PDA

View Full Version : Who's on facebook?

castoutcomics
11-26-2009, 03:20 AM
We are looking to connect with other creators and self publishers on Facebook. Go to www.castoutcomics.com and click our Facebook button to join us!

The Dag
11-26-2009, 03:22 AM
hmmm wtf?

ponyrl
11-26-2009, 03:24 AM
I know that tune.

very catchy. :D

castoutcomics
11-26-2009, 03:25 AM
hmmm wtf?

Lol, sorry. Couldn't get the code to work....

Jason Arthur
11-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Can anyone explain to me the point of Facebook versus MySpace?

Do either of them actually lead to more work? Do either of them lead to more readers?

Just curious.

-- J

MartinBrandt
11-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Any advertising, social networking, etc...has the potential to bring in more/new readers.

Magnus
11-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I find Facebook a lot more "tidy" than Myspace. It's pretty easy to navigate once you've got the hang of it.

*cough* *cough*
Nidaros 2042 on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nidaros-2042/138286541160)

I'm a slut...

Aaron Walther
11-26-2009, 11:48 AM
I tried setting up a professional Facebook page for my webcomic, but they won't let me. I get this message:

Our automated system will not approve the name "New Haven Comics" because it contains a word or phrase that is blocked to prevent the creation of unofficial or otherwise prohibited Pages. If you believe this is an error, please contact our Customer Support team.

Then, when I do contact their Customer Support, I never get a reply.

arseneau77
11-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I tried setting up a professional Facebook page for my webcomic, but they won't let me. I get this message:

Then, when I do contact their Customer Support, I never get a reply.

Weird. I set up a Facebook page for my upcoming Zuda submission and I had no problem (Darkwalkers on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/DARKWALKERS/171892581694?ref=search&sid=723260482.652248715..1) is anyone's interested...)

I'm guessing maybe it has to do with the words 'New Haven' in your title? Could it be because it's the name of a city and they block things like that? I dunno...just guessing.

Overall, I don;t find Facebook that useful for attracting new fans. It's pretty much just a way to keep your current acquaintances in the loop in my mind. So far, I've found I've generated MUCH more traffic to my site through Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/G_Arseneau) and (more recently, thanks to jrod turning me onto it), Tumblr (http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard).

Never got into MySpace but from friends who do use it (mostly musicians), I think it generates a lot more 'fans' than Facebook does.

Aaron Walther
11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I figured it was that too, but I don't know why their customer support never replies to me.

Mark Bertolini
11-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm on Facebook, but I don't use it to the fullest extent in terms of marketing and advertising my work. I usually just bullshit about work and what I'm listening to. There's been like 30 status updates about Tom Waits' "Glitter and Doom" album.

Yeah, I'm kinda boring.

arseneau77
11-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I figured it was that too, but I don't know why their customer support never replies to me.

I think that's just Facebook. I know of tons of people who have tried to contact their "customer support" (and I use that term very loosely) and I can't think of an example where I've heard of anyone getting a response. I could be wrong, but at the very least their average isn't great.

What if you tried circumventing the system by doing like 'NewHaven' or something?

Paul Sanderson
11-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm on Facebook, but don't have the time to use it to its full potential. I'm on MySpace too, but no longer use it.

Stephen.Smirl
11-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Do either of them actually lead to more work? Do either of them lead to more readers?

I have had fantastic success with Facebook in the last 2 months. I created a fan page for my project and used social ads to bring in an audience. I used targeted social based on keywords from my project to attract non traditional comic book people. I created a store using a facebook app so that people could buy my book without leaving facebook. The fan page also consistently drives traffic back to my regular site as well.

Tha fan page is here...
www.facebook.com/islandtales

The store is here (fans can access it without leaving facebook)
http://apps.facebook.com/island-tales-store/

I am nearly sold out of my first (albeit short) print run entirely through customers from facebook. If anyone wants help setting up a store in facebook, feel free to contact me.

Magnus
11-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Cool. How much does it cost for an ad directed at particular audiences on Facebook? You pay per click to you page, don't you?

arseneau77
11-26-2009, 06:05 PM
I created a fan page for my project and used social ads to bring in an audience. I used targeted social based on keywords from my project to attract non traditional comic book people.

How did you do that, if you don't mind me asking? Just through the 'promote with an ad' link?

Stephen.Smirl
11-26-2009, 06:18 PM
How did you do that, if you don't mind me asking? Just through the 'promote with an ad' link?

Cool. How much does it cost for an ad directed at particular audiences on Facebook? You pay per click to you page, don't you?

Yeah - if you are the admin on a fan page you can just click on the 'get more fans' button to create an ad. You then have 2 choices - you can pay per click or pay per impression. You can set your budget to something manageable like a few dollars per day. Facebook gives you a suggested price range, but you don't have to follow it. Once you get some fans, then the ad will display to those peoples friends and show that their friends are fans so their is a lot of viral stuff that happens.

Once you've got your ad running, you can use look at all kinds of statistics (you should also review your page insights) and then create multiple ads to see what works best for you. I periodically create an alternate ad with a different picture, copy, keyword, or demographic target.

The biggest surprise to me so far has been the demographic distribution. My fans are currently 65% female to 35% male. My top three segments are women 35-45, women 25-35, and high school girls. And each of these groups is buying product.

Magnus
11-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Great. I'll definitely begin promoting stuff, once everything has gotten a bit further.

So you budget for about, say, 5 bucks a day? And you can decide how long the ad is running, right?

Stephen.Smirl
11-26-2009, 06:41 PM
So you budget for about, say, 5 bucks a day? And you can decide how long the ad is running, right?

Yeah - you can pause the ad at any time - the key is to figure out how much each fan is costing you vs how much those fans are then spending on your product (or whatever other measure you have). We've gotten more than just sales out of it - external reviewers, writers and artists wanting to work on the project, etc.

The other thing to watch for is the unsubscribe rate. Be sure to go back and look at how many people are unsubscribing with each post as this can indicate that you are targeting the wrong people for fans. You can track this through your page insights.

Biofungus
11-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm on Facebook, but don't have the time to use it to its full potential. I'm on MySpace too, but no longer use it.
MySpace has officially alienated anybody using anything but the absolute latest browser. Since I refuse to upgrade to Firefox 3, that means MySpace is leaving me in the dark.

castoutcomics
11-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Great to see all these replies today! I'll definitely be adding those who left their facebook info. For me it's less about advertising and more about being motivated by other who share the same interests.

As for the error about the comic company name, were you trying to create a standard page or a fan page with that name? I know if you try to create a personal page and you don't use your real name they get picky. If you haven't already, try creating a fan page for your business with that name and see if it works.

Well, I'm fading into a turkey induced coma..... :happy:

NILgravity
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I had no problem setting up the page for my campaign Ladendorf for Congress (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladendorf-for-congress/192086804405?ref=ts#/pages/Ladendorf-for-congress/192086804405?v=info&ref=ts)

MartinBrandt
12-02-2009, 10:23 PM
We have a facebook page setup for Grim Furry Tales and Dead Future:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grim-Furry-Tales/67225794340

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grim-Crew-Presents-Dead-Future/121761327309

Jason Arthur
12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
MySpace has officially alienated anybody using anything but the absolute latest browser. Since I refuse to upgrade to Firefox 3, that means MySpace is leaving me in the dark.

Ok, I'll take the bait... why won't you upgrade to FF 3?

-- J

jojomonster
12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I am on face book.

MBirkhofer
12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah - if you are the admin on a fan page you can just click on the 'get more fans' button to create an ad. You then have 2 choices - you can pay per click or pay per impression. You can set your budget to something manageable like a few dollars per day. Facebook gives you a suggested price range, but you don't have to follow it. Once you get some fans, then the ad will display to those peoples friends and show that their friends are fans so their is a lot of viral stuff that happens.

Once you've got your ad running, you can use look at all kinds of statistics (you should also review your page insights) and then create multiple ads to see what works best for you. I periodically create an alternate ad with a different picture, copy, keyword, or demographic target.

The biggest surprise to me so far has been the demographic distribution. My fans are currently 65% female to 35% male. My top three segments are women 35-45, women 25-35, and high school girls. And each of these groups is buying product.
That is really interesting.

Stephen.Smirl
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
That is really interesting.

Facebook tends to skew more heavily female in general (60/40), but i was surprised to see this distribution in the fan base for my comic book project.

Below you can see the impact of add targeting on demographics. There was a point around mid october that i changed my add and the result was a huge spike in fans from the high school girl demo (mostly i just changed the image displayed with the ad). They were outpacing my other groups so much that i changed ads again at the end of october and completely excluded them. They have since fallen down to a smaller portion of the total fan base.

http://islandtales.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/IslandTalesDemo_121009_small.JPG

I am currently doing a sketch card giveaway (art by DW member Drewerd) at www.facebook.com/islandtales and will see how the promo works. I am definately changing my approach on some thing based on the demographic trends.