PDA

View Full Version : For anyone interested in a website about...

ponyrl
11-13-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.savespidergirl.com/

Read thefaq page which surmises a lot of things that I personally agree with.

Save sipder-girl.com has some interesting info.

just sharing. ;)

Allegory Comics
11-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Fans have the power to save Spider-Girl, or any other book they want.

And all it costs them is about $2.99 a month.

Eugene Selassie
11-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Fans have the power to save Spider-Girl, or any other book they want.

And all it costs them is about $2.99 a month.

Yeah, but a few more advertisements would help though.

Just like they would've helped Captain Britain & MI:13, Immortal Iron Fist, She-Hulk, Firestorm, Checkmate, etc...

Some fans, unfortunately only read comics that have Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, JLA in it and won't EVER pick up another title unless those characters appear in their books in story or via an ad.

Sad truth.

Allegory Comics
11-13-2009, 08:16 PM
That's a fair enough argument most of the time, but hardly apt in this case.

Spider-Girl is the in the Spider-Man family, so anyone who was buying books related to high profile characters still might have interest in this one. It's probably true they didn't advertise it enough. I wasn't aware it was still being printed, myself. Occasionally I'd see an ad, or a preview, or a SAVE SPIDER-GIRL campaign like this, to remind me it exists.

But all the campaign and brand awareness isn't going to mean squat if people just don't care.

Those books you mentioned ...
Captain Britain & MI:13, Immortal Iron Fist, She-Hulk, Firestorm, Checkmate, etc...
Speaking only for myself, I have never read them and I have no interest to. They're just not interesting characters to me. I might enjoy seeing them in a supporting role, but I don't think any interest me enough to want to buy a solo title. In this economy I can barely afford to support my own existing pull list.

The real problem is that comics are only ever marketed to existing comic fans. And existing fans know what's out there. No industry ever really has to market to its base. If someone WANTED to read a Spider-Girl book, they would be buying it - and no doubt already are. Any Spider-MAN readers who wanted to check out his extended family also know the book is out there. Sure, advertising helps. But how many more readers do you think you can get when we exist inside a vacuum?

All the advertising in the world isn't going to help you if you're only advertising to people who have demonstrated already that they aren't interested. Either change the product or change your target demographic -- because your EXISTING demographic clearly doesn't care about your EXISTING product. So one of those things have to change.

If they can't do that, then it's time to put the ol' horse down.

Eugene Selassie
11-14-2009, 12:38 PM
I give you much props on your points, but this is where the house of cards collapses...

Those books you mentioned ...
Speaking only for myself, I have never read them and I have no interest to. They're just not interesting characters to me. I might enjoy seeing them in a supporting role, but I don't think any interest me enough to want to buy a solo title.

This is the one that cracks me up ALL the time. How can someone know if a character is interesting if they don't take a chance and actually read them?

And please lets not use the $3.99 price point excuse...Not a single book I listed was there. Some were in the 2.50 range for a long time before hitting 2.99

Allegory Comics
11-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I give you much props on your points, but this is where the house of cards collapses...

This is the one that cracks me up ALL the time. How can someone know if a character is interesting if they don't take a chance and actually read them?

And please lets not use the $3.99 price point excuse...Not a single book I listed was there. Some were in the 2.50 range for a long time before hitting 2.99
Because I'm familiar enough with the characters through guest appearances in other books. It's true that this is a different story with a different creative team, but how many hammers do you need to hit yourself in the head with before you realize ALL hammers hurt?

If anyone was doing anything wildly different or exiciting with them, they would find an audience. Word of mouth goes a long way in this self-contained industry. Look at Daredevil or Green Arrow. Both characters were very boring to me just a few years ago, but when someone started doing something new and exicting with them, word got out and people checked them out. So far no word has spread about these books. No doubt there are people who enjoy them, but it's not piqued the level of exictement or attention yet to make me believe they're doing anything radically different. I'm sure you'd disagree, but the consensus clearly does not.

As for the price issue, every penny counts. It's not a BIG reason, but it is a reason still. I prioritize by books. Books I really want come first (Superman), then books I'm kind of interested in (Batman, Flash, Green Lantern), then books I've heard good things about or look interesting (Captain America, Spider-Man), then new titles I've not heard about or followed very long (Spider-Girl). By the time I get to books like these, my wallet is usually exhausted. If I had a larger budget, I'd be more willing to try new things.

Eugene Selassie
11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
We will have to agree to disagree my friend.

IMHO Greg Rucka's Checkmate, Brubaker/Fraction's Iron Fist, John Rogers' Blue Beetle and Cornell/Kirk's MI:13 were far superior books than Kevin Smith's Green Arrow or DD, or most books on the stands from Marvel or DC during their existence.

Allegory Comics
11-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Regardless of why books like this aren't selling, the fact is, they aren't. So we just come back to ...

All the advertising in the world isn't going to help you if you're only advertising to people who have demonstrated already that they aren't interested. Either change the product or change your target demographic -- because your EXISTING demographic clearly doesn't care about your EXISTING product. So one of those things have to change.

Eugene Selassie
11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Regardless of why books like this aren't selling, the fact is, they aren't. So we just come back to ...

We can go round and round with it.

You say the product isn't stong enough to warrant higher sales.

I say the fans have tunnel vision and because of their refusing to branch out, THEY are the reason those books cancel.

This is the new Great Taste/Less Filling debate. LOL

Eugene Selassie
11-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Imagine if something like pizza didn't catch on because people ONLY will eat burgers, steaks and salads...

I wouldn't be able to get a pepperoni slice...
:(