PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Avengers #30

Ian Ascher
10-23-2009, 07:27 AM
This book is always on the edge of my "books to drop" list but I think this issue had the biggest "wow" moment for me in a while.

What Pym discovers is a really cool twist I hope other writers continue once Dan Slott leaves the book and it has me coming back for a few more issues.

HaphazardJoy
10-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Enhhhhhh. It's been on my drop list too, but I just can't seem to shake it. I like a lot of the development focused on Pym, but the latest could be really cool or REALLY lame. We'll see. I liked how Pym, Stark, and Richards were classified and broken down like that by you-know-who though, it was almost like a NewUniversal moment. I wonder where that leaves Cho, or is he the next gen?

Ian Ascher
10-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Cho considers himself the seventh or ninth smartest person on the planet... something like that.

We know Pym, Richards, Stark, Banner, and Doom are all ahead of him in some way or another.

Next-Gen is a good way to describe it.

Mark Bertolini
10-23-2009, 03:45 PM
You guys and your non-spoiler secret talk!

Nano-Love
10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah, spoilers, please. What does Pym discover? I haven't bought any Avengers books in a while but I like Henry Pym as a character so I'd love to know what he's up to.

HaphazardJoy
10-23-2009, 10:29 PM
I never remember how to do those spoiler tags. So....

Spoilers Below
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

Hank Pym uses his abilities and science to pass beyond the boundaries of the universe and encounters Eternity who reveals to him that his team of Avengers is key to healing the chaos in his part of the universe. Largely because, a surprise to Pym, he's the Scientist Supreme. He's the chosen scientific counterpart to the Sorcerer Supreme. Pym's surprised because he's resigned himself to being behind Richards and Stark, but Eternity says that even though Reed is smarter, he represents the Explorer, the type of scientist who yearns mostly to understand and learn. That Stark represents the aspect of the Engineer, for whom science isn't the end, simply the means to shape the world. Eternity tells Pym that he represents the Mage, the scientist who seeks to make the impossible possible.

Nano-Love
10-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the spoiler! I must say that sounds pretty damn fascinating and is very much in character. Pym's drive to make the impossible possible, I mean.

Scientist Supreme... now that makes my wallet itch.

Edit:

I really dig the idea of a Scientist Supreme as a counterpart to the Sorcerer Supreme. Come to think of it, maybe they’re not counterparts as much as they are different manifestations of the same intellectual and/or spiritual hunger.

It brings to mind Arthur C. Clarke’s famous quote:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I'm really curious where they go with Pym's story. Could be great!

Eugene Selassie
10-24-2009, 02:34 PM
God, I love Hank Pym's redemption.
I LOVE Mighty Avengers.

ronin7
10-24-2009, 02:43 PM
My whole problem with Slott is he has Busiekitis - he pays homage to his favorite eras, even cherry picking his favorite elements, but often his stories seem deriviative of what has come before. Instead of breaking the mold like Claremont and Byrne did, or like Bendis/Brubaker/Millar are doing now.

-Mick

Eugene Selassie
10-24-2009, 04:57 PM
My whole problem with Slott is he has Busiekitis - he pays homage to his favorite eras, even cherry picking his favorite elements, but often his stories seem deriviative of what has come before. Instead of breaking the mold like Claremont and Byrne did, or like Bendis/Brubaker/Millar are doing now.

-Mick

You don't think what he's doing with Inhuman's history is groundbreaking. Or the Scientist Supreme concept?
Or the fact that he's the only writer that is using ALL of the varied Avengers concepts now (New, Dark AS WELL AS Young and Initiative) together to make a hell of a story is a breath of fresh air?
He's using the past to build fresh stories to build toward a strong future.
Yes Claremont and Byrne did it, and yes Brubaker does it, but Bendis and ESPECIALLY Millar just seem to ignore stuff to move the story from point A to point B.

Did you not read Civil War?
:har: