PDA

View Full Version : Flash News

Ian Ascher
10-04-2009, 08:20 AM
From Newsarama:

The new Johns The Flash title will be a 30-pager, with a Wally West "second feature" by Johns and Scott Kolins, who had a notable run with the character earlier in the decade. Wally West will be sporting a "new look."

Moonrider
10-04-2009, 09:48 AM
From Newsarama:

The new Johns The Flash title will be a 30-pager, with a Wally West "second feature" by Johns and Scott Kolins, who had a notable run with the character earlier in the decade. Wally West will be sporting a "new look."

On his Twitter he said that The Flash will be Barry Allen with Wally as the second feature. Considering both are written by Johns, this is probably going to be the only double feature that works.

Ian Ascher
10-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Considering both are written by Johns, this is probably going to be the only double feature that works.

What do you mean...?

Paul Sanderson
10-04-2009, 08:07 PM
So, I take it Wally will take on a new name/persona? I'm happy Barry is still back and (at least appears to be) staying.

Moonrider
10-04-2009, 11:52 PM
What do you mean...?

Oh, just guessing. I remember in another thread that some people doesn't really like the double feature thing, because not everyone who read the main title care to read the backup story. Since The Flash is going to be, essentially, two Flash comics bound in one and written by the same writer, you'll get your money's worth.

Paul Sanderson
10-05-2009, 05:51 AM
I'll definitely look it over.

ronin7
10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
There's only one place Barry deserves to be -- six feet under.

Aaron Walther
10-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Oh, just guessing. I remember in another thread that some people doesn't really like the double feature thing, because not everyone who read the main title care to read the backup story. Since The Flash is going to be, essentially, two Flash comics bound in one and written by the same writer, you'll get your money's worth.
Greg Rucka is writing both Batwoman and The Question in Detective Comics. That's the only book I read that has a double feature, so I don't know if the other books work are as coordinated as Detective, but there seems to be some attempt going on.

Paul Sanderson
10-05-2009, 06:45 PM
There's only one place Barry deserves to be -- six feet under.

Back luck to you then. As far as I can tell, Barry's staying, and I couldn't be happier :D

Allegory Comics
10-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I came in around the 90s, so Wally has always been my Flash, and I still prefer him over Barry. But I'm happy Barry is back also. I do hope they find a good use for Wally without making him somthing ridiculous and useless, like they did to Kyle Rayner.

Ian Ascher
10-05-2009, 07:09 PM
So, I take it Wally will take on a new name/persona? I'm happy Barry is still back and (at least appears to be) staying.

Further along in the article I lifted this from Dan Didio hinted that Jay has been Flash for years even with Barry and Wally around. Wally will probably still be a Flash, just like Jay.

I see what you mean now, Moon. Most of the back-ups make sense for being in the books they're in. Ravager in Titans, Question in Detective, Blue Beetle in Booster Gold, and so on.

I wonder how many people are buying the books for the back-up features and not the main feature? I'd love to see Capt. Atom but right now can't swing the Superman book just for the back-up.

DC wanted to add the back-ups because they knew they were going to raise the price of the books and because they wanted to expose people to characters they may not try otherwise in a regular monthly book. How many people picked up Streets of Gotham just because it was a Batman book and had never tried Manhunter?

With Flash having a Flash related back-up DC kind of skewers their model.

Paul Sanderson
10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Further along in the article I lifted this from Dan Didio hinted that Jay has been Flash for years even with Barry and Wally around. Wally will probably still be a Flash, just like Jay.

Yes, but too many with the same name gets a bit silly. I have a feeling Wally will eventually change his name. I don't see him keeping the same name as Barry for the long term.

Moonrider
10-05-2009, 11:43 PM
We have millions of Green Lanterns across the galaxy. Two Starman, two Catman, God knows how many Brainiacs out there, not counting characters from other universes. No need for a name change unless the fans demands it.

Storywise if I were Wally, I'd keep my name and identity. It helps to keep the villains on their toes.

Paul Sanderson
10-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I guess. Still, doesn't seem in keeping with Wally's character. He became the Flash only to honour Barry's memory. He may decide in the future to forge a new identity now that Barry's back. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities.

Eugene Selassie
10-06-2009, 02:22 PM
They have 6 issues to sell me on Barry after Rebirth is done.
I respect the hell out of him, but his death meant more than him coming back.
Wally IS the Flash...he surpassed Barry in every sense in and out of the costume.
I'm so sick of DC not willing to look to the future.

Hal HAD to come back because of the piss poor way he was taken off the board.
Barry coming back is a mistake that we will see the consequences of in 2-3 years. Mark my words.

onizuka43
10-06-2009, 03:32 PM
As I've said before on these boards i started reading comics with the Return of Barry Allen storyline so for me Wally will always be the Flash, though I've really enjoyed Rebirth so far and now with Wally getting a back-up I'm much more psyched for this than I had been. I know Johns will handle it well and it will be a fun title especially with Kolins on the Wally art, I will have to add this to my pull list.