PDA

View Full Version : Playing Favorites

Jasen Smith
09-28-2009, 12:30 AM
I have fallen in love with Tony Moore's art. His layouts, character designs, facial expressions, and style just float my boat.

Tim Townsend is also my favorite Inker. He has different styles, and always makes it look nice and pretty.

Who are your favorites and why?

Justice41
09-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Go over to Penciljack or Image and say hi to Tony.

The Predator
09-28-2009, 01:30 AM
There are so many.
However, Serpieri is one of my favourite artists. Hal Foster and Russ Manning.
I liked Greg Land but his art looks more and more stiff now. Sojurn was good. But today, feels plastic or if it is the coloring that does it that way.
1. Serpieri
2. Hal Foster
3. Russ Manning

All the best
The predator

MARS
09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
A few off the top of my head...

John Byrne, Frank Miller and Jim Starlin for being "iron men" of the industry. Writers, pencilers and inkers rolled into one.

Eric Canete for his overall aesthetic. I never get enough of looking at his work. It inspires me to do better.

Dave Cockrum for his understanding of page usage ( if anyone working in comics has issues dealing with wordy writers and lettering placement...he is worth the study). I am currently feelnig the same way about John Buscema's run on the FF.

John Cassidy for his masterful way of making scene transitions seamless. I think he's the best storyteller in comics right now hands down.

Eric Powell. I'm really into him now because of the old school cartoony horror thing he's got going on. And mastering it. I am all about neoclassical innovators.

John Romita Jr for making ethnic characters actually LOOK ethnic for a change. If i see ONE more black man in comics with long straightened hair. I wonder how many artist's get outside in the real world sometimes.

Oliver Copiel for making everything look amazing and larger than life. Hands down the best super hero comic artist working today. I truly believe he is this generations Jim Lee. Underrated.

and that leaves me to Jim Lee.

For being a class act always. Always being open with technique. And being the best spot on sketch artist out there. He is the man. A gentleman always. I am always amazed watching him sketch @ cons. I credit him single handedly for me getting more involved organically with my sketches at shows. Using fingers, spit,q-tips,tooth brushes... Watching Jim draw is something to see.It's hard to explain- but alot of people can crit you and NOT be able to actually show you what they mean and have you "get it".

Jim will sit there and his hand will move around in a certain way that it relates to me and i learn. I know exactly where he's coming from. His talent is ridiculaz and he is a born teacher.

Great thread.

Peace,

M.

madelf
09-28-2009, 11:28 AM
There are too many really great comic artists for me to make a list. I were to go for a single favorite, I'd have to say that I can sit and stare at Chris Bachallo's work for hours, just for the sheer beauty of it (but I still wouldn't say he's the best choice for every comic).

Lee Nordling
09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Just speaking of working folk these days...

Shaun Tan
Darwyn Cooke
Kyle Baker
Bryan Talbot

They're each masterful, in their prime, do it all, have a great editorial range...are visionaries with strong personal voices.

There are a lot of great writers and artists out there, some whose work transcends the comics medium (like Neil Gaiman), some whom are masterful within either the direct market or trade book publishing, so I culled to those who have, at this point in time, absolute mastery of the sequential art medium, and whose work reaches well beyond traditional comics and graphic novel distribution.

--Lee

MARS
09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
There are a lot of great writers and artists out there, some whose work transcends the comics medium (like Neil Gaiman), some whom are masterful within either the direct market or trade book publishing, so I culled to those who have, at this point in time, absolute mastery of the sequential art medium, and whose work reaches well beyond traditional comics and graphic novel distribution.

--Lee

It's interesting that you said that Lee...

I honestly feel that most of my influence comes from artists OUTSIDE of the comic book industry now. I just wanted to stay within the confines of what was asked.

But i feel the same. I get uber jazzed every time i pick up Juxtapoz or Hi-Frutose, not too mention all the japanese anime film directions and designers out there that are amazing. It's amazing how more advanced i feel these artists are to most in the comic industry with what they are putting down. Inspires me constantly to grow as an artist.

That's why i feel the industry needs to explode on new levels. It's more about the product than about the worth of the artistry anymore. My opinion.

I always wonder how amazing it would have been to have been involved in this industry's beginning stages. It must have been scary and exciting.

M.

j giar
09-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Other than the old school traditionalists that I grew up reading (The Buscemas, Romita, Colan, Adams, Kirby, Eisner, Kubert...goes on and on), my tastes are leaning more towards the non traditionalists. Or at least they are to me...
Huge fan of Charlie Adlards work...and it was a gas to find a copy of Nobody to see his early beginnings. Marcelo Frusin, Guy Davis, Eddie Campbell, Tim Sale, our own Kody Chamberlain....just seriously dig their work and I'm striving to reach the point where I can throw off my shackles of rigidity and move into that same mindset.

Barnaby
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Here goes...

John Buscema - sheer awesomeness! He just did't make mistakes!! Number #1 in my book!

John Byrne - one of the best (if not the best) writer/penciler/inker, AND he doesn't miss deadlines!! Mignola is a VERY close second...

Adam Hughes - No words can describe his work... BEST cover artist EVER!!!

John Romita Jr., Alan Davis and Coipel - best guys currently in bussiness (mainstream).

Mike Mignola - best storyteller.

Canete, Eduardo Rizzo, Madureira and Sean Gordon Murphy - great artists in a not so realistic style, very refreshing!

Goran Parlov - the most underated artist I've seen in these last few years!

Lee Nordling
09-28-2009, 03:12 PM
That's why i feel the industry needs to explode on new levels. It's more about the product than about the worth of the artistry anymore. My opinion.

I agree it needs to explode, I don't agree that some stuff isn't leading the way.

I'm writing about sequential art in book trade publishing, though, not the direct market; it's off my radar for this, because it's not the future.

For the stuff that IS leading the way, there is great stuff being produced that's cracking through.

But what is not yet clear is a commercial sense in book trade publishing for material aimed above the teen reader.

Without a brand-name author or title, it's a total crap shoot; nobody knows what will sell...and figuring THAT out will be the future.

Can crime sell if Darwyn Cooke isn't doing it? Don't know.

I believe that more and more creators will become brands, creators that can be counted on to sell x-number titles, but we're not nearly there yet; for comics creators who are serious about doing this for a living THIS is the chance to make your mark...but it has to be done FOR trade book publishing, not some in-the-box cross-genre that would more likely appeal to a thousand readers in the direct market.

Books need to sell TENS of thousands of copies to become viable, and that means creators need to learn the trade book publishing culture as well as they've learned the direct market culture...or simply allowed it to seep in, which is more likely.

Time to put on your marketing hats so you can make the best decisions about what to produce.

I always wonder how amazing it would have been to have been involved in this industry's beginning stages. It must have been scary and exciting.

Yep. Going back to the strip beginnings, where everybody was still making it up, and things like "word balloons" were just getting invented, it's pretty amazing to see what was created.

Imagine being Windsor McCay. He could imagine a drawing, then simply draw what he imagined; a talent that doesn't come along more than once every hundred years or so.

Look at how productive he was as a comic strip creator, editorial cartoonist AND animator.

Before cells existed, they had to redraw everything in a frame by hand; IMAGINE what would have to be figured out to make that work. Then, with Gertie the Dinosaur done, he was a performer on stage, with Gertie doing prearranged tricks to his circus master. One of the first pieces of animation...and it was INTERACTIVE for Christ's sake.

There really isn't an appreciation for what these guys had to figure out...and most of them were better draftsmen than most cartoonists working today.

It was a brave new world that needs several new coats of paint and a total refurbishing.

--Lee

MARS
09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
and most of them were better draftsmen than most cartoonists working today.

--Lee

I could not agree more.

M.

Scribbly
09-29-2009, 09:56 AM
I could not agree more.

M.
Ditto.

lebeau35
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Favorite Pencillers -

John Byrne ( I wanted to pencil just like him and used to ape his shit all the time), Art Adams, Don Perlin, J. Scott Campbell, John Romita Jr., Olivier Coipel, Steve McNiven, Jim Cheung, Terry Dodson, George Perez, Bryan Hitch and Steve Ditko.

Favorite Inkers - Tim Townsend (pound 4 pound, this guy DEFINES inking, IMO), Dexter Vines (Take a look at his Old Man Logan series and TELL me how in the FUCK does he do all of that WITH A BRUSH?! LOL), Don Hillsman II, Mark Morales, Mark Farmer (so delicate with a brush) Jay Leisten ( I've seen Greg Land's pencils in person....HOW Jay inks them I have NO idea). Terry Austin is the MASTER of texture and form.

Mark Bertolini
09-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Geof Darrow. I still marvel at the oversized Hardboiled issues.

More recently, I'm really liking Juan Jose Ryp and Rafael Grampa. These guys have the Darrow-esque style I really dig.

I also love guys like Alex Maleev, Jason Shawn Alexander, CP Smith, and Michael Lark.

The Anti-crest
09-29-2009, 02:30 PM
my favorite style of art is mixed media, that said:

Dave Mckean, Bill Sienkiewicz, David Mack and the artist I work with Renzo Podesta.

As for writing, Octavia E Butler, Neil Gaiman, Joe Bruce and Scott Levy.

Mark Bertolini
09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
In terms of writing, I tend to go with the holy trinity (in my eyes):

Warren Ellis
Grant Morrison
Garth Ennis

However, I'm finding myself drawn towards guys like Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction. I still read a little Bendis and Millar as well.

NaveenM
09-29-2009, 05:25 PM
In terms of writing, I tend to go with the holy trinity (in my eyes):

Warren Ellis
Grant Morrison
Garth Ennis

Ellis for sure. I love Preacher, but haven't read anything else by Ennis.

Bill Willingham is up there, for me. And of course Alan Moore, who seems to be able to pack more story into a page than anyone I know of.

And speaking of Moore, that reminds of Dave Gibbons. I saw him do a panel at San Diego this year. Amazing to watch a master like him in action. Even his stick figures were awesome.

Barnaby
09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
*Name me one person who is paid very well to do what they do and produces an impressive volume and quality of work currently.

If you're talking about comic book artists, John Romita Jr. comes to mind. He's a "superstar" and can easily handle a monthly with great quality art and no delays.