PDA

View Full Version : Jeph Loeb and....

Ian Ascher
10-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Saw this on Newsarama...

- The previously announced Jeph Loeb/Frank Cho series Ultimate Comics series New Ultimates is set for a March 2010 debut.

And Loeb will also team with Art Adams in 2010 to launch Ultimate X, which will feature of a new team of Ultimate Universe X-Men, including new characters and some of the survivors of Ultimatum.

Two more Loeb books... one with Cho and the other with Art Adams. My thought is at least they're Ultimate books so he can do whatever the hell he wants and we can still look at the beautiful pictures without crying too much.

How long has it been since Art Adams was on a book?

Eugene Selassie
10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Two more Loeb books... one with Cho and the other with Art Adams. My thought is at least they're Ultimate books so he can do whatever the hell he wants and we can still look at the beautiful pictures without crying too much.

I dont know...I've never been the biggest fan of the Ultimate Universe, but I know that there are plenty of people that are. I don't think "He can do whatever the hell he wants" would be apt to say. Especially with those fans still sore after Ultimatum. I do think there will be very pretty pictures, but as with Superman/Batman, Fallen Son, Wolverine, Hulk and Ultimatum, is the price really worth those pretty pictures?

onizuka43
10-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Last I heard Art Adams was working on the Hulk book when it was broken up into two stories a month. Cho would handle red Hulk and Adams would do the Banner stories. That was probably less then a year ago now.

Though they merged the book into one story again (or so I hear since I don't read it.) and I didn't know where Adams had gone since. Though I hope it is good, I use to really enjoy Loeb and his stuff lately really sucked. Plus Adams and Cho are some of my favorite artists.

Ian Ascher
10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Yeah.....that Hulk split was a three issue run only.

Adams just doesn't do much in the way of interiors anymore. That three issue Hulk run was onlyabout one issue worth of story. Before that he was doing an 8 page story for one of Alan Moore's ABC comics for a while.

Aside from Longshot, I don't think Art Adams has done consecutive 22 page issues....ever.

Mark Bertolini
10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah.....that Hulk split was a three issue run only.

Adams just doesn't do much in the way of interiors anymore. That three issue Hulk run was onlyabout one issue worth of story. Before that he was doing an 8 page story for one of Alan Moore's ABC comics for a while.

Aside from Longshot, I don't think Art Adams has done consecutive 22 page issues....ever.

He did a few full issues of Monkeyman and O'Brien for Legend a while back.

At least, I think they were full issues....

Also, he did at least one full issue towards the end of the original Authority run with Mark Millar.

Biofungus
10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
He actually created Monkeyman and O'Brian. He also did several issues of the Dark Horse Godzilla series (he's a big G fan).

Eugene Selassie
10-14-2009, 02:09 PM
And didnt he do the New Fantastic Four with Spidey, Hulk, Ghost Rider and Wolverine?

chris stevens
10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
about two years ago arthur told me he wasn't going to do pages anymore, that it was too painful. so i'm thrilled loeb lured him into this ultimates book.

and yeah, he did those 3 issues of ff back in the day. i guess his 'longest run' on something outside of longshot would be the x-men annual #9 and new mutants special back in '85. that was the equivalent of 5 issues.

there's always the 13 pages of all star batman&robin he did a few years back that no one will ever see.

Ian Ascher
10-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Ah yeah.....

3 issues of FF and some Monkey Man and O'brien....

I guess my point as a whole is Art Adams has never really been a monthly guy in the industry. He'll do something here or there for an issue or two then disappear and resurface doing covers and pin-ups.

ronin7
10-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I dont know...I've never been the biggest fan of the Ultimate Universe, but I know that there are plenty of people that are. I don't think "He can do whatever the hell he wants" would be apt to say. Especially with those fans still sore after Ultimatum. I do think there will be very pretty pictures, but as with Superman/Batman, Fallen Son, Wolverine, Hulk and Ultimatum, is the price really worth those pretty pictures?

Eh, Superman/Batman was like watching a Michael Bay movie - it was a good action romp and worth the time I invested in reading the issues. My favorite of his work is Hulk: Grey with Tim Sale, and I also liked Daredevil: Yellow.

Sure, he's not the character writer that Bendis is, or the idea man that people say Morrison is. But, when he's on his A game, he delivers a good story.

-Mick

Eugene Selassie
10-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Eh, Superman/Batman was like watching a Michael Bay movie - it was a good action romp and worth the time I invested in reading the issues. My favorite of his work is Hulk: Grey with Tim Sale, and I also liked Daredevil: Yellow.

Sure, he's not the character writer that Bendis is, or the idea man that people say Morrison is. But, when he's on his A game, he delivers a good story.

-Mick

I completely agree Ronin...
I just feel that his work hasn't been top notch since Long Halloween, For All Seasons and his Superman run with Mike McKone/Ed McGuinness right around when President Luthor started.

UniverseX259
10-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Ah yeah.....

3 issues of FF and some Monkey Man and O'brien....

I guess my point as a whole is Art Adams has never really been a monthly guy in the industry. He'll do something here or there for an issue or two then disappear and resurface doing covers and pin-ups.

From what I've heard he's a perfectionist and it takes him quite a while to do interior pages. The first work I ever saw from him was his X-Men/New Mutants Annual crossover from the mid-80's which was 64 pages but was also essentially a one-shot. The detail alone was mind-blowing and I couldn't fathom how someone could draw like that.

Then I read elsewhere that it took him 2 years to draw the 6 issues for the Longshot mini-series. So yeah, he's both slow and pays incredible attention to small details.

chris stevens
10-27-2009, 12:14 AM
slow?

perhaps...

the results speak for themselves, arthur is a legend.

and young enough to just keep adding to the work, thankfully...

:banana:

Eugene Selassie
10-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I've always thought Art Adams' rendition of Ben Grimm as definitive.

ronin7
11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I've always thought Art Adams' rendition of Ben Grimm as definitive.

I prefer John Byrne's rendition of Benjy myself.

Eugene Selassie
11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
As far as DEFINITIVE...here are my thoughts...

The Thing when drawn by Art Adams
Mr Fantastic by Alan Davis
The Invisible Woman by Mike Wieringo
The Human Torch by Carlos Pacheco
and Dr Doom by Jim Lee