PDA

View Full Version : CCS vs. SCAD vs. SVA vs. Capcom... whoops, I mean "More"

nickmarino
09-24-2009, 06:40 PM
okay i searched the forums and i found some stuff like i what i was wondering but no solid fit, so i'm posting this thread...

i'm interested in some college-level comic art schooling in north america. i know it's not necessary per se (as other similar threads have stated over and over) but i want the artistic discipline and networking opportunities that some college sequential arts training would provide.

i already have an undergrad, so i'd probably be looking to get a masters degree if possible. (this isn't a requirement for me necessarily, but a nice perk of the schooling)

i've researched lots of places, it looks like the top comic art schools are:

SCAD
CCS
SVA
Kubert

any i'm missing? in terms of other schools, i'd love to find some options on the west coast... but it seems like most of the "comic art" schools are on the east. (one of the biggest reasons i've noted these particular schools is because the networking aspect would be strong)

any grads of these schools out there that could shine some light on the programs?

peruzzo
09-25-2009, 12:44 PM
MCAD (minneapolis college of art and design) has a comic program

MichaelTyler
09-25-2009, 03:02 PM
MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art) doesn't have a Program as far as I know but they offer several courses related to Sequential Art. Plus Jose Villarrubia and Dan Krall are professors there, they lost Brian Ralph to Savannah I believe.

nickmarino
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM
thx for the info! i definitely didn't know about either of those. i've also found that san fran's academy of art university offers some comics focused classes too, but not a degree program specifically.

Lee Nordling
09-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Best advice I can give: go to SVA.

End of story. It doesn't mean others aren't good, but if you have any opportunity to attend this school, you'd be crazy not to.

I wish there'd been anything like it when I went to college; there wasn't.

My past assistant at Nick Magazine went there. Tons of great people went there. There's a solid education there...and it's at the only place in the world where you can simultaneously learn what you need to about the publishing world.

Even when I was at Disney Publishing in L.A., I didn't REALLY learn what what it was all about till I moved east, worked at DC, then a book packager, Nick, and a bunch of other places.

In addition to getting the education, you'll be building the beginning of a network you'll have for the rest of your career.

--Lee