PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with the Punisher?

Comix Obsession
10-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty interested in getting into some Punisher comics, as I've never read the character except for minor appearances in other books, and I'm keen to see how he's handled. My only experience of the character is through the Thomas Jane movie, so I'd like to see how he really is in the comics.

What's a good book to start with? I've seen the huge Omnibus by Bendis, I believe it was, but it's priced at over 50 on Play.com. Any suggestions for paperbacks I can start with, perhaps?

ponyrl
10-19-2009, 03:55 PM
depends on what era you have an interest. Pre-2001 I'd say Punisher War zone by dixon/romita jr.

onizuka43
10-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Welcome Back Frank by Garth Ennis is the only Punisher TBP I own and was well worth the cost in my opinion. Though others do enjoy Ennis' other Punisher work I just never really cared for the character and didn't follow him, so I'm not the one to ask about that.

PMarshall
10-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I would start at the beginning, the original limited series 1-5 from '86 with art by Mike Zeck!

Phatman
10-19-2009, 04:40 PM
I would start at the beginning, the original limited series 1-5 from '86 with art by Mike Zeck!

Word.

Comix Obsession
10-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys, looking on Amazon it seems like 'Welcome back Frank' by Ennis and Dillon would be a good start - I LOVED Preacher so this should be a safe bet. (Thanks onizuka43)

Ponyrl - I definitely wanna check out the older stuff, so thanks for the suggestion - if I like the Ennis stuff and enjoy the character I'll definitely check out the Dixon/Romita Jnr material!

PMarshall - thanks, but looks like I might have some trouble finding those? Can't seem to find a collection of them, but I might just be missing them in my search. I'll keep looking out - I love reading origin comics!

L Jamal
10-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Welcome Back Frank is a good start for modern Punisher.

For classic Punisher, anything with art by Mike Zeck is a winner.

Knuckles
10-20-2009, 11:01 AM
I use to read Punisher in the late 80's/early 90's and I loved it, but Welcome Back Frank was a great read and some of the stuff in the Thomas Jane Punisher movie is from that book.

Mark Bertolini
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Garth Ennis' whole Punisher MAX run was killer. Some of the best trades are "In the Beginning", "Kitchen Irish", and "Barracuda".

Probably the best Punisher writing in years. The scene where Nick Fury whips the shit out of one of the rogue generals with his belt is a classic.

Comix Obsession
10-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks, guys!

Looks like I've got some reading to do. It's always great discovering new comics, the whole reason I love them so much.

I'll have a look at some of the Ennis run and work my way back, I think.

Phatman
10-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys, looking on Amazon it seems like 'Welcome back Frank' by Ennis and Dillon would be a good start - I LOVED Preacher so this should be a safe bet. (Thanks onizuka43)

Ponyrl - I definitely wanna check out the older stuff, so thanks for the suggestion - if I like the Ennis stuff and enjoy the character I'll definitely check out the Dixon/Romita Jnr material!

PMarshall - thanks, but looks like I might have some trouble finding those? Can't seem to find a collection of them, but I might just be missing them in my search. I'll keep looking out - I love reading origin comics!

http://www.amazon.com/Punisher-Circle-Blood-Steven-Grant/dp/B001CKDIIS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256055795&sr=8-5

Comix Obsession
10-20-2009, 02:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Punisher-Circle-Blood-Steven-Grant/dp/B001CKDIIS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256055795&sr=8-5

Ah, good stuff! Thanks Phatman, appreciate that! :)

PMarshall
10-23-2009, 06:06 PM
PMarshall - thanks, but looks like I might have some trouble finding those? Can't seem to find a collection of them, but I might just be missing them in my search. I'll keep looking out - I love reading origin comics![/QUOTE]

I just found the whole mini-series on e-bay for 2.95 plus shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-PUNISHER-1986-mini-series-5-issues-MIKE-ZECK_W0QQitemZ150381361745QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item23036d7a51