PDA

View Full Version : Image United...?

Mark Bertolini
11-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Does anyone really care about this? Maybe I'm off-base, but the heyday of most of these guys has passed by. The fact that the art in the preview is identical to the art in their early 90s books has totally turned me off. There's been no real artistic growth from any of them.

I just find myself not caring about this big "event" at all. The only redeeming quality is Kirkman writing it, but even that's not enough for me to want to read it.

Thoughts?

Allegory Comics
11-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm not terribly interested either. You're right the art looks the same as the early 90s, but there's a reason for that -- the story is intended to be a return to those original characters, by their original creators (except Jim Lee, who is exclusive to DC now, but will still do covers for Image I hear).

So the fact that it looks like the old original Image stuff is very much intentional. The problem is, does anyone really care about those characters anymore? Except a few that have stuck around, most are tired and dated. They're all just parodies of the 90s trend of wild ponytails, cybernetic arms and legs, leg bands, and pouches all over their suits.

The one thing that has me a little interested is the villain.

Spawn apparently killed himself last year (spawn #185) and there is a new Spawn now.
The villain in Image United is the original Spawn, Al Simmons. Why is he a villain now? What happened? That's the interesting question for me.
McFarlane said this is all an attempt to make Spawn more horror and less superhero.

Of course, it doesn't interest me enough to want to buy the books. I'll just follow it through online spoilers, reviews, and word of mouth -- the way I do most books these days.

Biofungus
11-26-2009, 03:56 PM
I just read his 'history' on wikipedia, and have to say "ugh". Seriously. It wasn't the most original concept when it first came out, and just took a spiral nosedive downward as it went along. Glad I stopped reading it in the mid 60's.

Paul Sanderson
11-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, these guys are past it.

L Jamal
11-26-2009, 05:26 PM
They do projects like this for the Image fans.
Those hardcore fans that loved original Image.
They are still out there as evident by the sales.

Ian Ascher
11-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I'll admit it...
I bought it. I read it. I liked it.

I was a big 90s Image fan and even though we're missing Jim Lee and his characters, I was still curious enough to spend the $3.99 to try issue #1 and I'll come back for #2.

We know Al (now calling himself the Omega Spawn with a Power Meter of all Infinity Symbols) is the villain before the book is over so even if he's the only villain to deal with, they're setting it up to be one hell of a fight.

Kirkman has a decent track record as a writer and has a nostalgic love of these characters. From everything I've read, it's his story. The founders are just supplying the art.

Flipping through the pages is fun. Seeing everyone dray their characters. There was only one or two panels where I thought it was a bit forced. The rest looked good.

If you didn't like these characters before, you won't like this. If you were an Image fan in the 90s at least wait and give the TPB a look if you can't buy the series now.

DeadboyPress
11-27-2009, 01:51 AM
I know a lot of people want to knock this book as just some last ditch effort for some of these guys to make money....but the bottom line comes down to this;

Erik Larsen is involved, and that alone gives it merit.

And anyone that doesn't appreciate what Larsen has done and is doing as a creator/artist/writer/business man hasn't spent enough time trying to make a living in the industry.

b.smitty
12-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Image United was pretty good...
for people who think this is a last ditch effort to make money, they should look and see that Image isnt doing bad in the market and all of the creators are doing a decent job in sales for their creations.
It is a kirkman project, which should show some merit since he has done pretty good on his The Walking Dead, Invincible and his time at marvel.
Its not the best thing i've read but probably some of the best stuff i've seen out recently. it is a little cheesy concept and i wont deny that... but the end results are pretty good. dont knock the product if you havent read it and only going on tid bits you've learned online...

Deadfish07
12-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I liked IU. I started reading comics in the late 80s, so it's all nostalgia for me.

The only real disappointing thing is that they couldn't get the WildCats in it. I know they are over in DC right now, but it's not like company crossovers have never happened before in the past.

Rob Norton
12-12-2009, 01:57 PM
i enjoyed it. its fun for the fans.

yeah...the story to start is a bit light on depth and such...but... im interested enough to see where it goes. its great seeing all these characters being drawn by their creators in one book. i loved seeing larsens dragon with silvestris cyberforce.
being drawn by thier creator...it LOOKED like the right character. it felt right. seeing someone like...liefeld drawing savage dragon NEVER looked right.

the only artist to ever get dragon looking right was jason pearson..everyone else blew it huge.

anyway.. its fun.

and i totally disagree that these artists are in a last ditch effort to make money. thats sthe stupidest thing i have ever heard. most of these guys are doing fine. not rich... but fine. they are doing this cause they want to.

and i also done think they are past their prime. larsen is doing what he does. sivestri is better than ever. mcfarlane is looking good. portacio is always solid.. liefeld is...well..liefeld.

rob

N Hammer
12-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm in the group that liked it. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Luke de Sade
12-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm not gonna slam the book, but I read halfway through it when I realized it was not for me, closed it, and returned it to the friend whom I borrowed it from.

darrell31316
12-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I wonder if they plan to have painfully long delays between issues. That would bring back memories.

Jamir with an E
01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I wonder if they plan to have painfully long delays between issues. That would bring back memories.

:laugh: :laugh: .

ponyrl
01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
but then, when you got the book, was it worth the wait? :huh:

Rob Norton
01-07-2010, 09:44 PM
but then, when you got the book, was it worth the wait? :huh:

some were. some werent. like all books from all companies.

as far as tis Image United... so far..2 issues in.. its "okay" story wise. art wise.. it has moments of awesomeness and moments of.. "wow.. thats liefeld. yup. sure sucks next to soemone who can really draw...like silvestri."

rob

Metahuman
01-12-2010, 03:47 AM
I think that the first issue was rather weak, but the second chapter really bumped it up a notch.

And my love for the Bloodstrike: Assassin character was enough for me to give a thumbs up to the Marat Mychaels-drawn Bloodstrike backup.