be.

Aaron Walther
12-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Now, granted, Superman has had a new origin telling about every 5 years for the past 15-20 years, it seems. Do we really need to update the origin from 2005? No, we don't. The problem, as I see it, is that DC has not yet been able to do it WELL, so they keep throwing darts.
DC has not been able to do it well because redoing an origin is a FOOL'S errand. I do not need to see Clark texting on a cell phone instead of using a rotary phone to understand why he's Superman.

But my point here really is not how pointless retelling origin stories are, it's that starting a new continuiity with a new origin is not necessary to be accessible. I mean, sure it CAN be, but it doesn't need to be.

Paul Sanderson
12-09-2009, 01:46 AM
But my point here really is not how pointless retelling origin stories are, it's that starting a new continuiity with a new origin is not necessary to be accessible. I mean, sure it CAN be, but it doesn't need to be.

If only the powers that be understood the same concept.

Biofungus
12-09-2009, 02:47 AM
Pffft. Why bother recreating continuity when half the stories are pre-written? Why rent out the cow when they can re-sell the same milk over and over again?

:rolleyes:

Paul Sanderson
12-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Laziness, I know. A creator like Geoff Johns should be above such nonsense.

PencilSketchAbuser
12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Another characters I'd like to be seen arrayed for this Earth One series are: Green Lantern, The Flash, and Aquaman.

As for Superman Earth One, I never been a fan for Shane Davis' Superman. I am not sure I am going to leave it either, since JMS writing the graphic novel. So I am not going to place a preorder on it. Going to order it once they are released, IF I decided to get it :)

Seriously, I like Batman Earth One much better than Superman Earth One, and I will definitely going to get the graphic novel, since I always enjoy Geoff Johns and Gary Frank working together.