PDA

View Full Version : Superman: Secret Origin *spoilers*

Allegory Comics
09-26-2009, 01:56 PM
They've said this series will provide the definitive origin to launch the Man of Steel into the 21st Century. Of course they also said that about Birthright, and every other time they've retold his origin. But this time I think they're really trying to rewrite it. It's much more involved now. They've also said they would be combining elements from the many, many, many different Superman origins and mythos out there now, into one complete story. Mostly it seems to be a mixture of Smallville and pre-crisis stories, with a little of the movie thrown in also.

1. The idea that young Lex lived in Smallville was an old Pre-Crisis idea that was made popular by Smallville. That's back. Like the Pre-Crisis telling Lex was a brilliant boy living in a poor, abusive home. In issue #1, Lex cuts his hand on Kryptonite and I'm betting it infects him and makes him go mad -- or at the very least is the cause of his sudden hair loss.

2. Also from Smallville, Chloe Sullivan is referenced in the book when students are signing the cast on Pete Ross' arm (he broke it when Clark tackled him in football). One student has signed it "Chloe S" - and the rest of her last name is covered up, but we know who it's supposed to be. Hopefully we'll actually meet her in the comics next year!

3. From Smallville yet again is the scene where he discovers his heat vision -- when he gets a little over excited kissing Lana.

4. They've also brought back Superboy, and it appears they'll be bringing back his origin with the Legion. I don't know if I like that, but I'll give it a try. My biggest problem with Superboy is that as the defender of Smallville, it makes his first appearance as SuperMAN in Metropolis less amazing. They should have already known about him by that point, and they might wonder why he left Smallville about the same time Clark did.

5. Another Pre-Crisis element that's back now is the idea that he was actually born on Krypton. In more recent stories, he was conceived on Krypton and his genetically engineered birthing matrix was sent to earth (that thing that looked like a big egg on the ship). Now the ship looks like the old Pre-Crisis/1950s sci-fi ship again, and we know he was placed inside as a living baby.

6. Jor-El's recorded speech to Kal-El is lifted almost word for word from his monologue in Superman: The Movie.

7. This doesn't really count, but they also use the image of Chris Reeve as Clark/Superman, and they do a good job drawing him as a child. It obviously will change from artist to artist, but it's another reference to an outside telling of the story, and artist Gary Frank does it very well. Frank has been using this image of Clark/Superman for more than a year.

Aside from all that, they tried to make sense of other elements; giving us a good reason why Clark wears glasses and why his suit looks like it does. They also tie it together with WORLD OF NEW KRYPTON a bit.

My only problem with the first issue is that it's rushed. You feel like you're missing parts of the story - sometimes even coming into scenes in the middle of the conversation, wondering if you skipped a page. There's a tornado scene in the book that comes out of nowhere and disappears just as quickly. It felt a little needless.

I liked the issue, and I like how they're pulling elements of the story from all different sources. As I read each issue, I'll post here what I caught and where it came from (along with a quick review).

If you catch any references that I miss, please post them here for me.

Knuckles
09-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Didn't the heat vision kiss with Lana happen in the comics before smallville did it?

I kind of remember that, but I don't know from where.

KidIntense
09-26-2009, 03:52 PM
I think this new Superman origin has an ol school feel, and that is a good thing, and it has a movie feel to it as well. That will be fun. :)

Allegory Comics
09-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Didn't the heat vision kiss with Lana happen in the comics before smallville did it?
I have read a LOT of Superman comics, and I don't remember it.

Troy Wall
09-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I picked this up based soley on the greatness that was Johns' seven part retelling of Hal's origin which ran in the Green Lantern title about a year ago. That was a great read. You can tell by the first issue this one is gonna be just as solid.