PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four

Eugene Selassie
11-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Ok...with the first story arc wrapped up, I have to say that this book is in safe hands.
Jonathan Hickman "gets" the character voices and Eaglesham provides such great art, although "barrel chested" Reed still takes some getting used to. Hickman even voiced his displeasure with the handling of the book the last few years (which I respect him for doing).
This is the most excited I've been about FF in a long time...though I enjoyed aspects of the early part of JMS' run before it got co-opted by the summer events and I liked McDuffie's stuff, this is THE BEST FF SINCE WAID/RINGO.

JamieRoberts
11-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I really haven't seen much of this, but coming out of the Millar/Hitch run (which I enjoyed to begin with, but lost interest in halfway through), this feels like when Lobdell/Davis was announced after Heroes Reborn.

I'm not going to pick it up regularly, but I'll try the first trade. I like Hickman's writing.

Mark Bertolini
11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Agreed. I love Hickman, but not so crazy about the FF. I'll pick up the first trade and decide after that.

Eugene Selassie
11-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I really haven't seen much of this, but coming out of the Millar/Hitch run (which I enjoyed to begin with, but lost interest in halfway through), this feels like when Lobdell/Davis was announced after Heroes Reborn.

I'm not going to pick it up regularly, but I'll try the first trade. I like Hickman's writing.

I LOVED the Lobdell/Davis issues and wish they at least got to the "meat" of their story before they got yanked for Claremont.

Millar, not a fan, but I REALLY tried to enjoy the run...just too many inconsistencies with the character handling. (Reset button on Johnny, devolving him back to early days Torch, Doom getting caught flatfooted by the Marquis when he was able to take down or outsmart the Hulk, Silver Surfer, Galactus, even Mephisto???) And the constant stealing of movie scenes (the train in the first issue, the Unforgiven stuff in Old Man Logan, hell even from comics, HE DIDN'T COME UP WITH THE GALACTUS BATTERY, KEITH GIFFEN, DAN ABNETT AND ANDY LANNING DID IN ANNIHILATION!!!!)

But I digress.
I HIGHLY recommend this. Wish there was a way I could pay for you guys' first issues so you can join in the goodness that Hickman/Eaglesham have spun.

ronin7
11-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Ok...with the first story arc wrapped up, I have to say that this book is in safe hands.
Jonathan Hickman "gets" the character voices and Eaglesham provides such great art, although "barrel chested" Reed still takes some getting used to. Hickman even voiced his displeasure with the handling of the book the last few years (which I respect him for doing).
This is the most excited I've been about FF in a long time...though I enjoyed aspects of the early part of JMS' run before it got co-opted by the summer events and I liked McDuffie's stuff, this is THE BEST FF SINCE WAID/RINGO.

Eh, I wasn't crazy about Waid's handling of the Fantastic Four. He had some "nice" insights to the characters, but he seemed lost on what to do with them.

Ian Ascher
11-07-2009, 07:14 AM
I held out on this book because I needed to cut a few titles and I wasnt sure how well someone like Hickman would do on a title like the FF.

Being a fan of his work now on Secret Warriors, this is a run I'd like to revisit in trade or singles if I can find the cheap enough at a con.

Eugene Selassie
11-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Anyone go back and read these issues yet?

Mark Bertolini
11-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Not yet (I'm waiting for the trade, yes, I will be the death of monthly comics), but I'm totally jazzed about Hickman's newly announced Shield series. That looks interesting.